weather conditions for safe flying
5654 29 2017-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
De Anda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United States

just some general questions about safe flying. what wind speed is your max before you call it day? max heat? or cold. i got the app to check this but not sure. decided to ask some experienced flyers before my first time
2017-9-14
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

max wind speed i would reconsider flying?  around 15 MPH anymore then that i would fly at range.  but i think 22mph winds are still ok to fly in if it is close to you and within easy reach.  not ideal if your taking your drone out over range..

max temp i would reconsider flying in: 110F i wouldn't do any range runs over 110F, dont want thermal limits to be hit on my battery which could cause a free fall if protection cut power.  

min temps i would reconsider flying in: -10F, any lower i wouldnt do range flights.  

for low temperature flying, please keep the batteries warm dont let them freeze or get brutally cold before flight..  rule of thumb  i say for batteries is keep them around room temperature.. meaning 65-75 F before flight.  and after they are done flighting they maybe warm or hot, do not let them rapidly cool off in the cold, slip it into a bag or a pocket or somethign to keep them warm and slowly cool off.. lithium does not like to be thermally shocked..

i would fly in light to moderate snow, and light rain... but i wouldn't fly in heavy foggy snow or heavy or moderate rain.  

dont fly during thunderstorms

dont fly during wind storms

2017-9-15
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I would say it depends on your piloting skills. While there are absolute maximums that no pilot should exceed, you want to be a bit more conservative when you are just starting out.

The Mavic Pro is a really nice drone. It will hover in a pretty stiff wind, but you need to be aware of where your drone is as the battery runs down. If you fly with the wind, it will take you longer to return to your landing spot flying back against it.

My advice is to start off slow. Learning all about the Mavic takes time. Short hops, lots of reading and asking lots of good questions (like this one). Expand your capabilities gradually over time and if you gut tells you "don't", then listen.

When I started flying drones, I practiced during the morning and evening hours. Wind speed is usually at it's lowest during those times and it wasn't a factor in the back of my head when I was trying to concentrate on just flying.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Consult with the manual and product page to see what constitutes for maximum wind speed. Aircraft like the Mavic can be very stable on windy days but you don't want to fly when it is too windy.
2017-9-15
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Actually how gusty the wind is  blowing, is often more important than speed by itself.

In addition to piloting skills, it depends upon your risk tolerance and the terrain.  My reason for having the Mavic is to get great video in mountain settings that hardly anyone else  gets to experience.  For that reason I am willing to take  more risk (I realize that the chances are higher that the Mavic may get hit by a gust and blown into terrain and crash).  If I need to fly close to terrain, it's not just wind speed but terrain and gust factor that I have to consider.  If I am flying above 14,000 feet with no gusts, wind-shear or terrain affecting the wind (which can cause things like strong down drafts), I will happily fly in 20 to 30 mph winds and get good video.  If the terrain is tricky or the wind is gusty there are times when 15 mph is too much.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-9-15 08:47
Actually how gusty the wind is  blowing, is often more important than speed by itself.

In addition to piloting skills, it depends upon your risk tolerance and the terrain.  My reason for having the Mavic is to get great video in mountain settings that hardly anyone else  gets to experience.  For that reason I am willing to take  more risk (I realize that the chances are higher that the Mavic may get hit by a gust and blown into terrain and crash).  If I need to fly close to terrain, it's not just wind speed but terrain and gust factor that I have to consider.  If I am flying above 14,000 feet with no gusts, wind-shear or terrain affecting the wind (which can cause things like strong down drafts), I will happily fly in 20 to 30 mph winds and get good video.  If the terrain is tricky or the wind is gusty there are times when 15 mph is too much.

30 mph winds?  i mean i know it will be stable with positioning if the wind is constant,  but it will struggle in those winds to make progress especially outside of sport mode..   i wouldn't do that unless i had to like the wind started kicking up while im already out.. but i wouldn't start with 30mph winds. thats some serious "tolerance" you go there to launch it in 30mph winds..

and yes gusty winds are definitely the overlooked thing..  you are right, the aircraft can adapt to constant values and small changes but sudden burst of 15 MPH wind can throw it off enough for most people to have a brush up with a tree or something, but that's why i call it a day if im flying and value increases to constant 20 mph, at that point i try to avoid the risk of getting my mavic caught in a possible burst/gusts...
2017-9-15
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 00:03
max wind speed i would reconsider flying?  around 15 MPH anymore then that i would fly at range.  but i think 22mph winds are still ok to fly in if it is close to you and within easy reach.  not ideal if your taking your drone out over range..

max temp i would reconsider flying in: 110F i wouldn't do any range runs over 110F, dont want thermal limits to be hit on my battery which could cause a free fall if protection cut power.  

Very good points.  
2017-9-15
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

For me, no more than say 12 mph if I'm flying a far distance, more than 12 mph, it's staying close by. Temps, no less than 45 degrees is just my preference.
2017-9-15
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Mavic uses LiPo Battery 3S not Lithium but the same applies.
2017-9-15
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 09:40
30 mph winds?  i mean i know it will be stable with positioning if the wind is constant,  but it will struggle in those winds to make progress especially outside of sport mode..   i wouldn't do that unless i had to like the wind started kicking up while im already out.. but i wouldn't start with 30mph winds. thats some serious "tolerance" you go there to launch it in 30mph winds..

and yes gusty winds are definitely the overlooked thing..  you are right, the aircraft can adapt to constant values and small changes but sudden burst of 15 MPH wind can throw it off enough for most people to have a brush up with a tree or something, but that's why i call it a day if im flying and value increases to constant 20 mph, at that point i try to avoid the risk of getting my mavic caught in a possible burst/gusts...

For you that makes perfect sense but in order to get video in the places I want I have to push the boundaries of wind speed and gusts bit more than most people.  As it is I will hike for hours to a location and over half the time conditions are not good to fly (the Mavic spends a lot of time just riding in my backpack).  I have hundreds of hours of experience flying in these conditions and certainly don't suggest that what works for me will be OK for others. It takes practice flying and understanding how air currents and winds work up in the mountains. This can be very tricky.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-9-15 10:15
Mavic uses LiPo Battery 3S not Lithium but the same applies.

lipo = lithium polymer.. 3S = 3 cells   long of the short, its lithium battery...  the if you see a battery that has Li in it that means its Lithium based.  

i believe dji uses LiNiMnCoO2 batteries.   or Lithium-Nickel-Manganese-cobalt-oxide  because they have ideal properties for constant high current uses.  like EVs and quadcopters..  they have a large range of voltages 4.35V per cell and can be doped to drain as low as 2.20V per cell.  have a long life, and lower risk of away events that cause fires and such.  however if exceeded they are violent..
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-9-15 12:53
For you that makes perfect sense but in order to get video in the places I want I have to push the boundaries of wind speed and gusts bit more than most people.  As it is I will hike for hours to a location and over half the time conditions are not good to fly (the Mavic spends a lot of time just riding in my backpack).  I have hundreds of hours of experience flying in these conditions and certainly don't suggest that what works for me will be OK for others. It takes practice flying and understanding how air currents and winds work up in the mountains. This can be very tricky.

ya my farm is in the mountains, i have experience with how seemingly unpredictable it can get.. that's why at 20MPH wind, im calling it a day... 20mph wind typically can mean incoming storm or something and gusts can sweep in as strong as 60 mph just ahead of the storm..  wickedly violent down drafts with a drone out of reach and over a valley.. no thanks...

2017-9-15
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Good post.  A related question for you.  I have my Mavic controls really "dumbed down" so that I can make smooth movements while shooting video.  With the control sensitivity set down that way, will I need to be more careful when flying in a wind?  Last night it was only a bit breezy, but at about 140 ft altitude, I got a red box (for the first time) warning me about wind speed.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-9-15 15:12
Good post.  A related question for you.  I have my Mavic controls really "dumbed down" so that I can make smooth movements while shooting video.  With the control sensitivity set down that way, will I need to be more careful when flying in a wind?  Last night it was only a bit breezy, but at about 140 ft altitude, I got a red box (for the first time) warning me about wind speed.

good question.. i haven't thought about that!   personally if the wind is troublesome i use sport mode regardless..  im curious as well if having the controls pulled back to make it slower and smoother would mean the drone sould struggle to fight it beyond position stabilization..
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the answers above, we don't recommend flying the drone when the wind speed exceeds 10m/s, and there will be a prompt which shows up on the upper right when there is a strong wind.
For the temperature, the operating temp for the AC is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), you can learn more on the official web: http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs
And do not fly the drone when it is raining, it is not a waterproof drone.
Hope you have a good flight.  
2017-9-15
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
United States

to the point nice thanks
2017-9-16
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2017-9-15 07:43
I would say it depends on your piloting skills. While there are absolute maximums that no pilot should exceed, you want to be a bit more conservative when you are just starting out.

The Mavic Pro is a really nice drone. It will hover in a pretty stiff wind, but you need to be aware of where your drone is as the battery runs down. If you fly with the wind, it will take you longer to return to your landing spot flying back against it.

yea good answer thanks. flying conservative at first
2017-9-16
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
United States

so wind sock or equivelent?
2017-9-16
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-15 09:48
For me, no more than say 12 mph if I'm flying a far distance, more than 12 mph, it's staying close by. Temps, no less than 45 degrees is just my preference.

fellow student will listen.
2017-9-16
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-9-15 12:53

were you located? what mountains you shot
2017-9-16
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
United States

Yea i after i asked this i went to best buy to look at accessories for my drone and a pair of farmers asked me questions. aperantly they want one to find their cattle in their ranch that has mountains and canyons. i explained all ive learned. but my advice is stronger as cinematographer vs a pilot, i do have safety training and certs so safety is in my mind, so since i got drone ive been studying. all i can for 2 weeks till i get my new phone this monday to fly my drone. despite the fact i have plenty of friends that fly and i could ask i wanted to see others experiences. the mountain comments really raised some questions. my advice was hire some drone pilots to go fly in your ranch and see what fly's best there. now i had an ankle injury and since the surgery im not quite as agile as before. this really kills my hand held steady shots with cameras :/ so i decided a drone was a way to make up for some skills... handicapped.... so yea high wind wont be my thing im not out to film crashes.
2017-9-16
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

De Anda Posted at 2017-9-16 23:16
fellow student will listen.

good stuff ! We're all learning from each other to become better pilots. I've learned a lot from some of these experienced member pilots.
2017-9-17
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

great answers posted here by wolgang and 'i'm here to crash"  - thanks
2017-9-17
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 14:03
ya my farm is in the mountains, i have experience with how seemingly unpredictable it can get.. that's why at 20MPH wind, im calling it a day... 20mph wind typically can mean incoming storm or something and gusts can sweep in as strong as 60 mph just ahead of the storm..  wickedly violent down drafts with a drone out of reach and over a valley.. no thanks...

Great!--it's really valuable to know the local weather patterns.
2017-9-17
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-9-15 15:12

You are right it may be more important to have the Mavic more responsive to your controls but this is only if you come close to some obstacles.  The "dumbed down" setting helps with getting smoother video.
2017-9-17
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

De Anda Posted at 2017-9-16 23:14
so wind sock or equivelent?

A windsock would be nice but you can pretty feel the gust factor. The tricky aspect is it may be gusting a lot more higher up (or lower down if you are flying from mountain tops).
2017-9-17
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

De Anda Posted at 2017-9-16 23:16
were you located? what mountains you shot

I live in Colorado and fly a lot of the 13ers and 14ers.  Take a look at:

Wolfgang's Videos
2017-9-17
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-9-17 17:00
A windsock would be nice but you can pretty feel the gust factor. The tricky aspect is it may be gusting a lot more higher up (or lower down if you are flying from mountain tops).

yea dont see my self in mountains any time soon
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No higher than 15mph for safe flight. Flown in -8 before but kept the batteries nice and snug before take off. Flown on holiday in 34 degree's and had no issues. Batteries were a little warm after but no damage or bulging.
2017-9-18
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

De Anda Posted at 2017-9-17 23:00
yea dont see my self in mountains any time soon

Sure. It's not for everyone (or even most people) but it's my passion.
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules