iPhone X w/ Spark RC
4293 30 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paskalicky 4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 260981 ft
United States

I am anticipating getting the iPhone X when it occurred to me the new design will pose an issue with our Spark RC's. Mainly, how will the iPhone X fit into the RC holder?
Any thoughts on solutions?
Looks like a perfect opportunity for third-party accessory or some very clever home mod's. Will DJI have jump on this?
I don't know?  Maybe I'm making issue out of something that's not a problem at all?
I guess a lot of us will find out soon enough.
2017-9-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

The design of iPhone X is just a copy of the since long very elegant Android phones. And since the Android phones fit perfectly in the RC, why should the Apple copy not fit?
2017-9-14
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I'm sure someone will come up with a case that will fit the rc clamps well.  I'm debating getting one too.
2017-9-14
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The problem I have is not with the size of my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge), it's with the otterbox that I use to protect it from my carelessness and clumsiness.  Which bums me out because it really doesn't fit at all (thought I still kind of cram it in there).  But I've damaged my phone when using anything less than an otterbox to protect it.  Choices...
2017-9-14
Use props
paskalicky 4
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-14 08:12
The design of iPhone X is just a copy of the since long very elegant Android phones. And since the Android phones fit perfectly in the RC, why should the Apple copy not fit?

Good point on android.
So are you saying theres not an issue of blocking screen functions in the DJI app w/ android full screen phones? How does it compensate for covering top and bottom of phone where all the sensors are? Maybe app pixel size shrink? Keeping in mind the architecture of the iPhone is vastly different than anything I've seen android. Apple obviously not following android in form or function. We'll have to see
2017-9-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

I believe none of us has had the opportunity yet to try, my comment was only referring to the form factor.
2017-9-14
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

iPhone X: 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm (5.65 x 2.79 x 0.30 in)

iPhone 7 Plus: 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm (6.23 x 3.07 x 0.29 in)

Samsung Galaxy S8: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm (5.86 x 2.68 x 0.31 in)

As stated above, the iPhone X has dimension and weight comparable to phones already on the market. I doubt it will need an adapter unless you've got it in a case.
2017-9-14
Use props
paskalicky 4
lvl.2
United States

It's not the physical size of the phone that concerns me. It's the DJI app real estate on the iPhone screen. Make any sense? Wondering if the app Will be compromised being so many functions on the left and right of the app?
2017-9-14
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

paskalicky 4 Posted at 2017-9-14 09:14
It's not the physical size of the phone that concerns me. It's the DJI app real estate on the iPhone screen. Make any sense? Wondering if the app Will be compromised being so many functions on the left and right of the app?

Totally get it. I've seen some live demos of the iPhone X on various sites. It appears they will have the ability to make apps fit to the screen as they see fit as long as they're iOS 11 compatible. For example, people were complaining that the black "notch" on the iPhone X cuts into full screen video, but Apple clarified you can change setting so that it doesn't happen.

Guess we play wait and see.
2017-9-14
Use props
paskalicky 4
lvl.2
United States

InkedUpDad.com Posted at 2017-9-14 09:41
Totally get it. I've seen some live demos of the iPhone X on various sites. It appears they will have the ability to make apps fit to the screen as they see fit as long as they're iOS 11 compatible. For example, people were complaining that the black "notch" on the iPhone X cuts into full screen video, but Apple clarified you can change setting so that it doesn't happen.

Guess we play wait and see.

Thats what I am saying! - Thanx
Yes I saw that on demo. That's why I believe DJI will need to implement solution via software. Fun to anticipate where this will go ..... HaHa. Tap Tap Tap
2017-9-14
Use props
SparkPete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83852 ft
Germany

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-14 08:40
The problem I have is not with the size of my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge), it's with the otterbox that I use to protect it from my carelessness and clumsiness.  Which bums me out because it really doesn't fit at all (thought I still kind of cram it in there).  But I've damaged my phone when using anything less than an otterbox to protect it.  Choices...

I recommend you have a look at the Quadlock Cases. While not as tough as an Otterbox, my iPhones survived several drops on concrete floor without any damage. And they make your Galaxy mountable in your car, on your bike, in your kitchen, to your arm for running and much more.
Then either get their adhesive mount and screw it on a piece of plastic or wood or even better find someone with a 3D printer and print one from thingiverse i.e. this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2303739
2017-9-14
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

SparkPete Posted at 2017-9-14 10:42
I recommend you have a look at the Quadlock Cases. While not as tough as an Otterbox, my iPhones survived several drops on concrete floor without any damage. And they make your Galaxy mountable in your car, on your bike, in your kitchen, to your arm for running and much more.
Then either get their adhesive mount and screw it on a piece of plastic or wood or even better find someone with a 3D printer and print one from thingiverse i.e. this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2303739

Thanks!  I'll review.  It would be nice to have something durable yet sized small enough to fit more comfortably in the spark RC.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please note that the remote control of spark can support device with 15 cm in length, 8 cm in height and  6 cm in width.
But iPhone X is not tested, please wait patiently and pay attention to the new recommended list.
2017-9-14
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

solution for phones with new aspect ratio that may cause issues with the clamp holder built in. : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721ZMHXB   

actually i take that back, it may not fit the spark controller....  the mavic controller has little more thickness i think but it is the idea that counts!  so use this to get an idea of mounts you may like.

2017-9-14
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4728 ft
United States

What you should ask yourself: Will iOS11 play nice with the DJI spark or will we see more "spark fell from the sky" forum post.
2017-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

What I fail to understand is why problems are being created artificially in peoples imagination before literally anyone has had the opportunity to test and find out if there actually is a problem at all. I find this quite time wasting to be honest and lucky those who apparently have no other problems to deal with...
BUT: Just in case the new iPhone does not fit. Can anyone please explain to me why it should be up to DJI or any other company to adjust their products only because Apple launches a new device that might not be compatible with already existing products on the market? Sorry, but Apple fortunately does not rule this world and it is up to them to well check if any of their new products is compatible with the rest of the world, not the other way round! Gosh, where do we live? Under an Apple tree?
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-15 13:30
What I fail to understand is why problems are being created artificially in peoples imagination before literally anyone has had the opportunity to test and find out if there actually is a problem at all. I find this quite time wasting to be honest and lucky those who apparently have no other problems to deal with...
BUT: Just in case the new iPhone does not fit. Can anyone please explain to me why it should be up to DJI or any other company to adjust their products only because Apple launches a new device that might not be compatible with already existing products on the market? Sorry, but Apple fortunately does not rule this world and it is up to them to well check if any of their new products is compatible with the rest of the world, not the other way round! Gosh, where do we live? Under an Apple tree?

i dont think anyone is concerned about iPhone not fitting..  i think people are concerned doubt the extra screen and lack of bezels..the grippers on the controller cover up a portion of the phone.  i have a S8 which is a reasonable analog for the new iPhone X in terms of aspect ratio and limited/no bezels, and using the built in gripper is an ergonomic nightmare, but it can be done if you bite into the very edges..or use a thin tpu/silicon case and have the gripper bite into that.. neither are ideal solutions because they dont have the best hold on your phone..
2017-9-15
Use props
brasda91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57159 ft
United States

Come on guys, this is simple. Get a stand that you use for a tablet, or larger cellphone
2017-9-15
Use props
Its_Big_Dee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 266024 ft
United States

I fit my 6s plus with a otter box no problem
2017-9-16
Use props
Ken-Rick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18898 ft
Netherlands

Even if you have a case you can unscrew the rubbers from the remote ...!

2017-9-16
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ken-Rick Posted at 2017-9-16 14:00
Even if you have a case you can unscrew the rubbers from the remote ...!
[view_image]

2017-9-17
Use props
Oz Moose
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182884 ft
Australia

I have an LG G6 which has very small bezels.

Yes.... it is a problem as sometimes you can't access options on the edge of the screen.

I actually stopped using the LG G6 and use my old Nexus 5 because of it's larger bezels and none of the screen gets obstructed.

I'd imagine any phones with very small/no bezels will have the same problem.

2017-9-17
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Onomarn Posted at 2017-9-15 13:18
What you should ask yourself: Will iOS11 play nice with the DJI spark or will we see more "spark fell from the sky" forum post.

My Spark (& Mavic) have been Flying perfectly fine since late June and Developer Beta 1 of iOS 11.  They continue to fly perfectly on iOS 11 Golden Master Seed.

No problems, no “fall out of the sky” or “fly always” with any of the revisions that Apple has released over the last 3 months.  

To quote Apple Uses - “It Just Works!”
2017-9-17
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's iPhone Xtra phone will fit. My Nexus 6 and Huawei Mate 9 fitted nicely, considering its bigger than that catching up iPhone. LOL @ the fanboys
2017-9-17
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Well since the s8+ and iphone have almost exactly the same screen real estate (used screen) i think u will be fine. My s8+ is good to go!
2017-9-17
Use props
Oz Moose
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182884 ft
Australia

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 2017-9-17 16:36
That's iPhone Xtra phone will fit. My Nexus 6 and Huawei Mate 9 fitted nicely, considering its bigger than that catching up iPhone. LOL @ the fanboys

LOL @ yourself.

The discussion is not about the physical dimensions of the device, it's about the fact that newer phones with minimal bezels can be a bit of a headache as the grip can obscure part of the display.
2017-9-17
Use props
Kcir
New
Flight distance : 2339 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-15 13:30

I don't believe anyone is suggesting the DJI change anything to accommodate the iPhone X.   

The original question is legitimate as many of us face upgrading our previous generation iPhones.. we have a choice between the iPhone 8 (with original bevel that works fine), or the 'bevel-less' iPhone X.. where the concern is the DJI controller clamp arms will actually cover part of the screen, where previously they covered the bevel.  And note, the the majority of android 'bevel-less' phones, including the galaxy S8 DO have bevels top and bottom, just not side to side, so yes, it actually is a novel issue (not wanting to start a debate iOS versus android)

And yes, first world problems as I debate whether to buy an iPhone 8 that probably will easily work with my expensive toy, or wait and hope to get a X which may or may not have a software solution (from Apple).

2017-9-27
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Greece

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-28
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Greece

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-28
Use props
paskalicky 4
lvl.2
United States

iOS/Android don’t matter. A bezal-less phone is the issue. All functions within the DJI Go app are not accessible due to edge to edge display. Should be a easy option for DJI to offer some scaling.
2017-9-28
Use props
fans9122d114
lvl.3
Flight distance : 252805 ft
  • >>>
United States

brasda91 Posted at 2017-9-15 17:01
Come on guys, this is simple. Get a stand that you use for a tablet, or larger cellphone

finally - a birght spark in a room full of dim bulbs.  I sell tablet stints to iphone X owners all the time for both mavic and spark.  I can't even believe how long this thread  was before you called all these people in here.
2017-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules