Gimbal jammer mid flight over water
756 13 2017-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Go.Fish
lvl.1
Canada

Had a minor panick attack today. Taking off from a look-out point about 130m above the ocean things were going great. Then at about 4min5seconds the gimbal went wonky, looked up, looked down and saw flickers of propeller blades. EEEEk. Return to home
Is there any way to asses what may have happened in the flight log> I'd much prefer this never happen again. Or are gimbal jammers just a thing that should be expected from time to time.

Flight log... HERE

2017-9-15
Use props
Go.Fish
lvl.1
Canada

oh also this....obstacle avoidance warnings but definitley nothing anywhere nearby
4m 16.2s RTH: Backing up to avoid obstacle
4m 16.7s RTH: Ascending to avoid obstacle
4m 16.8s RTH: Cruise
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

So the gimbal seems like restart or doing a self-checking during flight, right? Had you updated the firmware to the latest version? Please try and check again.
2017-9-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Go.Fish Posted at 2017-9-15 19:53
oh also this....obstacle avoidance warnings but definitley nothing anywhere nearby

If you are flying straight into the sunlight you will get those nagging error. Just turn the AC little to the side and you should be OK!
2017-9-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Very important... Make sure you change the RTH Attitude to at least 65 meters and NOT 20m !!!
2017-9-15
Use props
Go.Fish
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-15 19:57
So the gimbal seems like restart or doing a self-checking during flight, right? Had you updated the firmware to the latest version? Please try and check again.

Yes like a calibration mid flight. Newest firmware installed a few days ago.
So try the same flight again? Its a bit of a hike to get there but can do. Would just like to know if theres anything different to try for next time, or if i did something wrong
2017-9-15
Use props
Go.Fish
lvl.1
Canada

It was facing NNW appox 90 degrees to the sun. Ok will raise the RTH altitude for next time. I was at the peak of a lookout point so was thinking 20m would be sufficient
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Go.Fish Posted at 2017-9-15 20:15
Yes like a calibration mid flight. Newest firmware installed a few days ago.
So try the same flight again? Its a bit of a hike to get there but can do. Would just like to know if theres anything different to try for next time, or if i did something wrong

It is a known issue and our engineers are working on it. Please try to calibrate the gimbal and check the anti-drop hooks. If the issue persists, please kindly pay attention to the news from the forum or the release of the firmware on our official web. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Go.Fish Posted at 2017-9-15 19:53

Yes, like dronist mentioned, it would initiate avoidance when the drone faced directly to the strong light. So please try to avoid this situation. If that is not your case, you can calibrate the VPS via DJI Assistant 2.
2017-9-15
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

It's a glitch,seen this in many threads w/ different names.
Also noticed that it's irregardless of FW you're in it will happen sooner or later.
Search the forum for Gimbal Freaking out Mid Air, just for an example.
2017-9-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-9-16 03:49
It's a glitch,seen this in many threads w/ different names.
Also noticed that it's irregardless of FW you're in it will happen sooner or later.
Search the forum for Gimbal Freaking out Mid Air, just for an example.

I call it "gimbals gone wild"; that'll definitely return a few hits on this forum if you use Google.
2017-9-16
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

wow is this gimble freak out still happening ? i raised this months ago....on latest firmware now and have done all the required updates i'll wait for engineers to fix, kind of spoils a shot when it happens
it also drops everything on the mobile or tablet to NA when its doing it, hoping it gets sorted
2017-9-16
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
Flight distance : 185892 ft
United Kingdom

RCNJ Posted at 2017-9-16 05:34
wow is this gimble freak out still happening ? i raised this months ago....on latest firmware now and have done all the required updates i'll wait for engineers to fix, kind of spoils a shot when it happens
it also drops everything on the mobile or tablet to NA when its doing it, hoping it gets sorted

So if this happens out of the box, we should just wait for a solution? I've read that some people got their Mavics replaced and still got the same problem
2017-9-16
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

YouserName Posted at 2017-9-16 06:52
So if this happens out of the box, we should just wait for a solution? I've read that some people got their Mavics replaced and still got the same problem

Don't hold your breath.
Sorry couldn't resist.
2017-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules