Mavic Controller GPS information
2120 8 2017-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tiredtim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51106 ft
United Kingdom

I tried to fly today using the "Follow Me' mode and received a message saying poor GPS even though I was in the middle of a field and the controller and app displays were showing 22 satellites. I was using a iPad mini 4 (wifi only version) connected to my controller. The iPad was connected to my iPhone via wifi hotspot and showed map detail. No matter what I tried, I could not get the 'Follow Me' mode to work.
I then replaced the iPad with with my iPhone and the 'Follow Me' mode worked.

I'm aware that the iPad (wifi only version) does not have a GPS chip inside but had assumed that either the controller contained a GPS chip so that the Mavic knew where the controller was or that linking my iPad to my iPhone, the iPhone would pass on GPS info especially as the map detail is passed on and shows the location of both the MP and controller on the map.

So, am I missing something obvious is the above the way it is?

And is there any way of getting GPS info to the controller when using an iPad. This is useful when updating the Return to Controller point.
2017-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sometimes your telemetry will show 22sats but what does your bar graph tell you this is your real indicator of what gps you are receiving.
2017-9-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

No, that's the way it is: you can only use Follow Me if your mobile device has GPS.
2017-9-16
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-16 11:36

No, that's the way it is: you can only use Follow Me if your mobile device has GPS.

Oh Bugger!
2017-9-16
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

That's why I returned my new iPad Pro wifi only, and got the cellular+wifi version! Still get a weak gps error when trying to set the home point to the controller's location. I have another thread about that.
2017-9-16
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jyunte Posted at 2017-9-16 13:55
That's why I returned my new iPad Pro wifi only, and got the cellular+wifi version! Still get a weak gps error when trying to set the home point to the controller's location. I have another thread about that.

Thanks for your replies, really helpful. Could you send me a link to the your thread you mentioned.
2017-9-17
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

tiredtim Posted at 2017-9-17 01:09
Thanks for your replies, really helpful. Could you send me a link to the your thread you mentioned.

Hopefully this works: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 02&page=1#pid955907
(Looks like you have to scroll to the top of the page)
2017-9-17
Use props
tiredtim
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jyunte Posted at 2017-9-17 11:04
Hopefully this works: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 02&page=1#pid955907
(Looks like you have to scroll to the top of the page)

Cheers for that.
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to clarify, Mavic Pro's RC doesn't equip with GPS model. Please kindly note the Follow Me performance is subject to the GPS accuracy of the mobile device. So if the mobile device has no GPS, Follow Me function as well as current RC's position Homepoint will not work.
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules