Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Beach house Advice
2186 25 2017-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansecf13e27
lvl.1
United States

I'm on vacation in the outter banks north carolina and went for my first test flight today, didn't feel like it went well.  I need some advice / notes.  Here is what happened.

Between the house and the ocean is alot of brush / dunes no  flat place to take off / land so I started out on the concrete pad just outside the house by the pool.  Immediately started to feel like i was losing control (it is windy a little).  felt like i couldn't get it to stop adjusting back toward the house and couldn't re land where i took off.  Pushed it out in the brush but it constantly felt like it was adjusting up and down on its own.  Eventually landed in the brush (auto land) but it did clip some tall grass.

I never got over 30ft, I didn't make it out to the actual ocean either.  I plan on scouting out some more places later but wanted to toss this out there see what everyone's opinion might be.  Perhaps the wind is much more impactful than i thought i could work around, but is it ever NOT windy at the beach?  Anyone with good experiences flying over ocean / beach / beach house ?
2017-9-17
Use props
fansecf13e27
lvl.1
United States

UPDATE:  looks like winds are 10-15mph according with weather undergrouns
2017-9-17
Use props
fansf8b5debc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft
United States

How far are you from Kitty Hawk, could the airport no fly zone be a factor? Just a thought.  
2017-9-17
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

wind will drift your drone around a little make sure your in P mode and as this will best help it try to hold its position, but when winds are to strong your best to just not fly till you have gained some experience. JMHO
2017-9-17
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

taking off from a slab of concrete can be very costly, it can affect the compass in a bad way.  Pick a spot away from all metal objects (rebar or autos) and recalibrate the compass.
2017-9-17
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-9-17 09:27
taking off from a slab of concrete can be very costly, it can affect the compass in a bad way.  Pick a spot away from all metal objects (rebar or autos) and recalibrate the compass.

this can be true, but not always as not all concrete contains rebar. I have rebar in my concrete walk way I know because I installed the rebar and poured the concrete myself. I can take off from my walk in certain areas and some I get a compass error.  Its  probably dependent on the depth the rebar is in the concrete as I didn't level any of it in the whole just shaped it staked it and wired it 2" off the dirt. he didn't mention any compass warning issues so I'm more inclined to think he had some wind pushing him around had that happen to me flying low alt ended up trimming some bushes for a second or two. also dependent on altitude prop wash can move these birds around quite a bit
2017-9-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Think I would find a nice open area to practice before going out again.
2017-9-17
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

You didnt happen to mention what drone you were flying im asuming a phantom.
If so it should handle that speed wind with ease try calibrating everything make sure your in P mode before taking off ensure you get a good gps lock and home point is set.  
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Please check whether there is any message in APP and make sure there is enough GPS signal and confirm.
2017-9-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

These are those times, when having a proper landing/take off pad, would be most advisable.

Even a basic piece of plywood can suffice... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-18
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Considering this shows a day ago for your thread, I think you know there was a Cat 1 hurricane right off the coast of the Carolinas and SE VA.  That alone is going to give you more than windy conditions, but gusty as well.  Next, did you consider the venturi effect, wind being affected by the surrounding structures that can cause winds to change direction and intensity in an unpredictable way i.e. turbulent and or it increases the wind speed as it squeezes between buildings.  All of those factors together can cause you to end up flying in difficult conditions.
Recommend you move inland from the coast about 100 yards and well away from any structures that can affect wind flow,  then find a good wind break like a line of dunes and/or 2 to 3 story building.  This should allow for a smoother takeoff when the winds are up.  However, it may not provide for a smoother flight if it remains windy.
2017-9-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I would second WD9EON's advice, do not take off from a concrete pad. More often than not, they do have rebar in them, and it will most certainly adversely affect the compass in your aircraft. And when it occurs, you do not get any warning until the aircraft is airborne, then it can be too late to deal with it.
2017-9-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-9-18 23:12
I would second WD9EON's advice, do not take off from a concrete pad. More often than not, they do have rebar in them, and it will most certainly adversely affect the compass in your aircraft. And when it occurs, you do not get any warning until the aircraft is airborne, then it can be too late to deal with it.

I've got to wonder how many fly away drones,  were due to taking off from concrete pads with rebar reinforcement?

Probably many more than those pilots are willing to admit to.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-18
Use props
fansecf13e27
lvl.1
United States

Super appreciate all the advice, since this post i have not been back out because of increased winds( yes due to hurricane jose off coast).  The actual living here hasn't been bad but flight a no go.  All the advice is well taken.  I suppose ideally starting tomorrow winds should be very down and i don't want to take off from the beach but perhaps behind the dunes....now to get a flat spot behind, i don't have plywood but wish i did.
2017-9-19
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I know it's a great opportunity to get some killer video, but I would be cautious learning to fly right on the beach... so many hazzards... The ocean, the wind, the sand... It's tough... just be careful, take is slow, don't take risks.  Be cautions on what you do.  I know it's not what you want to hear, but, until you are more experienced, then caution is your boss.  
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-18 23:02
Considering this shows a day ago for your thread, I think you know there was a Cat 1 hurricane right off the coast of the Carolinas and SE VA.  That alone is going to give you more than windy conditions, but gusty as well.  Next, did you consider the venturi effect, wind being affected by the surrounding structures that can cause winds to change direction and intensity in an unpredictable way i.e. turbulent and or it increases the wind speed as it squeezes between buildings.  All of those factors together can cause you to end up flying in difficult conditions.
Recommend you move inland from the coast about 100 yards and well away from any structures that can affect wind flow,  then find a good wind break like a line of dunes and/or 2 to 3 story building.  This should allow for a smoother takeoff when the winds are up.  However, it may not provide for a smoother flight if it remains windy.

Certainly that would have an effect on wind speed. You may want to wait until the weather clears.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-9-17 09:27

That too is a wise idea. You could have some trouble with concrete. Try to stay away from places that cause interference.
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansecf13e27 Posted at 2017-9-19 11:28
Super appreciate all the advice, since this post i have not been back out because of increased winds( yes due to hurricane jose off coast).  The actual living here hasn't been bad but flight a no go.  All the advice is well taken.  I suppose ideally starting tomorrow winds should be very down and i don't want to take off from the beach but perhaps behind the dunes....now to get a flat spot behind, i don't have plywood but wish i did.

Plywood was only a suggestion.  You could also use corrugated cardboard, or a sheet of plastic.

Anything that is non metallic, stiff enough, and easy to transport.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

High winds is better not flying.
2017-9-19
Use props
fansecf13e27
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 15:36
Plywood was only a suggestion.  You could also use corrugated cardboard, or a sheet of plastic.

Anything that is non metallic, stiff enough, and easy to transport.

"Corrugated Cardboard"  Like a beer box?  I've def got that.

Side note today is the first of three days its supposed to be very nice, the leftover winds/rain from hurricane jose have passed.  Perhaps in the coming days I'll step away from family and try again.
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansecf13e27 Posted at 2017-9-20 05:31
"Corrugated Cardboard"  Like a beer box?  I've def got that.

Side note today is the first of three days its supposed to be very nice, the leftover winds/rain from hurricane jose have passed.  Perhaps in the coming days I'll step away from family and try again.

Yes, beer cases are great, but you would need a couple of 2-4's. Drink the beer first, before you fly.

Long before... Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
DustMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 973373 ft
United States

If you get it up in the air next time, get some footage, and please share. I'm from NC myself
2017-9-21
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

The outer banks are an awesome place.  Been there many times myself (in the pre-drone years)
2017-9-21
Use props
fansecf13e27
lvl.1
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-21 05:20
The outer banks are an awesome place.  Been there many times myself (in the pre-drone years)

So Update:  1000% better yesterday & i went out at sunrise today.  Working on the vid to share with everyone and thanks for the tips.  Low to no winds help, but i think i really learned a lesson with this on concrete take off's.  Clearly the first day it was erratic, both take offs from concrete by pool / house, wind may also have been the issue.

Now
Without cardboard i've got 2 spots, 1 half way between house and dunes where its on hard sand and i pulled out some grass / shrub.  The other is passed the dune on the way to beach but just between main dune and like a mini one before actual beach, also hard sand.

I'll post back a youtube link later once I've edited down for time.
2017-9-21
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

Not sure if anyone mentioned this cause I didn't have time to read the thread but I got a NOTAM from the FAA regarding GPS interference tests in the area:
FLIGHT ADVISORY GPS INTERFERENCE TESTING 16-30 September, 2017 Cherry Point, NC.
Notice Number: NOTC7365
2017-9-21
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

fansecf13e27 Posted at 2017-9-21 06:32
So Update:  1000% better yesterday & i went out at sunrise today.  Working on the vid to share with everyone and thanks for the tips.  Low to no winds help, but i think i really learned a lesson with this on concrete take off's.  Clearly the first day it was erratic, both take offs from concrete by pool / house, wind may also have been the issue.

Now

fansecf13e27
uh don't know if you know, but don't get caught pulling grass or anything growing on the dunes or near them.  It effects erosion and critical to maintaining the dunes and sand in place.  You could be fined if found to be doing so.
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules