21143 24 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Can somebody explain these words?  

DIGITAL HD REALTIME VIEW UP TO 1.25 MILES (OUTDOORS AND UNOBSTRUCTED)

http://www.petersonseeds.com/dji-drones.html

http://dronesexchange.co/product ... -hd-1080p-camera-2/

http://drone-shop.org/shop/dji-p ... th-hd-1080p-camera/

...and here they are printed right on the side of a DJI Phantom 3 Professional box:

https://phantompilots.com/attachments/image-jpeg.42886/

...relative to these words?

FCC Compliant: 3.1 mi (5 km)
CE Compliant: 2.2 mi (3.5 km)

http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info#specs

...and these words?

With sensitive control sticks, dedicated buttons, and up to 3.1 mile (5km)*range, your customizable Phantom 3 remote controller gives you a completely new way to fly and interact with your Phantom. Ergonomically built to fit perfectly in your hands, your remote gives you the confidence to fly the way you want.

http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/remote-controller#sub-feature

...and these words?

5. How far can I fly my Phantom 3?The signal transmission distance will vary depending on environmental conditions, but the Phantom 3 series can reach distances of up to 3.1 miles (5 kilometers) away from the pilot when unobstructed and no interference.

http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info#faq

Thank-you

2017-9-15
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive witnessed with my own eyes a flight of  4.2km with an Advance here in the UK full video link the whole way... Thats more than the CE figure - BUT - It basically alters the power output of the RF dependant on your gps location automatically. People in the US get more power than EU/UK because of radio output regulations differences.
2017-9-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I understand the difference between FCC and CE but that doesn't explain the phrase in the OP.  Thanks.

Edit:  After further investigation, I think it's possible that the phrase in the OP has to do with older generation P3As and P3Ps which were initially built with the "new" lightbridge technology of 2014, but soon after, DJI improved lightbridge so that it worked at a significantly longer range and called this new improved lightbridge "lightbridge 2."  And those are what DJI sold to the public thereafter.

However, (I am speculating) there are still unsold versions of the P3A and P3P which have the original lightbridge installed in them and therefore are handicapped as far as range.  And since DJI no longer sells P3A/P ACs directly, these ACs are now being sold to the public via resellers.  I suspect most of the people buying these don't realize they are buying the older first-generation lightbridge products.  The only clue would be in the second sentence in the OP above which should be in the seller's listing somewhere, one would hope.  

What I'm not clear on is the controller.  I know there are three controllers, and they are called GL300A, GL300B, and GL300C.  Is there a way to tell if a particular controller is handicapped with the older original lightbridge?  What if one bought a modern controller?  Would it work with a handicapped older generation AC?  I am thinking probably not.  

There's also the transmitter in the AC.  There are various names.  One is W323.  Another is W323A.  There may be more.  

Again, is there a way to tell what generation of lightbridge is installed on these systems?  

If anybody can confirm or expound on this, that would be great.  Thanks.  
2017-9-15
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-15 03:52
I understand the difference between FCC and CE but that doesn't explain the phrase in the OP.  Thanks.

Hey Mark, what exactly is your question in regards to the OP? It looks like they are advertising one thing, DJI actually claims something else. The "up to 1.25 digital HD view" is maybe their way of not overstating or misleading the customer. We all know our ranges will vary depending on various elements. My P3A  has no problem running out there 2-3 miles. I do it routinely. Is your question about the range achievable by the Advanced?
2017-9-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Hi Ricardo, please see my edited post above.  I actually found the phrase printed on a P3P box.  So this phrase came from DJI.  But I've never seen it before.  I was not flying back in 2014 so I don't know if it existed back then and they're bringing it back.  

I have to go to work soon - be back later.  Thanks!  

Edit:  Found this dated April 2015 which states DJI Lightbridge is also integrated, enabling complete control at up to 1.2 miles (2km) away and a live HD video stream from the camera.

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... ular-consumer-drone
2017-9-15
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-15 03:52

Edit:  After further investigation, I think it's possible that the phrase in the OP has to do with older generation P3As and P3Ps which were initially built with the "new" lightbridge technology of 2014, but soon after, DJI improved lightbridge so that it worked at a significantly longer range and called this new improved lightbridge "lightbridge 2."  And those are what DJI sold to the public thereafter.

Oh I see your concern. I guess I wasn't aware the were 2-versions of the Lightbridge for the P3A & Pro. I do understand when the produced the Phantom 4, it was advertised as an enhanced Lightbridge technology. Maybe one of the more experience forum members can verify what you are asking. I would also like to know what I actually have too. All I can say is that I have very good range with my P3A, it will interesting to find out what version I am running.
2017-9-15
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aerial-Image Posted at 2017-9-15 03:35
Ive witnessed with my own eyes a flight of  4.2km with an Advance here in the UK full video link the whole way...  Thats more than the CE figure - BUT - It basically alters the power output of the RF dependant on your gps location automatically. People in the US get more power than EU/UK because of radio output regulations differences.

This was done using TX with the no. - GL300C - FYI
2017-9-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

OK I have talked with somebody from the other site (Oso) who has a lot of knowledge of the Phantoms and he's explained that the P3A/Ps were released in spring of 2015 with a very conservative spec on the max distance.  After a short time, DJI realized they grossly underestimated the max range of these ACs so they adjusted the specs on their site and on subsequent shipments (as printed on the box).  However, the older boxes were of course already printed and so show the older specs.  Also, some retailers never got around to changing the specs on their sites.  Nonetheless, the ACs sold early on are the same as the ones sold now regarding lightbridge.  There is only one version of lightbridge on the P3A/Ps.  They are all loaded with a form of Lightbridge.  

Early threads on the other site confirm this.

So this is good news.  These things are confusing enough as it is without adding more.

So in summary, they are the same lightbridge, BUT, they have three different controller models which are not equal, and they, or at least the P3P, have at least three different transmitters on the ACs.  And those aren't equal either.  And, it seems it's pretty much luck of the draw what controller you get and what AC transmitter you get if you buy a P3A/P online.  If you bought one off the shelf somewhere, you could see what it is by reading the label on the box.  

Here is more info re the various transmitters from the other site if anybody is interested:  https://phantompilots.com/thread ... 19958/#post-1228079

Thank you.

2017-9-15
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-15 13:06
OK I have talked with somebody from the other site (Oso) who has a lot of knowledge of the Phantoms and he's explained that the P3A/Ps were released in spring of 2015 with a very conservative spec on the max distance.  After a short time, DJI realized they grossly underestimated the max range of these ACs so they adjusted the specs on their site and on subsequent shipments (as printed on the box).  However, the older boxes were of course already printed and so show the older specs.  Also, some retailers never got around to changing the specs on their sites.  Nonetheless, the ACs sold early on are the same as the ones sold now regarding lightbridge.  There is only one version of lightbridge on the P3A/Ps.  They are all loaded with Lightbridge 2.  

Early threads on the other site confirm this.

Very interesting Mark! Thanks for doing some digging and finding this info. Clears a few things up.
2017-9-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

What is not being mentioned here is that there are TWO specs being published. The 'Digital HD Real-Time View up to 1.25 Miles' is the range for the return video signal, and is not the same as the range of the control signal to the aircraft. Usually, the control signal has a longer range than the video return signal, and the video often fails first.

The controllers do not have different versions of transmitters, other than the RC unit for the P3 Standard, which is completely different to the others. The transmission power is the same in all, and is set geographically according to whether you are in a CE regulated country or an FCC regulated country. The RC unit gets the data from the aircraft telling it which country it is in and regulates its transmitter output accordingly.
2017-9-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-15 20:54
The controllers do not have different versions of transmitters...

I do not understand this statement.  See the bottom of post #8.  

Edit:  You must mean the transmitters within the controllers aren't made as an FCC version or as an EC version.  That's true.  It's true for most if not all DJI products.
2017-9-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-15 20:54
What is not being mentioned here is that there are TWO specs being published. The 'Digital HD Real-Time View up to 1.25 Miles' is the range for the return video signal, and is not the same as the range of the control signal to the aircraft.

This is not correct either.  What you apparently meant to say is there WERE (past tense) two specs being published.  We'd have to go back to spring 2015 to prove that.  But as you can see from the outdated ads I found in the OP, there is no listing that shows two specs.  So I am certain you are mistaken.

It's my understanding that lightbridge, by its nature, is generally equal in distance whether it's control or FPV/telemetry, because they are both using the favorable 2.4 ghz freq, and they are both a one-way signal in the sense that there is no cumbersome checksum as there is in a wifi signal.  For example, by buddy in Iowa flew his P3P 19.4 miles and landed it a field with full FPV and control.  That's not to say one signal may not drop out while the other is connected or that the FPV wouldn't be inclined to drop out first due to its complexity.  But there are certainly not two distinct specifications for the control signal and the FPV signal.  

The P3S, of course, is a completely different story.  

2017-9-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-16 03:02
This is not correct either.  What you apparently meant to say is there WERE (past tense) two specs being published.  We'd have to go back to spring 2015 to prove that.  But as you can see from the outdated ads I found in the OP, there is no listing that shows two specs.  So I am certain you are mistaken.

It's my understanding that lightbridge, by its nature, is generally equal in distance whether it's control or FPV/telemetry, because they are both using the favorable 2.4 ghz freq, and they are both a one-way signal in the sense that there is no cumbersome checksum as there is in a wifi signal.  For example, by buddy in Iowa flew his P3P 19.4 miles and landed it a field with full FPV and control.  That's not to say one signal may not drop out while the other is connected or that the FPV wouldn't be inclined to drop out first due to its complexity.  But there are certainly not two distinct specifications for the control signal and the FPV signal.  

There were two specs, the return video spec is the one published on the side of the box, and in advertising, but the on-line manual of the time had a different spec called simply 'range' and it referred to the range of the control system, which was always greater than the range of the return video.

The term Lightbridge only referred to the return video channel, the control signal was not Lightbridge, nor was it WiFi, it was simply a bi-directional radio signal, much the same as the radio channel employed by other RC aircraft.
2017-9-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-16 14:53
There were two specs, the return video spec is the one published on the side of the box, and in advertising, but the on-line manual of the time had a different spec called simply 'range' and it referred to the range of the control system, which was always greater than the range of the return video.

The term Lightbridge only referred to the return video channel, the control signal was not Lightbridge, nor was it WiFi, it was simply a bi-directional radio signal, much the same as the radio channel employed by other RC aircraft.

So what you're saying is, the Lightbridge 2 wiki page is incorrect?

See the paragraph under "Responsive Navigation"

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/DJI_Lightbridge_2
2017-9-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-16 17:07
So what you're saying is, the Lightbridge 2 wiki page is incorrect?

See the paragraph under "Responsive Navigation"

As I understand it, the Lightbridge 2 system is a completely separate control system for other aircraft, it is not the same as that built into the P3A or the P3P. The P3 system was simply called Lightbridge.
2017-9-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

And so you're saying it's just a coincidence the range specs are exactly the same in both systems.  I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.  

It's protocol in an online forum to back up statements with links or background evidence for support.  You typically don't do that.  

Where did you get this "understanding?"  Could you provide a link or any shred of evidence to support this?  

My understanding of lightbridge is that any lightbridge connection works as a system that involves both the control signal and the FPV/telemetry signal.  It works together as one system.  And the text in the wiki lightbridge 2 page, which I read for the first time last night, supports this.  But that's completely wrong, according to you, when it applies to the P3.  DJI has apparently decided not to install this type of lightbridge on the P3, and instead install some other kind of lightbridge on the P3 which is completely different from the lightbridge described in their own wiki page.  Okay.  What evidence do you have to support this?  
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please refer to the specs on our product introduction website. Thank you.
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Both P3A and P3P use the new Lightbridge technology. There are three types of Controller, GL300A/B/C which refers that the hardware are different with same function.
2017-9-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-17 03:16
And so you're saying it's just a coincidence the range specs are exactly the same in both systems.  I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.  

It's protocol in an online forum to back up statements with links or background evidence for support.  You typically don't do that.  

'My understanding of lightbridge is that any lightbridge connection works as a system that involves both the control signal and the FPV/telemetry signal.  It works together as one system.  And the text in the wiki lightbridge 2 page, which I read for the first time last night, supports this.  But that's completely wrong, according to you, when it applies to the P3.  DJI has apparently decided not to install this type of lightbridge on the P3, and instead install some other kind of lightbridge on the P3 which is completely different from the lightbridge described in their own wiki page.  Okay.  What evidence do you have to support this?  '

I notice that the link you provided does not work any longer. But in any event, I did read it, and it appears to describe a standalone transmission/reception system, presumably for sale on its own and intended to be incorporated in an aircraft that currently does not have a Lightbridge system. This standalone Lightbridge systrem is described here: https://www.dji.com/dji-lightbridge

Going back to what I said before, the statement "Digital HD Realtime View up to 1.25 miles" refers to the effective range of the return video signal, under Lightbridge, while in other areas they refer to the range of the control signal being up to 3.1 miles.

'Where did you get this "understanding?"  Could you provide a link or any shred of evidence to support this?'

No, this is a discussion forum, not a court of law. I do not have to provide 'proof' of anything. Why the agressive stance?

2017-9-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I don't know why but the link seems to have been moved here:  https://www.dji.com/lightbridge-2

You keep saying the effective range is 1.25 miles and I keep saying it's not 1.25 miles, it's 5000 meters.  I know people who have flown that distance stock with full FPV.  

Here is just one example:  https://phantompilots.com/threads/stock-p3a-3-01-miles.47840/

Associates from that forum have already explained the 1.25 miles to me as I've already posted.  It's an error which was corrected long ago.  If you see post #17 and follow up on that, you'll note there's no mention of 1.25 miles in the specs page.  If you see post #18, you'll note the DJI ACs use "new" lightbridge technology.  I also have never heard of a pilot flying a distance in a P3A/P, losing FPV/telemetery, but continuing with control for double the distance or more flying blindly with no FPV.  I've heard of it with wifi using a 3G tracker, but not with lightbridge.  Why?  Because the lightbridge system used on the DJI ACs is an integrated system as described in the link at the top of this post.  

You often make posts which provide incorrect info (see your post #10 regarding transmitters for just one example)  and you rarely provide a link.  As I've said, when you're going to contradict somebody in a discussion forum, it's protocol to provide a link.  Otherwise, the info you provide is hearsay.  
2017-9-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-21 02:32
I don't know why but the link seems to have been moved here:  https://www.dji.com/lightbridge-2

You keep saying the effective range is 1.25 miles and I keep saying it's not 1.25 miles, it's 5000 meters.  I know people who have flown that distance stock with full FPV.  

As you've found out, DJI updated the range specs to more accurately reflect what users were getting.
Lightbridge 2 is a different product and not the same as what is included on Phantoms.
It's sold to drone builders and costs more than the cost of a Phantom.
If you look at the specs you'll see that it can output 1080p video while the Phantoms can only manage 720p.
The Lightbridge on a Phantom is better described as Lightbridge 1.5.
It's not the same as 1 or 2.
2017-9-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

WB  ;-)  

2017-9-21
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-21 12:10
As you've found out, DJI updated the range specs to more accurately reflect what users were getting.
Lightbridge 2 is a different product and not the same as what is included on Phantoms.
It's sold to drone builders and costs more than the cost of a Phantom.

So Labroides,
Can you offer your explanation about the drones that "Drone-World" is selling here in the US that they call the "Falcon series  with firebridge 2 technology range extender". Would this maybe be the Lightbridge 2 you are talking about  because they are putting a hefty price tag on these things and claiming some unrealistic ranges in my opinion?Firebridge technology
2017-9-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-9-22 08:06
So Labroides,
Can you offer your explanation about the drones that "Drone-World" is selling here in the US that they call the "Falcon series  with firebridge 2 technology range extender". Would this maybe be the Lightbridge 2 you are talking about  because they are putting a hefty price tag on these things and claiming some unrealistic ranges in my opinion?Firebridge technology

It's not Lightbridge 2.
They have bolted on a "range extender" slapped on some stickers and charge gullible buyers a bundle for something that doesn't do much more than a stock Phantom.
If you fly in a good interference-free area, your Phantom can go further than the battery will be able to bring it back.
2017-9-22
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-22 14:43
It's not Lightbridge 2.
They have bolted on a "range extender" slapped on some stickers and charge gullible buyers a bundle for something that doesn't do much more than a stock Phantom.
If you fly in a good interference-free area, your Phantom can go further than the battery will be able to bring it back.

That's what it looked like to me too!
2017-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules