Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Am I being overly cautious? Low and critically low battery levels
2627 35 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
First Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I've set my Low Battery level alarm at 40%, and my Critically Low Battery level at 25%. When the Low Battery Level alarm goes off, I start my landing process, and I usually go motors off at about 35%. The DJI Go app usually shows I have about 9 minutes of flight time left (my flights are usually about 17 minutes, before I hit 40%). I figure by flying until I hit 40%, I'm giving myself a lot of padding, should I need it.
I usually store my other R/C planes LiPo batteries at 35-40% to maximize their useful life, so landing the Mavic Pro at 35% seems like a good idea. With the provided charger there's no way to charge/discharge the Mavic's smart battery to an optimal storage charge, so ending my flights at 35% seems like a good idea to me.

Am I being overly cautious? At what battery level do you guys land?  Do you fly until you hit the Critical Battery Level alarm? What do you have that set to? If it's below 35%, do you charge the batteries for a while to bring them back up to a good storage level? LiPo batteries are expensive and they need proper care.... how do you take care of them?
2017-9-14
Use props
george_007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

I try to land at around 30%. It usually end up between 27-32% left.
After last flight of the day I only partially charge my batteries to approx 60%, never fully charge them.
Before I go out and fly next time I top them off to 100%.

Your thinking will extend battery life.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I don't think so, it can never be too cautious to fly.
2017-9-15
Use props
Locoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I lowered my battery settings to 25% and 10%. I But if I am flying at distance, I keep an eye on the return to home power limit line on my iOS device to make sure that there is enough.  I definitely do not want to run out of juice half way home. Most of my evening flying is east of the setting sun so I am careful when coming home regarding sun glitching the avoidance system and stopping my MP when there is really nothing in the way. That has happened a few time for me. And it is scary, because usually I can't see it and don't know what is really setting it off. If it is a real obstacle or just the sun. The other night I was flying home, away from the sun, close to home, over trees and the avoidance system kept stopping my drone. Since I was at about 200' and am sure nothing was in the way I was getting a little nervous as to what was going on. The flight record didn't show me anything, other then the drone was stopping. So far, I haven't turn off the avoidance sensor, but think I need to train myself on how to do it and think of it at the time.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

no such thing as overly cautious..   its called adapting to your environment and comfort zones.  i have found out that low battery alarm is more then just an alert and alarm.. if you are doing ranged runs, low battery alarm iis a RTH target, that percentage is the target for RTH to have your drone back at your feet by that percentage.    test it out!   i found thats how it works if i keep my drone far away entire time and let RTH do its thing it lands within couple percent of whatever i set my low battery at.

like for me, i tend to run low battery alarm at 19% if its at my farm or around my area i flown before.   and 35% if i'm over water or at the beach.  and 30% if i'm flying out off a mountain side over a valley.  

as for flying until critical battery.. thats a grey area it depends on the chemistry, im going to say that its ok to do.. i treat my batteries fairly badly compared to others.. i run them hard and down to critical levels often.  so far i havent had any losses in runtime i have noticed and i have a bunch of charge cycles.  (i have to check later how many my oldest battery has).

its good to every so often.. like maybe every 20 charge cycles to recalibrate the battery basically keep the battery in the drone until the battery completely dies where the drone turns off then charge it.. that recalibrates zero and letting it charge uninterupted on standard 50watt charger till its full recalibrates 100%
2017-9-15
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Junte, I think you are misunderstood the meaning and consequence of setting critical battery level. Low battery level is a mark to warn user of low battery or reminder of your low battery state. Critical battery level setting there is to mark a point in your battery discharge when the aircraft will land automatically. So setting your critical battery at a high level will only jeopardise your return journal to base since it will give you less time to return under normal command. Imagine the aircraft wants to land when it is still above water. You should set it to as low as possible, ie 10%. So that this setting will not interrupt your return to home. You can still negate automatic landing by pushing the left stick to maintain vertical position.
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think it is good to have a margin. You never know.
2017-9-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Am I being overly cautious?

No. If those settings provide the safety and comfort you need they're fine.

At what battery level do you guys land?

It varies quite a bit for me; typically 20-30%, but sometimes higher or lower.

Do you fly until you hit the Critical Battery Level alarm? What do you have that set to?

My low battery level is set to 20% and critical to 10%. If I land with the low battery warning going off -- as I sometimes do -- then I consider myself to have done a poor job of planning the flight, and if I land with the critical battery warning going off then I consider myself to have done a very poor job. In my opinion anyone who routinely flies until they reach the critical battery threshold isn't likely to be flying the same aircraft very long.

If it's below 35%, do you charge the batteries for a while to bring them back up to a good storage level?

I let them cool off and then charge them back up to around 50% after use, then charge them to 100% shortly before the next use.

LiPo batteries are expensive and they need proper care.... how do you take care of them?

By minimizing their exposure to extremes of temperature and charging levels.

Keep in mind, too, that a lot depends on the nature of the flight: if your Mavic is never going more than, say, 100 feet away then there's no real harm in flying until the batteries reach 10%, but if you're trying to set a distance record then being four miles out with a 50% charge is probably a very bad idea.

Of course the problem is that few of us fly the same path over and over again and probably even fewer want to adjust the battery levels for each flight accordingly. Personally I monitor my battery level closely during the flight and try to pick what I think is a conservative percentage at which I need to start back rather than relying on warnings from the system. I've gotten better at doing that effectively over time, but no two flights are ever identical so there's always some degree of variation between my expectation of how much reserve I'll land with and the reality of what happens.
2017-9-15
Use props
Tmygun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to agree with both Susan and DTK.
  You can never be too cautious......its your sense of safety that matters most....if you feel comfortable landing at 35% then you should land at 35%.  I do not think there is such a thing as overly cautious.....that's like "too much money" or "too much fun"....not sure they exist.
  But like DTK said.....not sure setting CRITICAL battery level at 25% is a good thing........lets say because of a strong wind you don't get back home as soon as you thought and hit that 25 % threshold ....your aircraft will try to auto-land (assuming that is your RTH setting), and you will have to fight not only to get home but to also keep altitude by fighting the RC.  It would be tough during an auto-land situation trying to get into the settings on your app to try to reset critical battery level.  I think when you hit the low battery level you are very conscious of your Batt % anyway until you land.
You seem to have the right attitude and mindset.....Good Luck!
2017-9-15
Use props
Tmygun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

As  far as battery maintenance.  My batteries are usually below 50 % after I fly.  I take them back to my office, put them in front of a small fan and let them cool 30 minutes (even if they already feel cool).
If not using them the next day, I charge them up to at least 51 - 59% which is easy to ascertain because you get 2 solid green lights and a third blinking light on the battery through all the platforms.
2017-9-15
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Being overly cautious can help in keeping the MP out of harms way. I keep my battery low level at 30% and almost always descend/land shortly thereafter. Typically between 18-26 % because I'm cautious and fly very close by. So to the OP; you'r doing the right thing.  
2017-9-15
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

I fly down to 15 and 23 depending but I don't go far or push any limits lol usually i can land and walk to it safely where I fly with also helps
2017-9-15
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

I recommend accessory legs on eBay it a 3 piece set and work great
2017-9-15
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-15 04:31
Am I being overly cautious?

No. If those settings provide the comfort and safety you need they're fine.

Hi Droneflying.

I let them cool off and then charge them back up to around 50% after use, then charge them to 100% shortly before the next use.

So if I understand this correct you load them a little bit and then before the next session you load them fully, am I understand this correctly?

2017-9-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-9-15 10:39
Hi Droneflying.

Yes, that's essentially correct, and it's mainly because I'm not usually sure exactly how long it'll be before I use the battery again. I could, of course, always fully recharge them and instead rely on the auto-discharge (mine are set to do so after 3 days), but I prefer not to leave them fully charged for even a few days. As for the cooling off, that's not strictly necessary either because the batteries themselves won't let you recharge while they're too hot, but I guess I tend to pamper mine a bit.

I should stress that this is just a personal preference of mine and isn't necessarily the "best" way, much less the only correct way; I'm just sharing what I do. My approach may be a bit obsessive / excessive but it seems to work for me: I have 5 batteries that each have about 100 cycles on them and all seem to still be working fine.
2017-9-15
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-9-15 00:08
I lowered my battery settings to 25% and 10%. I But if I am flying at distance, I keep an eye on the return to home power limit line on my iOS device to make sure that there is enough.  I definitely do not want to run out of juice half way home. Most of my evening flying is east of the setting sun so I am careful when coming home regarding sun glitching the avoidance system and stopping my MP when there is really nothing in the way. That has happened a few time for me. And it is scary, because usually I can't see it and don't know what is really setting it off. If it is a real obstacle or just the sun. The other night I was flying home, away from the sun, close to home, over trees and the avoidance system kept stopping my drone. Since I was at about 200' and am sure nothing was in the way I was getting a little nervous as to what was going on. The flight record didn't show me anything, other then the drone was stopping. So far, I haven't turn off the avoidance sensor, but think I need to train myself on how to do it and think of it at the time.

If sun is stopping you - turn switch on right side of RC to sport mode, because that disables the optical avoidance system.  

I use the original 10%c and 30%, because I am cautious.  Also if you have to fly higher the winds can be significantly different at different altitudes.  Something Balloonists do to fly their balloons.

Also, If you go out and the winds are with you, then you will fight them on the way back which means.  You might not have enough reserve power to make it back.  I'm not sure, but I think the drone reports it's ground speed (not airspeed) so If you are flying out faster than you should, you will probably be coming back slower and therefore take longer to get back.
2017-9-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-9-15 11:36
If sun is stopping you - turn switch on right side of RC to sport mode, because that disables the optical avoidance system.  

I use the original 10%c and 30%, because I am cautious.  Also if you have to fly higher the winds can be significantly different at different altitudes.  Something Balloonists do to fly their balloons.

I think the drone reports it's ground speed (not airspeed) so If you are flying out faster than you should, you will probably be coming back slower and therefore take longer to get back.

You're right, Bill: the displayed is ground speed. And yes, that's a good point: the reduction in maximum speed based on the current settings (e.g., P-mode or Sport) is a good way to gauge the effect of the wind on your flight.
2017-9-15
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-15 10:46
Yes, that's essentially correct, and it's mainly because I'm not usually sure exactly how long it'll be before I use the battery again. I could, of course, always fully recharge them and instead rely on the auto-discharge (mine are set to do so after 3 days), but I prefer not to leave them fully charged for even a few days. As for the cooling off, that's not strictly necessary either because the batteries themselves won't let you recharge while they're too hot, but I guess I tend to pamper mine a bit.

I should stress that this is just a personal preference of mine and isn't necessarily the "best" way, much less the only correct way; I'm just sharing what I do. My approach may be a bit obsessive / excessive but it seems to work for me: I have 5 batteries that each have about 100 cycles on them and all seem to still be working fine.

I think that sounds like a concept that should work if you have 100 + charging times and they still work.
Thanks for the tip and happy flying
2017-9-15
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

From now on im being overly cautious also, i belive i almost lost my drone yeasterday, low battery warning at 30% and was flying like 10m high above me and thinking i have plenty of time left to
just fly around me. But suddenly it said "In 8 seconds it will start to fly home" or something like that, and i remember i was taking of in the forest some distance away but i manage to land in my hand. Otherwise it would have rise to 60m and try to land in the forest i think.

Edit: One question, if it had start to fly home, and i pressed the paus button, would it have cancel the fly home?
2017-9-15
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As someone that lost his Mavic due to things going wrong and daft decisions made in panic, I would agree with everyone else; no, you're not being over cautious.

I too have my low battery at 40%, but, as others have also pointed out, there really is no point in having your critical battery high; I have mine set to 10% as that is when it goes into auto-land.

You're best bet is to buy a couple more batteries so you never feel the need to push your luck.  I have 4 and a car charger so I always start out with a fully charged battery no matter how many flights I make in a day.

And if you want to see what happens as your battery goes down, watch my 'Critical Battery' video.
(And if you want to see what can happen if you have your low battery setting too low to allow for (expensive) mistakes, check out the 'lost over dover' video...  

Cheers
Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon

2017-9-16
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-9-16 10:59
As someone that lost his Mavic due to things going wrong and daft decisions made in panic, I would agree with everyone else; no, you're not being over cautious.

I too have my low battery at 40%, but, as others have also pointed out, there really is no point in having your critical battery high; I have mine set to 10% as that is when it goes into auto-land.

Ok, thanks everyone for your input. I've kept my Low Battery Level at 40%, but lowered my Critical Battery Level to 12% to prevent PLS (premature landing syndrome)!

Many Mavic pilots have no experience flying electric R/C planes and probably do not understand LiPo battery safety or care. Someone mentioned that it's good to run the Mavic battery down completely every once in a while. You should absolutely NOT do this! LiPo batteries can spontaneously catch fire when over-charged or when over *discharged*. When LiPo batteries burn, water will not put out the fire, neither will your fire extinguisher. They will continue to burn until the lithium is consumed and will likely set fire to whatever is close by (that's what your fire extinguisher is for)!

LiPo (lithium polymer, AKA lithium-ion polymer) batteries should not be fully charged and left in that condition for any length of time. Leaving them fully charged for a couple of days is probably ok, but longer than that, not so good... it can cause permanent damage to the battery. By default, The Mavic smart batteries will begin to self-discharge after 3 days to bring their voltage down to the correct "storage voltage"... which is about 35-40%... but this takes several days. It is best to fly the batteries down to their storage voltage before putting them away until the next weekend. If the batteries are left at a voltage above their storage voltage, the smart battery will begin to discharge itself, as I said earlier. If you take that partially self-discharged battery and try to fly with it, the actual voltage of the battery may not match the LED voltage display on the top of the battery and you could find yourself dealing with a battery that suddenly goes critical, when you thought you had plenty of time remaining.

So, please take care of your LiPo batteries. Spend some time reading up on LiPo battery care and maintenance and you'll get a lot of flights out of each $90 battery you own.
2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-9-16 16:42
Ok, thanks everyone for your input. I've kept my Low Battery Level at 40%, but lowered my Critical Battery Level to 12% to prevent PLS (premature landing syndrome)!

Many Mavic pilots have no experience flying electric R/C planes and probably do not understand LiPo battery safety or care. Someone mentioned that it's good to run the Mavic battery down completely every once in a while. You should absolutely NOT do this! LiPo batteries can spontaneously catch fire when over-charged or when over *discharged*. When LiPo batteries burn, water will not put out the fire, neither will your fire extinguisher. They will continue to burn until the lithium is consumed and will likely set fire to whatever is close by (that's what your fire extinguisher is for)!

ignore my name of a moment, i was messing with someone that said i'm an example of the community and giving me crap.

you cannot run them down entirely, built in protection completely disables the battery if it drops below a certain voltage which is still above the min safe voltage.  the Dji packs have multiple stages of protection built right in..  these are not dumb turnigy li-po packs that you have to externally maintain.  these are smart batteries.. they dont let you have the opportunity to damage them is the big difference.  

0% is not actually 0% remaining... when it indicates 0% that is indicating what it has decided is zero safe runtime left,.. its deciding based on various factors but it can fall out of calibration sometimes by a large amount.   when it cut off from the drone, that also isn't 0% left..still probably extra 2% (or maybe more) above physical protection cut off left.

the idea about draining the batteries flat is that you get it to where the battery is low enough that the drone cuts off, dont have to try to trigger physical protection. just want smart protection telling the drone no more.   then plug it in and let the battery juice up to 100% again, what this does is the circuit now recalibrates its end points, that way you are sure you have done everything in your power to let the smart system know how much real power is left.      i dont suggest doing this alot, just every 20 - 50 flights let the drone land itself, sit doing nothing but blinking its lights until it shuts off from low power, then plug battery in, it should be good..  if the batteries were a little dumber like only have a basic protection board, then no, this wont help you, but dji batteries have a smart board inside that manages things in greater detail.

also with storage/hibernation mode when its self discharges, i highly suggest calibrating it before going on a long flight!  plug battery in to wake it up and all but once it indcates it full fly it around you drain it down till it lands let it turn itself off, then pull battery..let it cool and plug it in...   this is actually very important, because there is a few rare cases that the dji batteries coming out of storage mode have incorrect indicated votlages or percentages left and can potentially go critical early or free fall from protection cutting in and turning it off with no warnings..

2017-9-16
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

DTK Posted at 2017-9-15 00:15
Junte, I think you are misunderstood the meaning and consequence of setting critical battery level. Low battery level is a mark to warn user of low battery or reminder of your low battery state. Critical battery level setting there is to mark a point in your battery discharge when the aircraft will land automatically. So setting your critical battery at a high level will only jeopardise your return journal to base since it will give you less time to return under normal command. Imagine the aircraft wants to land when it is still above water. You should set it to as low as possible, ie 10%. So that this setting will not interrupt your return to home. You can still negate automatic landing by pushing the left stick to maintain vertical position.

Nice point and very important to notice this!!!
2017-9-16
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Dji Community Posted at 2017-9-16 17:23
ignore my name of a moment, i was messing with someone that said i'm an example of the community and giving me crap.

you cannot run them down entirely, built in protection completely disables the battery if it drops below a certain voltage which is still above the min safe voltage.  the Dji packs have multiple stages of protection built right in..  these are not dumb turnigy li-po packs that you have to externally maintain.  these are smart batteries.. they dont let you have the opportunity to damage them is the big difference.  

Nice tips, thank you!
2017-9-16
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Dji community do u have any proof to back this up? Because as of right now i never take my packs below 20% i always follow the 80/20 rule always have with my rc heli's. Now i know dji packs are differemt with the smart capabilities but def want to see some proof
2017-9-16
Use props
C-123 & C-130 G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7962966 ft
United States

Dji Community Posted at 2017-9-16 17:23

Have any others found critically low percentage inaccurate?
2017-9-16
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-16 20:07
Dji community do u have any proof to back this up? Because as of right now i never take my packs below 20% i always follow the 80/20 rule always have with my rc heli's. Now i know dji packs are differemt with the smart capabilities but def want to see some proof

I agree, I'd like to see something from DJI to back this up. It would be nice if it were true, but without supporting documentation I'm not sure we should believe it. Maybe Community has a link from DJI which covers this... or maybe a DJI rep can chime in?
2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
Captain
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-16 20:07

only links i could possibly come up with dont seem to have any solid proof either.  but it makes sense as long as its not terrible often.. can't hurt anything, battery is protected from going too low.  

but  apple still recommends a battery calibration on macbook pros if your battery has a sudden loss of life with no changes. no recommendations for how often to do it just say if you notice a sharp decline. reset the SMC and do a complete charge cycle.  

i plan on giving my feedback in the future if something negative happens.. but so far i have only done 2 calibrations .. first was receiving the batteries in sleep mode/hibernation.. and 1 more since because i crossed over 20 cycles.. so far no life loss, run times are pretty much identical.  only 1 battery has a questionable effect that i have corrected..  or maybe it self corrected, but battery 3 in one of flights was at 34% then suddenly within 1 minutes dropped to 18%.. i did a calibration without testing anything else and since then its been dropping like normal..

2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
Captain
  • >>>
United States

C-123 & C-130 G Posted at 2017-9-16 20:42
Have any others found critically low percentage inaccurate?

cannot prove he is having this issue:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-112868-1-1.html

but i am theorizing based on he said he stored battery for 2 weeks charged and batteries self discharge by default starting at 10 days.. his drone fell out of the air.. dji diana posted a pix of his logs later in the thread saying he canceled RTH on low battery...,  i cannot make heads or tails of it .. shows 3706 millivolts average over the 3 cells..that's pretty far from dead but that's not fully charged either ..  but it shows that he canceled low battery RTH, so im assuming end of his logs, but indicated voltage of 3.7V is not dead.. the battery forces landing usually at 3.2V-3.30V

so my summery is: i assume he stored battery at 100% for 14 days (2 weeks), it started self discharging slowly after 10 days as designed to do..  he said that indicated percentage was 100% and 4 LEDs (as i have heard on other forums happens as well).  so the battery fell out of calibration with out any warnings by default.  he then flew it, it hit low battery/critical battery.. he stopped RTH because it was not going to make it, too slow, and it fell with a indicated voltage of 3.7V..but with indicated percentage of 3%

2017-9-16
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
United States

Dji Community Posted at 2017-9-16 21:03
cannot prove he is having this issue:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-112868-1-1.html

3.2V per cell is generally considered the lowest you can "safely" take a LiPo before causing physical damage. If the smart battery is allowing pilots to get that low, it's leaving no margin for safety, which doesn't sound so smart!
2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-9-16 21:22
3.2V per cell is generally considered the lowest you can "safely" take a LiPo before causing physical damage. If the smart battery is allowing pilots to get that low, it's leaving no margin for safety, which doesn't sound so smart!

depends how its doped and made and the chemistry.  

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

i believe the battery Dji uses is Lithium Manganese Cobalt Oxide

also remeber that lithiunm polymer is a form of a lithium ion.

2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-9-16 20:54
I agree, I'd like to see something from DJI to back this up. It would be nice if it were true, but without supporting documentation I'm not sure we should believe it. Maybe Community has a link from DJI which covers this... or maybe a DJI rep can chime in?

hopefully they do, but they usually stay out of certain things.   

but at least do a calibration if your battery goes into hibernation mode..  i dont want anyone's drone falling out of the sky from an inaccurate reading.  
2017-9-16
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
United States

Well that guy leaving his battery fully charged kimd of asked for it. It sucks but man 2 weeks is a long time. Feel bad for the guy....anyways dji community the battery u calibrated did the total mah go back to tge region of stock values 3830? I wonder if this would help with those values diminishing after so many flights. I notice by battery packs for instance both my batteries came well over 3900mah one is still 3918mah and the other is 3770 and has 10 more flights then the other one. The lower of the two seems healthy everything checks out no voltage sag during flight. Just got me thinking why is it a few hundred mah smaller? Maybe calibration could sort that? But me thinking no way it could a those mah back! I could see how it could get values back in check like what u had happened. Makes ya think tho
2017-9-16
Use props
Dji Community
Captain
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-16 21:55
Well that guy leaving his battery fully charged kimd of asked for it. It sucks but man 2 weeks is a long time. Feel bad for the guy....anyways dji community the battery u calibrated did the total mah go back to tge region of stock values 3830? I wonder if this would help with those values diminishing after so many flights. I notice by battery packs for instance both my batteries came well over 3900mah one is still 3918mah and the other is 3770 and has 10 more flights then the other one. The lower of the two seems healthy everything checks out no voltage sag during flight. Just got me thinking why is it a few hundred mah smaller? Maybe calibration could sort that? But me thinking no way it could a those mah back! I could see how it could get values back in check like what u had happened. Makes ya think tho

it depends where the milliamp hours calculations are stored and how they are determined.. this i'm not sure of.  im sure calibration does change some values and that may result in gaining some minutes back or atleast having a more stable drop off of battery..

when dropped mine like a rock to sub 20% indicated.... decided that was enough! time for me to do a calibration again... and seems that its behaving better now.. if i was thinking more i should have checked ramingin mah's and voltages more than i did and did some testing before calibrating.. but my only goal in mind at the time was to not let that battery fail..

i may start writting down one of my battery's values, battery 3 i think ill put tot he test.. just because it was the one that had the sudden drop out.. and see if a calibration cycle can reset mAh values or atleast change them positively.  
2017-9-16
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
United States

Cool i got ya....gonna keep an eye on the lower mah lipo. See how it behave after 10 more cycles
2017-9-16
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
United States

Yup and thats what i was wondering if u had caught that mah part before doing cal. I am interested in knowing if the cal does restore most of the mah back to what it was. Or close to. I know LiPO batteries do degrade after so many cycles and you do lose mah but i dont think my one lipo should have lost more then 200 mah while the other is still showing over 3900
2017-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules