Can I takeoff and fly the Spark in compass error?
3494 27 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bozora
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142234 ft
Singapore

Hi all.

If I keep my flying radius within 10m, can I still takeoff and fly in compass error?

I) In compass error, I assume it just drift but I will still have stick control and if I'm able to manually control the spark I can still safely fly it right?

ii) Also I always encounter compass error ( Guess too many electrical appliances in my living room)....I should still be able to take off and fly the spark as lng as I keep it in my line of sight right?

Pls advise.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i do not suggest it, but yes you can.  

i suggest you not fly around interference, may confuse the spark since the spark does not have any redundancies or references.  the compass  is how the spark and other dji drones known which way it is facing, if the spark hit atti mode or failsafe mode it could break stuff in your living room or fly away outdoors..
2017-9-15
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

For me personally, I wouldn't do it.  For me, the risk/reward ratio seems too expensive for this penny pincher.
2017-9-15
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 15:11
i do not suggest it, but yes you can.  

i suggest you not fly around interference, may confuse the spark since the spark does not have any redundancies or references.  the compass  is how the spark and other dji drones known which way it is facing, if the spark hit atti mode or failsafe mode it could break stuff in your living room or fly away outdoors..

Like you, I do not suggest it (at all, nonononononono).  But I thought that one could not effectively control the craft without compass readings.  Unlike atti mode (where craft still has compass and flyer still has control), I thought that the compass was necessary for the craft to be able to understand the stick commands to turn.

Do I have that wrong?
2017-9-15
Use props
Bozora
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142234 ft
Singapore

Thanks for the reply....I tot in compass error the spark will not recognise its bearing but can still fly as Long as I keep it close by and in my line of sight

I din know it may confuse stick controls too.

In this case I won't takeoff
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-15 15:18
Like you, I do not suggest it (at all, nonononononono).  But I thought that one could not effectively control the craft without compass readings.  Unlike atti mode (where craft still has compass and flyer still has control), I thought that the compass was necessary for the craft to be able to understand the stick commands to turn.

Do I have that wrong?

i dont have a spark to test that out.  i assuming not the case.  i think it would still understand left vs right in term of input and it could prob latch into surroundings with visual system assuming enough light.    the issue is if the spark falls into any automated modes with a flipped compass it tends to be RIP for the spark.

i have launched off of hood of my car with my spark and my mavic pro both of which have completely messed up compass when they are sitting on my hood with engine running but they raise up and move around fine and once i fly away like 5 feet interference drops off i haven't seen any ill effects.  
2017-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

So if your compass heading is wrong Spark will drop gps, and go straight into Atti mode you will be able to control with Atti mode but if it's geomagnetic interference causing compass problems then your aircraft will almost certainly go into what's known as TBE or toilet bowl effect and you won't have any control over this resulting in a crash.
You cannot fly Spark without compass .
2017-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry your question was could you take off with compass error and fly answer NO , if your app is telling you that you have compass error it won't let you take off until you calibrate or move to another location I t will be flashing yellow ( I think)
Is it possible to take off from your hand or above your head I think not but it might be possible with spark, I'm just thinking of palm launch, but I've never tried it.
Answer above is what will happen if your in flight.
2017-9-15
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Please calibrate and never fly with compass error, or stop flying as soon as you get one unless you have money to spare for a new spark
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rawsome Posted at 2017-9-15 17:00
Please calibrate and never fly with compass error, or stop flying as soon as you get one unless you have money to spare for a new spark

no dont calibrate if you dont have to, he said he is indoors and possible interference.  if its interference do not calibrate, you dont want to reset the compass  to wrong readings..  that will cause issues long term..

2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-15 16:46
Sorry your question was could you take off with compass error and fly answer NO , if your app is telling you that you have compass error it won't let you take off until you calibrate or move to another location I t will be flashing yellow ( I think)
Is it possible to take off from your hand or above your head I think not but it might be possible with spark, I'm just thinking of palm launch, but I've never tried it.
Answer above is what will happen if your in flight.

unless dji has changed something in the latest firmware, you should be able to fly the spark with a compass error. i have taken off from the hood of my car with my spark and that messes with the compass pretty badly.. but it let me do it..  

as for where he/she is trying to launch mentioned indoors, so it should use Visual system to get a stable position lock if enough lighting.  even with a compass error, it should be able to control it normally, the issue is if the spark decides to failsafe or something automated, its RIP.  

however i dont recommend anyone just fly with any errors at all, obviously.  

2017-9-15
Use props
Centraltooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76539 ft
Singapore

I have taken off indoors with no GPS and compass interference. It is possible to control my spark but it tend to drift and move on its own.

Do not recommend.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Centraltooth Posted at 2017-9-15 18:18
I have taken off indoors with no GPS and compass interference. It is possible to control my spark but it tend to drift and move on its own.

Do not recommend.

drift is likely because the cameras couldn't lock onto something to fix the position.  when i had my spark and flew inside if i flew it in an area with out alot of light or a single overhead LED light, i noticed the spark would drift alot more...  if i flew it out in the front hall or my kitchen where alot of lights (still LED) it would hold position lock very tightly..

i know DJi is using IR sensitive camera system for the VPS, and typical LED lighting in your house you can buy off shelves emits very little IR compared to traditional filament lighting, so be aware that maybe another issue flying inside.  less IR there is the darker it may seem to the VPS...
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-15 16:35
So if your compass heading is wrong Spark will drop gps, and go straight into Atti mode you will be able to control with Atti mode but if it's geomagnetic interference causing compass problems then your aircraft will almost certainly go into what's known as TBE or toilet bowl effect and you won't have any control over this resulting in a crash.
You cannot fly Spark without compass .

I totally agreed with you. Compass error means that maybe there is interference nearby and it is necessary to fly in a proper status. Preflight check is also needed before taking off the drone.

preflight.png
2017-9-15
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

@Heretocrash - missed the indoor part
2017-9-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 19:42
drift is likely because the cameras couldn't lock onto something to fix the position.  when i had my spark and flew inside if i flew it in an area with out alot of light or a single overhead LED light, i noticed the spark would drift alot more...  if i flew it out in the front hall or my kitchen where alot of lights (still LED) it would hold position lock very tightly..

i know DJi is using IR sensitive camera system for the VPS, and typical LED lighting in your house you can buy off shelves emits very little IR compared to traditional filament lighting, so be aware that maybe another issue flying inside.  less IR there is the darker it may seem to the VPS...

yep, I can confirm that.
Playing around the one day indoors with little light, Spark was drifting a lot.
Switching on proper lightning, it hovers steady in place.
As important, if flying through a hallway: Disable the obstacle avoidance.
You may turn the AC, it "sees" something close in front and will "forget" the other wall in its back!
2017-9-15
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-15 20:22
I totally agreed with you. Compass error means that maybe there is interference nearby and it is necessary to fly in a proper status. Preflight check is also needed before taking off the drone.

Hi Elektra, why if interference cause compass error, the calibrate compass can make normal?
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

ASEPK Posted at 2017-9-15 21:33
Hi Elektra, why if interference cause compass error, the calibrate compass can make normal?

If the interference is strong, the drone may fail to calibrate compass. And it also means the place is not suitable for flight.
2017-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-15 17:57
unless dji has changed something in the latest firmware, you should be able to fly the spark with a compass error. i have taken off from the hood of my car with my spark and that messes with the compass pretty badly.. but it let me do it..  

as for where he/she is trying to launch mentioned indoors, so it should use Visual system to get a stable position lock if enough lighting.  even with a compass error, it should be able to control it normally, the issue is if the spark decides to failsafe or something automated, its RIP.  

If you get compass error before you take off, i.e. Magnetic interference calibrate or move aircraft, your AC is grounded until you do something about it, that's fact.
It doesn't mean you can't take off with bad compass if aircraft and app haven't detected it.
2017-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-9-15 21:25
yep, I can confirm that.

Because of bad light it's most likely that VPS had no lock not a compass problem.
2017-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Centraltooth Posted at 2017-9-15 18:18

Do not recommend.

Was your app telling you to move or calibrate, if so it's impossible to take off, Aircraft won't let you.
If you've already taken off and you received compass error. That's a different matter.
2017-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ASEPK Posted at 2017-9-15 21:33

If you calibrate in a geomagnetic area your compass is likely to take on the effected parameters of that area and when you fly out of that area your compas will be out of whack, so it always important to first move your aircraft from the area and restart if it still needs calibration then follow the proper procedures for calibration.
2017-9-16
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-16 01:55
If you get compass error before you take off, i.e. Magnetic interference calibrate or move aircraft, your AC is grounded until you do something about it, that's fact.
It doesn't mean you can't take off with bad compass if aircraft and app haven't detected it.

hmm..  well today i started my mavic pro up on hood of my car and both my compasses  pegged out red in meter and error in app, and it let me take off..

i have done the same with my spark so unless it has changed since i owned a spark it should still allow you to take off..  just highly advised not to

if IMU error or failed IMU initialization you cannot take off i do know that...
2017-9-16
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-9-15 21:25
yep, I can confirm that.

for last bit, if you disable the backup thing for obstacle avoidance it should be ok and not panic reverse into something.
2017-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-16 11:17
hmm..  well today i started my mavic pro up on hood of my car and both my compasses  pegged out red in meter and error in app, and it let me take off..

i have done the same with my spark so unless it has changed since i owned a spark it should still allow you to take off..  just highly advised not to

I don't know how you did that, the message is compass interference calibrate or move aircraft it's clearly in red and when warning is in red you can't take off, if it turns green then that will allow you to take off, it will say ready to go, you can take off in Atti opti or gps I have never been able to take off with red warnings , you should do a short video and let us see it.
2017-9-16
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-16 11:26
I don't know how you did that, the message is compass interference calibrate or move aircraft it's clearly in red and when warning is in red you can't take off, if it turns green then that will allow you to take off, it will say ready to go, you can take off in Atti opti or gps I have never been able to take off with red warnings , you should do a short video and let us see it.

really?    only red messages that stop me with my mavic have been IMU initializing, IMU Error, Critical Battery Voltage, Atti (angle too steep)...  maybe few others i haven't encountered yet that may stop me.  

swore i did it today, i must have used CSC then...because i been in the habit if its on hood of my car or windshield to use CSC to get around stupid angle too steep error.   ill test it out later today again using the onscreen take off button and make sure not using CSC..

that being said tho i havent ever used csc with the spark and it took off with magnetic interference in red back when i owned one..so i dont know..
2017-9-16
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-16 11:26

ok, not great video this is done in a metal work sink i have which fully pegs out the compass. i removed the props, so it wouldn crash around...  but it lets it take off...spun the props up.

2017-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-16 14:14
ok, not great video this is done in a metal work sink i have which fully pegs out the compass. i removed the props, so it wouldn crash around...  but it lets it take off...spun the props up.
https://youtu.be/60RvuI1UHgo

Good video it seems to work, I am amazed on a P4Pro this just turns yellow and won't let you fly, but I may try it again to see what happens. Good job.
2017-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules