3 out of 4 batteries bulging and won't charge.
1577 15 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CourseSaver
New
United States

I purchased the Interspire 1 Pro when it first came out and purchased a 3 extra batteries for it along with the 4 port charger. When I stored it away late last year, everything was working fine, and all batteries had a full charge. I went to charge it up today, unfortunatally for the first time this year, and the only battery that had any power at all was the one stored in the aircraft, the other 3 wouldn't flash at all. I threw them all on the charger, but only the first would charge. It was about then that I noticed that the other 3 are a bit "squishy" with gas buildup.

Is this common? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Was I supposed to do something different, or do they only last 1 year? Pretty dissapointed to find I have $600 worth of batteries that won't charge after only light use.

2017-9-15
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

Depends on how you stored them and how long.  You need to make sure that they were at least 50% discharged when you put them away.  Don't trust them to self discharge, that's how I lost several batteries.  They were supposed to discharge themselves to storage level after 10 days, but never did so they ended up puffing on me.  As for how long, since getting an Inspire 2, we no longer use the Phantom.  However since we don't want the batteries to go bad just in case we need it for something, I've set up calendar alerts on a 3 month interval reminding me to cycle the Phantom batteries every 3 months to keep them from discharging too much.
2017-9-15
Use props
CourseSaver
New
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-9-15 09:16
Depends on how you stored them and how long.  You need to make sure that they were at least 50% discharged when you put them away.  Don't trust them to self discharge, that's how I lost several batteries.  They were supposed to discharge themselves to storage level after 10 days, but never did so they ended up puffing on me.  As for how long, since getting an Inspire 2, we no longer use the Phantom.  However since we don't want the batteries to go bad just in case we need it for something, I've set up calendar alerts on a 3 month interval reminding me to cycle the Phantom batteries every 3 months to keep them from discharging too much.

Thanks, that is new info to me. With lead batteries, you have to keep them full, so I put these away full expecting them to hold a charge through the winter and I would charge them next time I used them. I knew Lithium is supposed to hold a charge much longer so wasn't really worried about it, but I have also never had a battery pack on any other device do this. This leads me to wonder if there is a fault in the DJI charge / discharge controller circuitry logic.
2017-9-15
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I don't have an inspire, but I believe that these batteries need to be charged and discharged at least 4x per year.  Keeping them unused for long periods 4,5 6+ months is very bad for them.  And, not to make it worse but... once they start bulging, I wouldn't use them at all.  I would fear that they would explode either inside your home when charging or in the air while flying.  In any event, it's not a good situation.  
2017-9-15
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Blackwood Posted at 2017-9-15 09:16

How do you know that your batteries did not self-discharge?
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

It is unclear how long you have had the batteries.  Please contact Customer Service about this point. Also, please consider not using the batteries.
2017-9-15
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

CourseSaver, Sorry buddy ,that is a hard lesson on battery maintainance! If I were you, I would send those batteries to the recycle center and invest in new batteries!!!  Safety First! Ken.
2017-9-15
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-9-15 10:35
How do you know that your batteries did not self-discharge?

They stayed fully charged a long time past the 10 day delay.
With the Inspire batteries, I see the voltage drain on the eleventh day, the phantom batteries however would still be showing an almost full charge a month after they were supposed to automatically drain.
2017-9-17
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

The two things that is appropriate to this thread, that DJI says in the "Battery Safety Guidelines"  under "Battery Maintenance" for every model that they produce is:

"Battery life may be reduced if not used for a long time"
"Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health"

If these batteries are bulged they are probably no longer safe to use or charge....Lithium Polymer batteries are nothing to mess with!

Good Luck!

2017-9-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Li Po batteries are a different breed or chemistry type. Not lead acid or even Li ION. These batteries do not like to stay in a high energy state for very long and will actually degrade the lifespan.

Even with all the safeguards that DJI has put into place for the normal user. You should not store the batteries more than 50% charge. If these batteries have already started to bulge... then they have stressed inside the sealed package (outgassed) and well need to be disposed of safely

Sorry for your loss and hopefully you have learned a hard lesson for next time. I try to run my batteries down to about 5% or less once every few months depending on now much I am flying. Do not rely on the auto discharge feature to manage your batteries. Lots of money at stake, so take care of them
Rich
2017-9-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-9-17 20:41
Li Po batteries are a different breed or chemistry type. Not lead acid or even Li ION. These batteries do not like to stay in a high energy state for very long and will actually degrade the lifespan.

Even with all the safeguards that DJI has put into place for the normal user. You should not store the batteries more than 50% charge. If these batteries have already started to bulge... then they have stressed inside the sealed package (outgassed) and well need to be disposed of safely

Great advice Rich...
2017-9-18
Use props
CourseSaver
New
United States

Thanks guys, I know better now. With my RC LI ION batteries, I had to be careful to not let the battery get too low or they wouldn't charge, now I know I have to be careful not to let these stay full too long - hope I can keep it all straight.

I remembered the guy who sold me everything telling me about the auto discharge, I thought it was odd at the time - but it sounds like you shouldn't expect that to work since 3 out of 4 died, and the only one not to was in the Inspire and may have been partially discharged already - which protected it.
2017-9-18
Use props
mikesobola
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46322 ft
United States

My INspire 1 batteries get very hot while flying-120 degrees F.  What could be causing that?
2017-9-25
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

mikesobola@veri Posted at 2017-9-25 10:13
My INspire 1 batteries get very hot while flying-120 degrees F.  What could be causing that?

I don't think you have anything to worry about, see your other post.

Mark G.
2017-9-25
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

you should never even attempt to charge a swollen battery they can explode into a fiery mess not only that but the smoke damage is both toxic and costly. i know this from experience my battery was fine all cells were good battery was not swollen, i had just checked battery all was cool then i stepped outside for two minuets heard the explosion ran inside and had a fire in my basement that almost spread to the next room my transformer in my charger went out and caused excessive heat to a battery i now charge only outside smoke damage throughout the house was upwards of 20,000$ luckily i was home don't take these batteries for granted lipo/lith batteries are not 100% safe they are very powerful and do pack a punch. (not dji but was a 500$ charger approx 2 years old) battery was very very well taken care of 6s all cells withing .02 of difference battery was charged 3 times prior to explosion battery cost me an additional 300$ also not dji used on different application. just a warning for people who think these types of batteries are safe.
2017-9-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I have a phone case that has a Li-Po in it for power backup as the Samsung phone I have will die in a day without auxiliary power.

Odd part is in a year or two, the battery in the case bulged up enough to push the phone of the case.  I tried to push it back in the case but it refused.  I then saw the hump over the battery area so that was it for the case as it's all glued together.  Didn't last that long for a $100 case, imho, and I see why DJI only warranties them for 6 months.

2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules