Do birds get in your way?
1134 11 2017-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

I have flown twice now where I got a warning for an obstacle in the way.   I was 200 ft. AGL the last time.   RC started beeping and going crazy.  The P4A was behind a tree briefly so I couldnt see it for about 10 seconds.   Could a bird have set off the sensor?  No trees or power lines that tall here.
2017-9-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I've had the same or similar warnings...best answer to date is the sun may be the cause or a light reflection thus blinding the VPS.  Either that or a bug in the FW, possibly both.
Was the sun low on the horizon at the time of flight for this?
Birds are a possibility, but they'd have to be close if small and if big less so, but I'd think you'd see a big bird flying close by.  Most birds, the little ones anyway will likely avoid due to the size and noise and big ones are likely to look at it as prey or a threat.
Hope that helps
2017-9-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree, I have flown out in the open where suddenly I get a warning about an obstacle and the only explanation I have would be the reflection of the sun.  I think we get in the birds way instead of birds get in our way
2017-9-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That would be cool to see a Phantom do a barrel roll.
2017-9-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Like Genghis and Locus said, the vision system may be affected when the drone flies towards sun, the strong sunshine will make the vision system think there is obstacle.
Please avoid flying towards sunlight, please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Sensors would not react to birds. Perhaps you were closer to part of a tree then you realized.
2017-9-18
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-18 09:17
Sensors would not react to birds. Perhaps you were closer to part of a tree then you realized.

I'm not really sure what it was, but I know it was not a tree.  My RC said I was 201 ft. AGL, and there are no trees anywhere near here that are that tall.   Could have been the sun as I was near water also.  Could have been a reflection.  I guess there is no way to know.  I was just curious if a large bird or maybe a group of birds would set off the sensors if they flew very close.  Thanks.  
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

VetteGuyZ06 Posted at 2017-9-19 07:42
I'm not really sure what it was, but I know it was not a tree.  My RC said I was 201 ft. AGL, and there are no trees anywhere near here that are that tall.   Could have been the sun as I was near water also.  Could have been a reflection.  I guess there is no way to know.  I was just curious if a large bird or maybe a group of birds would set off the sensors if they flew very close.  Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up. We appreciate your time in writing in today.
2017-9-19
Use props
Tdiggity
lvl.1
Flight distance : 882976 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-16 14:43
I've had the same or similar warnings...best answer to date is the sun may be the cause or a light reflection thus blinding the VPS.  Either that or a bug in the FW, possibly both.
Was the sun low on the horizon at the time of flight for this?
Birds are a possibility, but they'd have to be close if small and if big less so, but I'd think you'd see a big bird flying close by.  Most birds, the little ones anyway will likely avoid due to the size and noise and big ones are likely to look at it as prey or a threat.

Im a newbie but, the other day i was surveying tree heights in my neighborhood so i know what my safe low level is and i kept getting humming birds investigating my MP. I wasnt concerned with the MP but i really dont want to chop up hummingbirds. Plus my baby girls and wife would be devastated. So its not just the big birds i worry about. I wish i had the camera running. But i was just getting tree top heights. .
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Tdiggity Posted at 2017-9-21 08:43
Im a newbie but, the other day i was surveying tree heights in my neighborhood so i know what my safe low level is and i kept getting humming birds investigating my MP. I wasnt concerned with the MP but i really dont want to chop up hummingbirds. Plus my baby girls and wife would be devastated. So its not just the big birds i worry about. I wish i had the camera running. But i was just getting tree top heights. .

Oh way cool, but then again not so much...I like Humming Birds truly one of nature's unique birds.  Yes I'd prefer to not see any harm come to them either.
My guess, the noise obviously didn't bother them, possible because the blade hum was similar to their own.  I don't have any suggestions for you on what to do, other than use caution when around the humming birds and next time roll tape.  However, if you end up capturing any tragedy please don't post it here.
Take Care and Fly Safe
2017-9-21
Use props
Tdiggity
lvl.1
Flight distance : 882976 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-21 08:56
Oh way cool, but then again not so much...I like Humming Birds truly one of nature's unique birds.  Yes I'd prefer to not see any harm come to them either.
My guess, the noise obviously didn't bother them, possible because the blade hum was similar to their own.  I don't have any suggestions for you on what to do, other than use caution when around the humming birds and next time roll tape.  However, if you end up capturing any tragedy please don't post it here.
Take Care and Fly Safe

If i have a humming bird chop up on tape ill destroy it before the wife and daughters see it and start looking at the Mp as the devil
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Tdiggity Posted at 2017-9-21 09:13
If i have a humming bird chop up on tape ill destroy it before the wife and daughters see it and start looking at the Mp as the devil

Oh yeah very wise...
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules