Conversation for Pro (i.e. Working) P4, P4P, P4A Pilots?
764 22 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,

I thought it would be fun to open a dialog with other professionals.  Just wondering how many visitors to this forum do more than just fly as a hobby?  

I have no idea where this conversation will head, but I know there are a bunch of us here who are making a living, atleast in part, through drone photography and videography with our Phantoms.

SO, Maybe some fun questions to answer or think about...
In which country, state, city do you live?
What kind of work do you normally do?
How did you get into that kind of work?
How do you advertise yourself?
Are you full time or part time UAV operator?
Were you in another media-related field (photographer, videographer) prior to starting with Drones?
How do you protect your business?
What stories do you have (good or bad) from gigs?
What kinds of problems have software/firmware issues caused for your business?
Do you have goals to move up to an Inspire or other platform?

Etc etc etc.
2017-9-14
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

I'm not a pro...yet, but an seriously interested in tips on what some of the successful peoples' secrets are.  I tried to advertise in my area and got zero resposes.
2017-9-14
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

flying assistant in a helicopter company and firefighter, using the drone on a rescue mission and training flight at home
2017-9-14
Use props
MaxP4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Here from Italy. I’m web designer and photographer, i yes the drone to make photos from another point of view and small clips for web and social use!
2017-9-14
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm retired so I don't need to made extra money...but, I have a blast collecting some money from my time flying. I never set a price, that will set folks running. What I do is I let folks know I will work within their budget, and sometimes money isn't exchanged, instead they might produce something I can use, or want, and we trade services. I never try to sell myself. If I am at a farm, I ask the farmer if it would be alright for me to fly around their farm. They always say yes. I fly, I shoot folks picking strawberries, blue berries, veggies, etc. I shoot their products, their store, etc. I ask the farmer if there is any literature about their business. I hand them my card as I leave and tell them I will be back in two days. They have no clue on what I'm about to do. I return with  a 30, 60 second commercial and an infoclip. The video sells itself and I let them know it can be used on their facebook page, web site, etc. They ask me how much, we sit and chat ans I usually walk away with some money.
2017-9-14
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It isn't always about the money. I am flying for a charity called Jacobs Run with my hometown Harley-Davidson. There will be multiple tons of people there and hundreds of riders. I will be flying the whole day for the charity and passing out my cards. I will meet folks and folks will see what I do and might use my services at a later time.
2017-9-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-14 08:03
I'm not a pro...yet, but an seriously interested in tips on what some of the successful peoples' secrets are.  I tried to advertise in my area and got zero resposes.

I am in the same category.... Not a pro... but looking at it... strongly
2017-9-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-9-14 08:41
I'm retired so I don't need to made extra money...but, I have a blast collecting some money from my time flying. I never set a price, that will set folks running. What I do is I let folks know I will work within their budget, and sometimes money isn't exchanged, instead they might produce something I can use, or want, and we trade services. I never try to sell myself. If I am at a farm, I ask the farmer if it would be alright for me to fly around their farm. They always say yes. I fly, I shoot folks picking strawberries, blue berries, veggies, etc. I shoot their products, their store, etc. I ask the farmer if there is any literature about their business. I hand them my card as I leave and tell them I will be back in two days. They have no clue on what I'm about to do. I return with  a 30, 60 second commercial and an infoclip. The video sells itself and I let them know it can be used on their facebook page, web site, etc. They ask me how much, we sit and chat ans I usually walk away with some money.

Bold... refreshing.... nice.... I love the idea
2017-9-14
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

I am still an amateur,  still learning about my drone. Hope to improve over the time
2017-9-14
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-9-14 08:50
It isn't always about the money. I am flying for a charity called Jacobs Run with my hometown Harley-Davidson. There will be multiple tons of people there and hundreds of riders. I will be flying the whole day for the charity and passing out my cards. I will meet folks and folks will see what I do and might use my services at a later time.

Ugh... be careful... it is against the law for you to fly over roads and/or people.  Sounds like you will be spending the entire day bending the rules.

Be safe.

FWIW: If you have prop guards, use them.  If you don't have them, buy em and use em.  It could save you tons and tons of money in regard to lawsuits.
2017-9-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I live in Ireland.
I survey wind turbines for a large aerial survey Company from U.K.
All my work is north west of Ireland, offshore and onshore
I'm a pilot company takes care of the business side
I fly matrice and sometimes a very old inspire 1
No recent adverse effects when flying.
I fly 2 days a week, I spend a lot of time waiting for proper whether most of it up hills and mountains in the middle of nowhere.
This year I started flying off shore which is very tricky but hugely enjoyable.
I also have a keen interest in photography, most of the work I've done is community based and is done free gratis and I like it this way.
2017-9-14
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-14 08:03

Hi Captain Whitefoot.... I don't know that there is any secret sauce.  For me, it was massively helpful that I took the time to make a solid sizzle reel.  That sizzle reel gave me a snappy place to look good.  The other thing I did was to use as many relevant keywords as possible on my website.  I now come up on the first page of a google search for Aerial Video and Aerial Photography in my area.  Though the best thing I did was to reach out to all of my existing clients, other production companies in the area, and architects, with three separate mass emails.
2017-9-14
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-9-14 16:47
Hi Captain Whitefoot.... I don't know that there is any secret sauce.  For me, it was massively helpful that I took the time to make a solid sizzle reel.  That sizzle reel gave me a snappy place to look good.  The other thing I did was to use as many relevant keywords as possible on my website.  I now come up on the first page of a google search for Aerial Video and Aerial Photography in my area.  Though the best thing I did was to reach out to all of my existing clients, other production companies in the area, and architects, with three separate mass emails.

Excellent advice.  Thank you for sharing those tips!  I know I have a way to go yet, but you got to start somewhere.
2017-9-14
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I am a reluctant pro as I retired from full time work many years ago. I was pestered into providing specific aerial services for the farm where I fly and on adjacent properties.
2017-9-14
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Me and business are two things that never works together. Offering my service as an UAV pilot and photographer means punishing myself with responsibility, obligations, pressure, artistic compromises, boredom etc. I'm busy enough working on two absolutely not related fields, CAD engineering being my main job and - believe or not - DJ-ing part time at dance parties. I'm making enough money to support myself, my family and my multi-layered hobby. Dreams about moneymaking with Phantom or Mavic are just ridiculous, IMHO. I don't dream ...

2017-9-15
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-15 01:44
Me and business are two things that never works together. Offering my service as an UAV pilot and photographer means punishing myself with responsibility, obligations, pressure, artistic compromises, boredom etc. I'm busy enough working on two absolutely not related fields, CAD engineering being my main job and - believe or not - DJ-ing part time at dance parties. I'm making enough money to support myself, my family and my multi-layered hobby. Dreams about moneymaking with Phantom or Mavic are just ridiculous, IMHO. I don't dream ...

I find flying DJI products very lucrative. I am able to purchase bigger toys!

DJI_0125-2.JPG
2017-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-9-15 01:44

I tend to agree, trying to make a living using only Mavic and phantom, will just put you under pressure , and open your work for much critique which will always lead you into thinking you need better equipment better editing software and soon the hobby you loved is no longer there, but to be replaced by the general hum drum of life.
I fly a couple of days a week commercially, I got the job when doing my commercial license through a guy I met on the course, I had no intention of working professionally was just doing the course as an informative exercise because I wanted to improve my knowledge.
So basically I just look after two AC and fly taking hundreds of pictures I get to travel a bit and it's almost like working my hobby.
I do have another entirely different business which I run with my wife I'm a goldsmith and that pays the mortgage.
I have done some community work but would never charge so no pressure if it goes tits up, but it's something I like doing and have no inclination of making money from it, if I did I think I would have starved to death by now.
2017-9-15
Use props
BaerEssentials
lvl.2
United States

Great opinions here!!!

Keep going, please...
2017-9-15
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-9-15 02:09
I find flying DJI products very lucrative. I am able to purchase bigger toys!

Oh, you funny!
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-9-14 08:41

Great way of working I think!
Not sure if that would work for me, since I do need the money
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-14 15:33
I live in Ireland.
I survey wind turbines for a large aerial survey Company from U.K.
All my work is north west of Ireland, offshore and onshore

Sounds super interesting!
Do you have some footage online?
2017-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-15 10:15
Sounds super interesting!
Do you have some footage online?

All our footage is private and confidential for obvious reasons to protect our company and our clients. Normal onshore is a lot of waiting around can be pretty boring, offshore is very exciting, once you commit to going to sea , you are under time constraints to get the job done, there is a lot of prep with boat and barge so if you launch and don't get the job done it can cost a fair few quid. I'll see if can dig out some photos and with permission put them up.
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-15 11:04
All our footage is private and confidential for obvious reasons to protect our company and our clients. Normal onshore is a lot of waiting around can be pretty boring, offshore is very exciting, once you commit to going to sea , you are under time constraints to get the job done, there is a lot of prep with boat and barge so if you launch and don't get the job done it can cost a fair few quid. I'll see if can dig out some photos and with permission put them up.

I understand.
I maintain a website for a model railway 'group' that a.o. makes very detailed models of ships.
Lots of secret stuff, getting all the drawings for rebuilding on scale is a disaster.
2017-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules