P3A RC won't talk to A/C or Smartphone
1211 13 2017-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andyhdji
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

(I tried to post this yesterday but it did not appear - sorry if you see it twice.)

I had a problem with the App showing disconnected but the the P3A would  fly. I phoned DJI. The first thing they asked was the firmware version,  1.06.40, and said I should upgrade. I upgraded to 1.11.20 and since then  nothing has worked. The AC (aircraft) will not talk to the RC (remote  controller) and the App (3.1.10) will not talk to the RC. It seems that  the only way to get the RC to upgrade is now through the App, but it  won't talk to the App... I have uninstalled and reinstalled the App  several time. I have used adb to delete any DJI looking directories and  files after each uninstall.

1. When I turn on the AC alone, it sits there with a red link led. When I  turn on the RC alone it sits there with the red led lit. As soon as the  two are switched on together (in either order) the AC link led flashes  red / green about once a second. Meanwhile the RC led is flashing red /  green at at least 15 - 20 times a second. That's all I get but it at  least shows that the two are 'aware' of each other. I have tried the C1  C2 whatever power on several times without success.

2. I believe the fundamental problem is with the RC USB port in that it  may have failed. Finally I have made up a 'splitter lead' and put a  scope on the Data +/- lines, but there is no activity whatsover when the  RC is plugged in to the phone. As soon as I plug the phone in to a PC  there is a ton of activity as you would expect. I have tried several USB leads that I know work.

Has anyone else seen the fast flashing RC led as in 1. above?

Is a failed USB a common problem?

Thanks, Andy.
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

May I know what's the type of your mobile? It seems that the RC has not updated to the latest version. Please try to change another recommended mobile and see whether the update message pops up.
2017-9-16
Use props
andyhdji
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-16 02:51
May I know what's the type of your mobile? It seems that the RC has not updated to the latest version. Please try to change another recommended mobile and see whether the update message pops up.

Hi,

It is a Galaxy S6, it has also been tried with some recent version of an iPad (not mine so I don't remember the model). Yes, if the RC won't talk to the phone I don't see how the upgrade will happen. There is no sign of any sort of data transfer across the USB cable. That's the RC / phone part of the problem.

Do you know exactly what the very fast flickering red / green on the RC means when it 'sees' the AC?

Thanks for the reply.
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

andyhdji Posted at 2017-9-16 04:48
Hi,

It is a Galaxy S6, it has also been tried with some recent version of an iPad (not mine so I don't remember the model). Yes, if the RC won't talk to the phone I don't see how the upgrade will happen. There is no sign of any sort of data transfer across the USB cable. That's the RC / phone part of the problem.

By sees the AC, I am assuming you are charging the remote. Is that the activity that you are doing when you see the LEDS blink as such?
2017-9-16
Use props
andyhdji
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-16 05:35
By sees the AC, I am assuming you are charging the remote. Is that the activity that you are doing when you see the LEDS blink as such?

Hi, no nothing on charge, nothing else connected anywhere. Exactly as described on OP part 1. If I turn on RC I get red led. Only when I then turn on AC does the RC led starts to flicker so the RC is 'aware' of the AC. The AC link led is red / green about 1 Hz. Nothing else happens.

As stated if I just turn the AC on I just have a red link led. Only when both are powered on do I get the red / green flicker on the RC and red / green 1Hz on the AC, so the RC csn 'see' the AC in some way.

Thanks, Andy.
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

andyhdji Posted at 2017-9-16 22:18
Hi, no nothing on charge, nothing else connected anywhere. Exactly as described on OP part 1. If I turn on RC I get red led. Only when I then turn on AC does the RC led starts to flicker so the RC is 'aware' of the AC. The AC link led is red / green about 1 Hz. Nothing else happens.

As stated if I just turn the AC on I just have a red link led. Only when both are powered on do I get the red / green flicker on the RC and red / green 1Hz on the AC, so the RC csn 'see' the AC in some way.

Is it just that the remote is not linked to the aircraft? Have you tried relinking?
2017-9-18
Use props
andyhdji
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-18 06:32
Is it just that the remote is not linked to the aircraft? Have you tried relinking?

I am pretty sure I have tried it many times. Please confirm exactly what steps you would expect to go through to perform re-linking, buttons to press, all indicators, all beeps that I would expect to see / hear from both AC and RC and I will let you know what I get.

Thanks for your help, Andy.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

andyhdji Posted at 2017-9-18 07:58
I am pretty sure I have tried it many times. Please confirm exactly what steps you would expect to go through to perform re-linking, buttons to press, all indicators, all beeps that I would expect to see / hear from both AC and RC and I will let you know what I get.

Thanks for your help, Andy.

You are welcome Andy. Please go to page 28 and review these steps:  https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+v1.8.pdf  

If you are not linking, that is going to have an effect on everything else.
2017-9-18
Use props
andyhdji
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-18 08:07
You are welcome Andy. Please go to page 28 and review these steps:  https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/20170706/Phantom+3+Advanced+User+Manual+v1.8.pdf  

If you are not linking, that is going to have an effect on everything else.

If you are talking about page 28 Linking the Remote Controller then step 1 says Launch the DJI App. If you read my OP carefully  (please please do, I keep repeating everything that is in there) it states that I cannot connect to the App.

I can get to the blue led with C1 + C2 + record + camera setting dial + power on. I can press the AC Link button. Absolutely nothing changes.

Again from the OP, note that the AC upgraded from 1.06.40 to 1.11.20 but the RC did not upgrade due to problem 2.

Thanks, Andy.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

andyhdji Posted at 2017-9-18 08:28
If you are talking about page 28 Linking the Remote Controller then step 1 says Launch the DJI App. If you read my OP carefully  (please please do, I keep repeating everything that is in there) it states that I cannot connect to the App.

I can get to the blue led with C1 + C2 + record + camera setting dial + power on. I can press the AC Link button. Absolutely nothing changes.

Thank you for your clarification. You may want a technician to look at your aircraft. Please contact Customer Service on this point.
2017-9-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

andyhdji Posted at 2017-9-18 08:28

I know you are talking to the experts here, but just wanted to comment. I think you are spot on that the RC didn't update. If that is the case you may never get a proper re-link operation to happen. I think you need to try and update your RC with another mobile device, and I understand you say you have no activity when you checked the USB cable. One thing I didn't see you comment on was when you upgrade your RC, you must have the aircraft turned off. I guess I don't see how the USB port would have just gone bad. I wonder if you might have on both the aircraft and the RC, the RC might be trying to communicate with your phantom (which it cannot if both aren't on the same firmware), and may not be connecting to your mobile device? Just something to consider.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

andyhdji Posted at 2017-9-16 04:48
Hi,

Generally, the flashing red/green means that the RC has not updated to the latest firmware. That's might be the reason of failed linking RC.

Just to verify, the RC was turned on only when you update, right? If yes, I'm afraid that you may consider to send it in: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-9-20
Use props
andyhdji
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-20 02:00
Generally, the flashing red/green means that the RC has not updated to the latest firmware. That's might be the reason of failed linking RC.

Just to verify, the RC was turned on only when you update, right? If yes, I'm afraid that you may consider to send it in: http://www.dji.com/support.

Hi,

The original problem was the RC would not talk to the app. Called DJI who said upgrade. AC upgraded. RC would not talk to app, RC upgrades only through app - result - RC cannot upgrade. BIG MISTAKE.

Thanks to all for your help, and I am now in conversation with support.nl, Andy.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

andyhdji Posted at 2017-9-21 01:45
Hi,

The original problem was the RC would not talk to the app. Called DJI who said upgrade. AC upgraded. RC would not talk to app, RC upgrades only through app - result - RC cannot upgrade. BIG MISTAKE.

Hope everything goes smoothly and it can be sorted out shortly. Should you have any questions about it, please provide us with the case number, we'd like to check it for you.
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules