2686 29 2017-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ped078
lvl.4
Flight distance : 565794 ft
United Kingdom

Hi.
Had my first fly away from my sparky today :/ .

Was hovering above my head at between 100-130M , 18gps sats, full signal in an open field, then I get low gps signal warning, in an open field?! , initiated RTH, drone started decending then it just flew off! , I did get a green warning banner about it being close to the homepoint, allbeit 100m up in the air.
Fortunately I had the drone in LOS so I was able to bring it back home manually...why did it lose GPS signal in open ground with no abstructions around?

Below is the flight data.

https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... _id=GENERALOverview
2017-9-17
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Never put RTH when is problem GPS problem or compass error. Try back to home point manually.
2017-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Ok, I can see a lot of things already including a number of ignored but important warnings before the real problem started. In order to get the full picture, please upload the flightlog also here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-9-17
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 399984 ft
Germany

seems you picked up a compass error on the ground..
2017-9-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

47 seconds of lost connection? And not landed?
Weird!
2017-9-17
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-17 08:55
Ok, I can see a lot of things already including a number of ignored but important warnings before the real problem started. In order to get the full picture, please upload the flightlog also here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/URZOQL7AP3TEPAR1A0GT/

All those warnings you see in the logs, I WAS NOT notified of them, the absolute second I get a compass error I immediately stop what I'm doing and take control of the aircraft visually.

It was complaining of low GPS, with over 16 satellites ?! .
I say again , I got NO compass error during or shortly after take off, it recorded the home point.

And like the other guy said, 47 seconds of disconnect? shouldn't it of returned home?

Thanks for the input guys.
2017-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Friends, I can only recommed to not trust all flightlog readings at first instance. None of those accessible to us are made for the Spark, but for older DJI models and partially other brands as well. That is why I had asked the thread opener to upload his flightlog also to Phantomhelp (which is as well highly flawed for the Spark). At least the two together being read in parallel provide a better picture than just one of them. Nevertheless, only DJI can read the true and complete picture with their software.
2017-9-17
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226066 ft
Portugal

My spark faced a similar situation... compass error.  at 60 meters of height. I cant understand what can do compass interference at 60 height in open area zone. I think this is hardware or software...problems...
2017-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Ok, you are telling us that you have not received any notification of the warnings that are well reflected in both logfile readings. In this case I would simply recommend you to export the Blackbox of your Spark with DJI Assistant and to send the data plus the flightlog recorded by your App for further analysis to DJI, since you would probably also not accept our interpretations of what we can see in these two files.
I would only have one kind request, please don't call any instance like that a fly away what it definitely isn't.
2017-9-17
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I am just curious. What mobile phone were you using?
2017-9-17
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I was using a Galaxy tab S .

@WB , It was in RTH, (that was initiated before the compass error, and it flew away from me...against instruction. What else would you call it?

Also yes, I received NO compass error via dji go4 untill the last minuet or two, which is when I took control.
2017-9-17
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Also, I'd like to know from admin or mod WHY I'm getting compass errors AND low gps indicators in plainly clear surroundings with no structures whatsoever near the aircraft?
2017-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Once again, send your data to DJI and I am sure they will explain. And just to answer your other statement concerning a fly away. In my understanding (and I believe this to be common interpretation) a "fly away" is an unpredictable and uncontrollable behaviour of the aircraft that causes it to fly away without possibility to retrieve it. The very early error messages in your logfile at least allow the question, whether the incident was "unpredictable". Secondly you are reporting yourself that you have managed to fly it home manually (thus it was not uncontrollable) and thirdly it is not lost, what is the nicest possible outcome! And all together not a "fly away".
2017-9-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ped078 Posted at 2017-9-17 11:30
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/URZOQL7AP3TEPAR1A0GT/

All those warnings you see in the logs, I WAS NOT notified of them, the absolute second I get a compass error I immediately stop what I'm doing and take control of the aircraft visually.

You can pick up geomagnetic interference from the ground, it may not show immediately, although your sats might be showing 16/17 you need to check the bar graph alongside the number this is the proper indication of how much gps you had. You can check this by replaying your flight in your app just check the graph to see how many bars where lit up.
You seemed to have some control and your log shows you were in gps, why it went into auto landing I'm not sure what was your RTH settings and low battery settings.
It would also be good to know if you recently calibrated your compass, and where you took off from was there any metal around or rebar concrete.
2017-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

good god the OP had a rough time.    sounds like a hardware defect maybe, like my first spark, i suggest returning for an exchange asap.   

also to the OP did you calibrate your compass before flying it or did you not bother with compass and IMUs before flying?   if so where was it done?

and yes as other have said, do not touch RTH if there is any error in red.  GPS, IMU, Compass...  because RTH relies on these things, with any one of those things failing to give correct readings, RTH will not work as expected.  i wish DJI would impliment a warning into app if an error in red is present saying that "RTH may fail with such error conditions preset, it is advised to manually controll the drone to a safe landing instead..."  then give you the option to click out or RTH
2017-9-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I may have missed something, but before AC went into RTH away from pilot:

Wasn't it on top of the pilot in the 20m "direct auto landing" RTH distance, only on higher altitude?

So it followed RTH settings from before or wrong GPS readings during setting, right?

Which would, technically, not be a "fly away". ;-)

Question to ped078:

Have you flown the Spark in that "fly away" direction somewhere, some time before?
If I remember that right, there was the one or the other writing about "Spark flew somewhere where I took off some time ago" (something like that, you get the picture, do you? ;-)

I am missing sometimes the "RTH recorded, please check on map" voice when taking off or even when setting new (better) RTH during first seconds of flight.
I actually thought it may be b/c of the RTH positions are to close to each other.
But thinking that through, not gettin' one at auto take off and flying 5 meters or such away, not gettin' one on manual RTK point settin' either the first time after, both with 14+ satellites, sound more like no recording one.
Right?
2017-9-17
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Ped078. I had experience error reports with DJI Go 4 on Android that not appeared on ios version. I flew Spark at a place regularly without any error report on ios. At the same place I switched to android tablet then errors/warnings shown up. Then I switch back to ios, everything became normal again. I started to suspect that some flying away may mostly occurred with android version of DJI Go 4. Esp, those related to IMU/Compass error. For me, compass error inflight in the high ground, in the middle of nowhere, far away from large steel/iron structure is irrational if it is normal during takeoff. IMU error is ridiculous unless your Spark is defect. You may need to browse through the forum to collect the statistic.
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Could you please refer to the link below to export the data for analysis? Upload them to the Dropbox, then provide me with a link to download them, thank you in advance! Besides, have you contacted the DJI Support?  
2017-9-17
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thank's for your replies guys, I'll try to answer a few Q's .

I wasn't notified of errors (compass, IMU or otherwise) until the last minuet or two of the flight, everything you see in the logs DID NOT appear on screen...I was happily taking photos & videos...as the AC was in my LOS I kept an eye on it, I'm a cautious flyer...and the AC displayed NO erratic movements. Then I got a compass error which I was notified of, I checked the screen and everything was back to normal (AC was in GPS mode) however my butt was twitching by then so only AFTER checking the screen, I initiated RTH, its from then on my screen lit up like a Christmas tree.
@WB ok from now on, I'll call it an UAE (Unplanned Ariel Excursion) instead of "Fly Away" .
There were NO metallic or other obstructions around, for those that haven't seen the logs, below is a screenshot. The UAE occured when it was right above my head.

I have seen on the forums there is conflicting info on compass calibration, IE ONLY calibrate if the software propmts you too, if it doesn't, the drone is happy with the compass performance...so if it ain't broke, don't fix it..ALL systems were normal in my pre flight check.

@Diana, thanks for replying, No I haven't contacted support yet.

I don't use dropbox but below is a link to my google drive upload...I *think* this is the right flight.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-EyHUoX3Tc6aERiZ0tMX1Zmbkk

Thanks guys.

2017-9-17
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2017-9-17
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hello? DJI?! I've provided all the data you asked for.

I'd like a reply please.
2017-9-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

They aren't that quick my friend.  
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

ped078 Posted at 2017-9-18 11:45
Hello? DJI?! I've provided all the data you asked for.

I'd like a reply please.

Sorry, there is only one file in the link you provided, could you please provide all of the three files? Besides, please click the 'Reply' button if you have any further questions, then I'll get a reminder. 1.png
2017-9-18
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Here are the files you requested

Black box data https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-EyHUoX3Tc6aXFCLWZ0YTlsQTg

Flight Log https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-EyHUoX3Tc6MC1HVG9PMl8wRVU

Assistant export data https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-EyHUoX3Tc6aERiZ0tMX1Zmbkk
2017-9-19
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

What is a 'speed error'?
I also had it.
2017-9-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

You better reply again to Diana by quoting her last request. That way she'll get a notification and will know that you have responded. The moderators have so many topics to deal with, that they would not see replies easily without notification I believe.
2017-9-19
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-18 22:39
Sorry, there is only one file in the link you provided, could you please provide all of the three files? Besides, please click the 'Reply' button if you have any further questions, then I'll get a reminder. [view_image]

Files uploaded as requested.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

ped078 Posted at 2017-9-19 09:21
Here are the files you requested

Black box data https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-EyHUoX3Tc6aXFCLWZ0YTlsQTg

Thanks, I've forwarded them to our engineers for analysis, will keep you updated.
2017-9-19
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-19 22:34
Thanks, I've forwarded them to our engineers for analysis, will keep you updated.

Just tried the Spark again, see below.

Now, unless we have have magnetic grass in the UK, the Spar's are having serious issues.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/GXDYDQLJB87NCG5AX5U2/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/K7SXG00JFJLNFQKA0G91/

Aircraft disconnected, but still flying / streaming / recording?!

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/E22GAWA19EV69LUSUBJK/

Multiple errors...

2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

ped078 Posted at 2017-9-21 11:01
Just tried the Spark again, see below.

Now, unless we have have magnetic grass in the UK, the Spar's are having serious issues.

Thanks for the info, our engineers are looking into this case now, will get back to you soon, please wait patiently.
2017-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules