6292 15 2017-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeeDee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 366257 ft
  • >>>
Iraq

Today I got critically low battery - landing,  and he aircraft landed right where it was at 54%., lucky not over water ortoo far away Any suggestions. battery was about 17 degrees C.   
2017-9-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Check the flight log for a bad cell - the log should show each cell and the deviation range .... if a cell goes down seriously - the total voltage will be low and trigger auto-land. Once landed and load is off - the cell rebounds and you see reasonable charge as you say 54%. But under load that cell fails to deliver.

Next you could : Fire up the lot and have motor started on the ground but not take-off ... see what battery cells show. One cell should show lower ... as a small load is on ... if you take-off and keep very low ready to land again ... you should see that cell drop even more ...

If that is case ... cells had it and I advise get a replacement battery for flight ...

You can keep this faulty one for bench use ... ie Updating / simulator etc. instead of using a good flight battery.

Nigel
2017-9-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Battery temp is worrisome.

Please upload your log here:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

...and paste the link.  The membership may be able to provide additional help.  

site credit:  msinger

2017-9-17
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Lucky you weren't way out somewhere. Chuck battery!
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Is there any warning message in APP? How about discharging the battery and fully charging?
2017-9-18
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Sounds like your battery needs recalibrated; critical battery should usually occur at 10% +/-  Procedures for recalibrating a battery are numerous on this forum. These intelligent flight batteries can get out of calibration fairly easily especially if not used in a good while and after auto- discharge has occurred.
2017-9-18
Use props
GeeDee
lvl.3
  • >>>
Iraq

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-18 01:56
Is there any warning message in APP? How about discharging the battery and fully charging?

Thanks everyone, I already recallbrated it,, no warnings or bad cells...I am watching it closely .. I suspect it is a combination of flying with half empty battery on a cold day from now on will fully charge before take off
2017-9-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Arab Emirates

Good .... Full charge !

Let us know what is outcome ...

On the subject of 'calibration of battery' - that's BS myth !!

Charge up and test by take off but stay VERY close to ground ... see results.

Nigel
2017-9-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GeeDee Posted at 2017-9-24 07:31
Thanks everyone, I already recallbrated it,, no warnings or bad cells...I am watching it closely .. I suspect it is a combination of flying with half empty battery on a cold day from now on will fully charge before take off

I suspect it is a combination of flying with half empty battery on a cold day from now on will fully charge before take off .

If you look at your recorded flight data as recommended in post #3, you'll see the voltage for each cell in your battery for every 1/10th of a second during the flight.
From what you've said, it sounds like you were running a very low battery and the cell voltages must have dropped perilously close to 3.3V which will trigger a critically low battery condition and force your drone to land.

NEVER launch with a partially discharged battery, particularly in cold conditions.
The battery % indicator will give you a false reading.
That's just asking for trouble.
Only fly with a fully charged battery.
2017-9-24
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-24 12:06
I suspect it is a combination of flying with half empty battery on a cold day from now on will fully charge before take off .

If you look at your recorded flight data as recommended in post #3, you'll see the voltage for each cell in your battery for every 1/10th of a second during the flight.

Labroides,
Need some instruction on checking battery state in flight log, specifically how is that done?
I can see what the batt was at takeoff and what it is at shutdown, but I cannot tell how to find all this additional data all of you are referring too.  Can you please explain how I can find that info and anything else that might be useful in analyzing my flights?
Thank you
2017-9-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-24 12:54
Labroides,
Need some instruction on checking battery state in flight log, specifically how is that done?
I can see what the batt was at takeoff and what it is at shutdown, but I cannot tell how to find all this additional data all of you are referring too.  Can you please explain how I can find that info and anything else that might be useful in analyzing my flights?

The recorded flight data solves many mysteries and answers many questions.
To read your flight data you upload the relevant txt file from your phone or tablet.
Here's where you upload it and you'll find instructions there:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It provides a very helpful report that includes full battery data and much more.

Here's an example from one I was looking into earlier:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/2ZR9YSZUXAKYXHJLI78D/
You can see that when Olivier flew his Phantom into the lake at high speed, his battery was quite healthy.

2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GeeDee Posted at 2017-9-24 07:31

Battery is one of the most important factors of flight. Please keep us posted if there is any update.
2017-9-27
Use props
GeeDee
lvl.3
  • >>>
Iraq

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-24 13:06
The recorded flight data solves many mysteries and answers many questions.
To read your flight data you upload the relevant txt file from your phone or tablet.
Here's where you upload it and you'll find instructions there:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thanks for the tip on getting the log
Here is the file
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/OHZ7LA7TJTTXK0RK5PGC/
2017-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GeeDee Posted at 2017-9-27 05:52
Thanks for the tip on getting the log
Here is the file
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/OHZ7LA7TJTTXK0RK5PGC/

The critical problem with that flight is that you launched with a battery that had been sitting around for a week or more discharging and it showed 58% before you flew.
The % indicator is only accurate if you start with a fully charged battery.
What the Phantom cares about is the voltage the battery can deliver.
Before flying, yours was showing 15V with no load but as you climbed and put it under load, it rapidly dropped to 13.1V at 38 seconds with some individual cells below the critical 3.3 volts.
You continued to drain the battery by climbing and at 41 seconds all cells were now below 3.3V and it's all over.
The Phantom has to autoland because if you pushed it any further, it would have fallen from the sky.
2017-9-27
Use props
GeeDee
lvl.3
  • >>>
Iraq

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-27 06:31
The critical problem with that flight is that you launched with a battery that had been sitting around for a week or more discharging and it showed 58% before you flew.
The % indicator is only accurate if you start with a fully charged battery.
What the Phantom cares about is the voltage the battery can deliver.

Yep... fully charge is the lesson here
2017-9-27
Use props
Mordorr
lvl.2

Portugal

Strange.......

I had the same error with a battery.....specially with this new 1.11fw...

Just saying....nothing this happen before with old 1.4fw.....

2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules