Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is a flyaway more common than you think.
1758 34 2017-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bsharppm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43491 ft
United States

I had bought the mavic pro and only had two hrs on it when I was in a flight for only 7 min and all of a sudden my receiver said "connecting" my drone was goon for ever.  It never RTH and was only offered 30% off a new one.  So I called in and complained and my case was referred to a new department called "the flyaway department"  This must be a common problem to have a hole department for these issues

I would like some comments on my facebook page please look  
https://www.facebook.com/ed.gintling/posts/1832608563433397
2017-9-16
Use props
fansb8b222f3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 74213 ft
Sweden

Did you have DJI care ?
2017-9-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

No, flyaways aren't very common with the Mavic and as for the supposed new "flyaway department", people often get incorrect information from the first level support representatives. Most likely what was mentioned to you is just the department -- and yes, I'd certainly assume they have one -- for analyzing flight logs since they probably get dozens, if not hundreds, of crashes and a much smaller number of flyaways reported every week. In many of those cases people want DJI to take responsibility for what happened so it's certainly not surprising that they'd have a department that analyzes flight logs, nor is it proof that flyaways are common.

Speaking of flight logs, if what you're looking for is evidence that your flyaway was DJI's fault or you're wanting to rally support for your cause the best thing you can do is upload the flight log (TXT file) from your mobile device to PhantomHelp using these instructions and provide a link to it here. It's your choice, of course, but most losses are caused by pilot error, and if you're convinced that wasn't the case with your Mavic then providing us with the information that will allow us to see for ourselves can only help your situation.

In the meantime, there have been a few cases recently where people reported their Mavic returning to the home point associated with a previous flight, so you might also check the last location or two from which you took off to see if your Mavic returned and landed there. Unfortunately, if the previous flights occurred a large distance away from your latest flight then it's likely that your Mavic lost power and landed somewhere between your latest flight path and that previous home point. Good luck.

2017-9-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

"DJI Care" isn't available for the Mavic. What you're thinking of is the similarly-named "Care Refresh", but it won't do him any good even if he had it because he'd have to be able to return his Mavic to DJI to get a Care Refresh replacement.
2017-9-17
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-17 03:10
"DJI Care" isn't available for the Mavic. What you're thinking of is the similarly-named "Care Refresh", but it won't do him any good even if he had it because he'd have to be able to return his Mavic to DJI to get a Care Refresh replacement.

This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between "DJI Care" and "Care Refresh"?  I mean hypothetically speaking, if both were offered for the Mavic, how would the plans differ?
2017-9-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-17 03:21
This may be a dumb question, but what is the difference between "DJI Care" and "Care Refresh"?  I mean hypothetically speaking, if both were offered for the Mavic, how would the plans differ?

"DJI Care" is an older program that's available for earlier Phantom models while "Care Refresh" has been their program for newer models since the Mavic. Buying "DJI Care" for a Mavic has never been an option and I assume never will be, but here are the links to them if you really want to know how they differ:

DJI Care
DJI Care Refresh

The confusingly similar names were a bad idea in my opinion, but then clarity in communication has never been DJI's strong suit.
2017-9-17
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-17 03:29
"DJI Care" is an older program that's available for earlier Phantom models while "Care Refresh" has been their program for newer models since the Mavic. Buying "DJI Care" for a Mavic has never been an option and I assume never will be, but here are the links to them if you really want to know how they differ:

DJI Care

Thanks.  After a quick glance, it seems the older DJI Care program was a bit better in a few ways:
1. No deductibles
2. Unlimited* repairs
3. Brand new aircraft after a total loss rather than a refurb.

On the flip side, your total benefits with the older DJI Care cannot exceed the cost of the original aircraft (1x rather than 2x), so if you're the type of pilot that likes the excitement of multiple hull losses, the newer Care Refresh may be a welcome change for you.
2017-9-17
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

hey there . sorry for loss . did you have your return home set ? and also did you have the disconnect feature set to return  home in app? maybe it hover where it was last. did you try the find my drone in app? maybe there is hope
2017-9-17
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Captain
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

The "Connecting..." message, assuming no other messages, almost implied that they battery just failed and that was that.  Uploading the log would be a good way to know more.

Having said that, I think that "Flyaway" is way way way overused.  Back in the Phantom (1) days, there were actual times when the bird would just zip away, at maximum speed, to nowhere.  It flew away, literally.  Theses days, people use "flyaway" to mean any of a giant family of failures, of which very few involve the uncontrolled flaying away or your craft.  Reading this forum, people the term when they fly behind a mountain, crash into a tree, or get blown away by strong wind.

So to answer your question, I think legitimate flyaways are less common then the folks on this forum actually say.
2017-9-17
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I agree that the term "Fly Away" is grossly overused and most of the issues where this term is used are due to pilot error. The Mavic is designed to RTH under a host of issues (signal lose is one of them), but you have to set your home point before takeoff and make sure that RTH is set in the configuration options for it to work. For the Mavic, I'm not sure I've ever seen absolute proof that it simply flies away due to a non pilot error.
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

That's painful, I am sorry to hear about your flyaway. So you had reported your case to us and was offered a 30% off to buy a new unit, right? Then it could be your data was not complete for us to investigate if it is the drone's malfunction. Could you please provide me with your case number so I can check more info on your case? Sorry again for this.
2017-9-18
Use props
Bsharppm
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 03:03
That's painful, I am sorry to hear about your flyaway. So you had reported your case to us and was offered a 30% off to buy a new unit, right? Then it could be your data was not complete for us to investigate if it is the drone's malfunction. Could you please provide me with your case number so I can check more info on your case? Sorry again for this.

can you get me a better discount 35% is a joke i was told the rth did not work probably do to a poor satellite signal which was not the case look at the flight records 15 satellites  five bar right befor single lose.  It just failed and the aircraft lost connection with the receiver and never RTH
2017-9-20
Use props
Bsharppm
lvl.1
United States

I did not have DJI care what is it.  This aircraft only had 2 hrs on it.
2017-9-20
Use props
Bsharppm
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-17 03:08
No, flyaways aren't very common with the Mavic and as for the supposed new "flyaway department", people often get incorrect information from the first level support representatives. Most likely what was mentioned to you is just the department -- and yes, I'd certainly assume they have one -- for analyzing flight logs since they probably get dozens, if not hundreds, of crashes and a much smaller number of flyaways reported every week. In many of those cases people want DJI to take responsibility for what happened so it's certainly not surprising that they'd have a department that analyzes flight logs, nor is it proof that flyaways are common.

Speaking of flight logs, if what you're looking for is evidence that your flyaway was DJI's fault or you're wanting to rally support for your cause the best thing you can do is upload the flight log (TXT file) from your mobile device to PhantomHelp using these instructions and provide a link to it here. It's your choice, of course, but most losses are caused by pilot error, and if you're convinced that wasn't the case with your Mavic then providing us with the information that will allow us to see for ourselves can only help your situation.

I did upload all my records for that day and my Home point was reset each time it took off I believe that the home point is also marked on the flight record.  If something failed internally like lost power it may just fell out if the sky.  Unfortunately i was over water.  so there no pieces to pick up.  Still this drone only had 2hrs on it very disappointed.
2017-9-20
Use props
Bsharppm
lvl.1
United States

GroTToFlyeR Posted at 2017-9-17 03:43
hey there . sorry for loss . did you have your return home set ? and also did you have the disconnect feature set to return  home in app? maybe it hover where it was last. did you try the find my drone in app? maybe there is hope

The receiver keep flashing "connecting" I even drove around to see if i could get it to lock back in after an hour I gave up. I think something  internal happened  and fell out of the sky into the lake? or it just flew away Maybe back to the retailer for resale.
2017-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bsharppm Posted at 2017-9-20 12:51
I did upload all my records for that day and my Home point was reset each time it took off I believe that the home point is also marked on the flight record.  If something failed internally like lost power it may just fell out if the sky.  Unfortunately i was over water.  so there no pieces to pick up.  Still this drone only had 2hrs on it very disappointed.

No flight record here on this thread.
2017-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Total bull there is no flyaway department, what your saying makes no sense, the only way people can help you is for you to put your flight log up here so we can have a better understanding of what happened,
Why would anyone want to comment on your Facebook without knowing what happened.
2017-9-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-20 13:19
Total bull there is no flyaway department, what your saying makes no sense, the only way people can help you is for you to put your flight log up here so we can have a better understanding of what happened,
Why would anyone want to comment on your Facebook without knowing what happened.

Maybe so they can write Shakespeare-esque gems like this one to show how smart they are: "Danm drones got (expletive) add saw a butterfly artificial Intelligence ain't very smart"

Now if I can only figure out what that means. I do know one thing, though: with compelling poetry like that it's only a matter of time before he gets DJI to submit to his demand for a free replacement aircraft.

2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Bsharppm Posted at 2017-9-20 12:40

can you get me a better discount 35% is a joke i was told the rth did not work probably do to a poor satellite signal which was not the case look at the flight records 15 satellites  five bar right befor single lose.  It just failed and the aircraft lost connection with the receiver and never RTH

I am sorry for your lost, but our colleague had offered the best discount according to your situation, thank you for your kind understanding.
2017-9-21
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Oops, guess I was wrong. Oh, well, if you do use the discount, please be sure to read the Mavic owner's manual more carefully than you apparently did the posts here.
2017-9-21
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

Bsharppm Posted at 2017-9-20 12:51

Bsharppm, why haven't you uploaded your flight logs here yet?

I think a few posters have asked how you had your RC Signal Lost function set (RTH, land, or hover). Obviously, this would make a big difference in what your MP did after it lost connectivity with your controller. Is it possible that you had it set to "land"? When I first purchased my MP, I was using an Android phone and experienced lost connectivity on several occasions. Each time, my MP returned to home, as designed.
2017-9-21
Use props
Dremundo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144541 ft
United States

Kalibr Posted at 2017-9-21 05:31
Bsharppm, why haven't you uploaded your flight logs here yet?

I think a few posters have asked how you had your RC Signal Lost function set (RTH, land, or hover). Obviously, this would make a big difference in what your MP did after it lost connectivity with your controller. Is it possible that you had it set to "land"? When I first purchased my MP, I was using an Android phone and experienced lost connectivity on several occasions. Each time, my MP returned to home, as designed.

hey I have always and still currently using an android NEVER HAD AN ISSUE, until the last upgrade... is it that the androids are now all having issues and IOS devices never have? I have a htc m9 phone nice big clear screen but I was thinking maybe its time to switch it up to an ipad mini, any suggestions or fixes for android?
2017-9-22
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-20 13:10
No flight record here on this thread.

man that seems so strange
2017-9-23
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-20 13:19

thats kind of funny (sorry)  ( Fly Away Dept) this is the first i heard of  this site about that dept
2017-9-23
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Post the flight logs so people can help you
2017-9-23
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

He's not going to post the flight logs because then we'll all be able to clearly see that it was pilot error.  It's as simple as that.
2017-9-23
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

Dremundo Posted at 2017-9-22 11:08
hey I have always and still currently using an android NEVER HAD AN ISSUE, until the last upgrade... is it that the androids are now all having issues and IOS devices never have? I have a htc m9 phone nice big clear screen but I was thinking maybe its time to switch it up to an ipad mini, any suggestions or fixes for android?

There are some people using Android phones that have never experienced any issues. Unfortunately, I had too many, which detracted from the flying experience. I ended up getting an iPad Mini 4 and have not had one issue. Plus, the bigger screen was an added bonus.
2017-9-27
Use props
mryeje1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 613366 ft
Canada

My Mavic did the same thing but I didn't even get the 30% off offer..... They refused answer my questions too.
2017-9-28
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

New Mavic, new flyer, and already over water?
Kind of like a newly licensed auto driver, then renting a Lamorghini/Ferrari, and then crashing it, and blaming the car?
2017-9-28
Use props
fans20bee045
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135151 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys. I am a noob so take it easy. I am sorry in advance if I come across daft. I bought a Phantom 4 Pro in May. Flew it 31 times for just under 6 hours of flight time. One fateful day I was landing it in an open space public park and suddenly it went haywire and flewaway in the distance. Tried RTH but video link was severed and it said the GPS link was too weak to establish a new home point(battery was running low). I just wants to know if there is anything I can do to get DJi to give me a replacement. I have my flight records but dont know if they will be any help in determining what happened.
2017-10-17
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
First Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

You should start by contacting DJI repair team, they ll guide you accordingly..
2017-10-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

fans20bee045 Posted at 2017-10-17 03:10
Hi Guys. I am a noob so take it easy. I am sorry in advance if I come across daft. I bought a Phantom 4 Pro in May. Flew it 31 times for just under 6 hours of flight time. One fateful day I was landing it in an open space public park and suddenly it went haywire and flewaway in the distance. Tried RTH but video link was severed and it said the GPS link was too weak to establish a new home point(battery was running low). I just wants to know if there is anything I can do to get DJi to give me a replacement. I have my flight records but dont know if they will be any help in determining what happened.

I looked at the log and agree with what Labroides wrote in the thread you created about this on the Phantom forum; this log isn't the right one, or at least doesn't show anything abnormal, as everything I saw corresponded to stick input or other command (e.g., RTH). And as he mentioned, that log appears to show a normal landing near the original takeoff point.
2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A detailed account of what heppened is here:  
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 4&fromuid=10818

Somehow I doubt you'll be getting a replacement from DJI
2017-10-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMHO, Not a common issue.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry to read on this, please contact our support to star a ticket for data analysis, our team will try their best to find out the reason and provide the proper resolution to you.Good luck.
2017-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules