Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tighter drone laws in Germany from 1st October 2017
5922 19 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

If you're planning a trip to Germany with your drone, be aware that the drone laws in that country are getting even tougher starting 1st of October 2017.
Use Google Translate, if necessary:

http://www.chip.de/news/Verschae ... oten_108244107.html
https://www.drohnen.de/14181/neu ... ung-ab-januar-2017/
2017-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So you basically can't fly in many places and only to 100m.
But do you also need a permit?
2017-9-14
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9944 ft
Ukraine

Here is come an question to DJI- please suggest an proper safe place for aluminium "license plate" to be fitted on Mavic Pro, that will not affects safe operation and not void a warranty.
2017-9-14
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-14 14:14
So you basically can't fly in many places and only to 100m.
But do you also need a permit?

Yes, if the drone weighs 2 kg or more.
2017-9-14
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

Smaxta Posted at 2017-9-14 22:08
Here is come an question to DJI- please suggest an proper safe place for aluminium "license plate" to be fitted on Mavic Pro, that will not affects safe operation and not void a warranty.

Good question, I hope that DJI comes up with a good solution, because at least all the German drone pilots will be faced with this problem starting 1st of October 2017.
2017-9-14
Use props
IainWB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-14 23:08

Nope, the 100m limit is for all quad copters, unless an exception has been granted by national air traffic authorities.

Translated page: https://translate.google.com/tra ... g-ab-januar-2017%2F
2017-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-14 23:08

I am reading otherwise (>250 gr). But my German is a bit lousy lately.
2017-9-15
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

IainWB Posted at 2017-9-14 23:35
Nope, the 100m limit is for all quad copters, unless an exception has been granted by national air traffic authorities.

Translated page: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.drohnen.de%2F14181%2Fneue-drohnen-verordnung-ab-januar-2017%2F

I replied to his question regarding the permit/license.
2017-9-15
Use props
IainWB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-15 01:10
I replied to his question regarding the permit/license.

Ah, huge apologies! The way the quoting works here on the DJI forum, it means that the quote gets truncated very early and wasn't immediately obvious that it had happened, so I missed that and it read very differently.

My bad and I'll be more aware in the future!
2017-9-15
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-15 01:04
I am reading otherwise (>250 gr). But my German is a bit lousy lately.

My reply was regarding the license.

OK, to avoid a misunderstanding, these are the drone flying rules in a nutshell in Germany:

1) all drones are limited to 100 m in Germany, regardless of their weight and flying must be line of sight
2) starting 1st October 2017, a "knowledge license" is required, if you want to fly a drone that weighs 2 kg or more. IOW, you have to prove on paper that you know what you're doing with your drone
3) if the drone weighs more than 250 g and is equipped with a camera, the pilot needs special permission from the owners when overflying their habited areas, whether the drone is filming or not
4) for drones weighing more than 5 kg, permission to fly is required from the aviation authority
5) if the drone pilot is using goggles, the flight height must not exceed 30 m for drones weighing less than 250 g, but if they are heavier, a second person is absolutely mandatory to constantly keep an eye on the drone
6) no-fly zones now also include gatherings of people, where Police and firefighters are currently in action, sensitive/confidential areas used by the authorities, industry areas, prisons, natural reserves and of course in or near airports.

With all of these tough restrictions, I wonder where a drone pilot can still fly a drone in Germany?  

I have the impression that drone space is getting more and more restricted all over the world, and that our planet is turning into a huge no-fly zone for our drones, except for military drones.
2017-9-15
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

IainWB Posted at 2017-9-15 01:45
Ah, huge apologies! The way the quoting works here on the DJI forum, it means that the quote gets truncated very early and wasn't immediately obvious that it had happened, so I missed that and it read very differently.

My bad and I'll be more aware in the future!

OK, no problem.
When you click on "View full quote", you can see more of the post being replied to.
2017-9-15
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

"I have the impression that drone space is getting more and more restricted all over the world, and that our planet is turning into a huge no-fly zone for our drones, except for military drones."

Alas, yes, the peaceful use is getting restricted.

We can fight it back by contacting legislators and proposing, for example "no-drive" zones for cars with dash-cams and "no-walk" zones for people with smartphones - both are equipped with cameras, and I am more concerned about being covertly spied on from those than from a noisy, easily-spotted drone. In addition, all car owners must obtain written permit from every primes they are about to drive into - every McDonalds drive in, every shopping mall must issues permissions to drive on their properties. That would be only fair considering demand for written permissions when using air.

I hope Norway is not going to follow Germany, Denmark, Spain and others in this nonsence. I read that Norway has the highest number of drones per capita in Europe, and the rules are sensible as they are now.

2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-15 01:53

OK, to avoid a misunderstanding, these are the drone flying rules in a nutshell in Germany:

I have the same feelings...No more drone flying in Germany I guess....
Unless Spark 2 is < 250gr
2017-9-15
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-9-15 02:39
"I have the impression that drone space is getting more and more restricted all over the world, and that our planet is turning into a huge no-fly zone for our drones, except for military drones."

Yes, as you write, cameras are present everywhere in our lives and the cameras in our smartphones are getting better with every new generation.
Also, I find the hysteric reaction of the authorities ridiculous, because they are obviously concerned that a flying drone might hurt or kill somebody.
The hypocrisy here is enormous: Any nincompoop can drive a car, whether he/she is drunk or not, and do obnoxious things with it. I drive a car for over 40 years now, but I have never been stopped by Police to check whether I have a driver's license!
Well over one million people are killed by motor vehicles world wide each year, but the authorities are really worried by our small drones.
2017-9-15
Use props
IainWB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-9-15 02:39

I agree with almost everything you've written.... And your driving a car analogy is a good one.

I don't mind the requirement of an aptitude test and a license though (it's one of the components Germany is implementing and the UK has announced it will in the future as well).  Drone usage is increasing, and as long as drone flying isn't purposefully (or effectively by almost absolute restrictions) made illegal, will continue to make sense. There will be more drones in the sky, so requiring an aptitude test and license is good sense, just like with driving a car.
But once someone has passed that test and is licensed, apart from sensible safety restrictions (eg not flying in air traffic controlled space  (airport's flight path at low altitudes, commercial altitude airspace, etc) then people should be left to fly drones.

If someone gets caught doing something they shouldn't, then like a driving license, there should be penalties and consequences --- with the most serious or persistent offenders having their license revoked?
2017-9-15
Use props
HansWerner
New

Germany

Yes there are several changes in the German law concerning us drone pilots. The rules are as follows:

In general, it is not permitted to fly in certain areas

The German regulation distinguishes between the following rules which depend on the weight of the drone. In general, it is not permitted to fly over nature reserves and within control zones of airports. Flying over buildings of constitutional bodies, federal or state authorities and over residential properties is also prohibited. Similarly, the use of a drone over crowds of people and locations of police and rescue forces is not permitted.

But even outside of these restricted areas, a drone may not exceed a flight altitude of 100m and must always be flown within sight of the pilot.

UAVs with TOW from 0.25kg upwards - mandatory labelling

From a take-off weight of 250g upwards, the so-called marking requirement applies. UAVs of this weight and above need a permanently attached and fireproof sticker showing the name and address of the owner.

UAVs with TOW from 2kg upwards - Proof of knowledge

If the take-off weight of the drone is 2 kg or more, proof of knowledge is required in addition to the mandatory labelling. The most well-known proof of knowledge is the so called "drone driving licence", but other certificates are also possible.

UAVs with TOW from 5kg upwards - Permission required

In addition to the proof of knowledge and the obligation to attach a label on the drone, for a copter with 5 kg take-off weight or above, a special permit is required. The necessary permission is called "https://versichertedrohne.de/faq ... ufstiegsgenehmigung[/url]" and can be regulated differently depending on the different federal states in Germany where you are planing to fly with your copter.

Model plane airfields are an exception

If the drone is to be flown on a model plane airfield, the regulation of the maximum flight altitude does not apply and also proof of knowledge and permission requirement are not required. Only the obligation of labeling your copter (German "Kennzeichnungpflicht") remains valid.

Information is taken and translated from: https://versichertedrohne.de/blog/die-neue-drohnen-verordnung-2017-das-muessen-piloten-ab-oktober-wissen/

Validity of information: October 2017

Good infographics:

(Source: https://versichertedrohne.de/ )

Hope it helps!
Hans
2017-10-26
Use props
DJI*PEGGY
lvl.1

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-15 01:53

Hi, please can u tell me how to obtain the  "knowledge license" ? how much it costs, or where to apply? I can not find anything.... Thank you!
2018-3-22
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Waiting on harmonisation accross Europe: https://forum.dji.com/thread-137222-1-1.html

2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes, coming into effect across Europe this year. Regulated is in my opinion necessary so welcomed.  

That having been said ground school and certification in Ireland is offensively expensive as is insurance and public liability verging on the ridiculous. Go figure huh  
2018-3-22
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
Second Officer

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-15 02:58
Yes, as you write, cameras are present everywhere in our lives and the cameras in our smartphones are getting better with every new generation.
Also, I find the hysteric reaction of the authorities ridiculous, because they are obviously concerned that a flying drone might hurt or kill somebody.
The hypocrisy here is enormous: Any nincompoop can drive a car, whether he/she is drunk or not, and do obnoxious things with it. I drive a car for over 40 years now, but I have never been stopped by Police to check whether I have a driver's license!

You shouldn't speak if you don't know what you are talking about. Driving is highly restricted and getting a license is quite difficult in Germany. You must spend a lot of money and time passing the courses required. Even in the US you must get a license. And, if you are caught without a license, you're in trouble. You cannot just buy a car and start driving legally.
You can also thank idiots for flying like the morons they are, that's why these regulations exist.
2018-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules