Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SSD Reader won't load MACOS 10.12.6
1682 6 2017-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mike06
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20075 ft
Canada

I recently purchased the OSMO PRO/RAW

The reader will not mount on my Mac

When I plug it in and insert the SSD
1) both the power and R/W lights light up
2) The R/W light goes off a few seconds later
3) No disk appears in finder

If I open system information and select USB under hardware...
- after the sequence of events above: nothing appears other than the internal components (ie: the reader is not seen as attached to the USB controller)
- If I do File>refresh information while both lights are on: an additional 'storage device' made by Renesas Electronics Corp appears but nothing loads and, if I refresh again after the RW light goes out, this additional device is gone

I've tried this with several USB3 cables and both with and without CineLight running.

So, I can't read the SSD in the reader

Help?!
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Mike, is your Mac the latest system? You can try to use USB 2.0 instead and see if it works.
Please try to connect your reader with computer of Windows system.
Thanks for support.

2017-9-17
Use props
mike06
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-17 18:44
Mike, is your Mac the latest system? You can try to use USB 2.0 instead and see if it works.
Please try to connect your reader with computer of Windows system.
Thanks for support.

Yes, it is the current MacOS system.  Sierra version 10.12.6 (16G29) with 2.8GHz, 4core i7 processor

How would I use USB2? (the device requires a USB 3 cable and the machine has USB 3 ports). I don't have (or want to buy) a USB2 hub just for testing your product. If I can find someone with an older mac, I'll try that.

I don't have a windows system. (and am not going to buy one).

Further experimentation and information:
It IS recognized and subsequently works ONLY if it is connected when the system is restarted. This is obviously unsatisfactory. However, it did let me get to the next problem(s).

1) There seems to be no way to save the original file. One can export it to a different format but not preserve it for future use (such as exporting it to a different format). It strikes me that backing up the original file is a required function unless a file of images (DNG or TIFF) IS an exact duplication of the original content.

2) There is no way to delete a file from the SSD (ie: right click does not offer the action: remove)

3) Exporting to a file of sequential images works and is relatively quick but there is no sound file.
   - is there sound in any version of the RAW file or is one required to pull the sound from the MP4/MOV's compressed audio?

4) the software never uses more than a fraction of one CPU core nor any measurable GPU capacity.
It is clearly not processor limited but, except for exporting file sequences, it is unusably slow. For example, exporting to a ProRes file takes about 15seconds PER FRAME. In contrast to this, the current version of Davinci Studio can export prores from a file stack (the SAME file stack) nearly in real time.
To be clear, this machine easily edits 4K video (including other RAW formats) in other SW platforms so there is some issue with CineLight.

Observations:
I guess this results in a workflow like:
Image capture>
Export all files as a directory of images>
Discard all original files by formatting the drive>
Open the file stack and the MOV/MP4 in Davinci (or some other platform that supports image stacks)>
Match the audio and delete the MOV/MP4 video>
Grade as required>
Export (from Davinci) a suitable archival format>
Use as desired in DaVinci or other NLE.

- There is a need to be able to preserve the original files.
- There should be a way to manage the fines on the SSD (ie: back them up to some local drive where that can also be part of a system backup process and then delete them)
- Given that other software can output ProRes an order of magnitude faster, there is a need (and the possibility) to improve the software.
- If the device does not presently include audio in the RAW file (preferably in a way that the export can synch it to the output format), the device should be updated to that this can happen and the audio format should be of a reasonable quality (for example LPCM16/48) rather than ACC.
2017-9-18
Use props
mike06
lvl.2
Canada

Further testing:

I tried this on a MacBook AIR that has only USB2.

The reader did load (it took over 20 seconds to do so)
Selecting the device in finder resulted in a beachball and about 15seconds to open the window and an additional wait for the files to appear.

So. The good news is a restart is not required. The bad news is that it is unusable for speed reasons.
2017-9-18
Use props
martinfueloep
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1551401 ft
  • >>>
Austria

The only way the SSD Reader works with Mac OS and USB 3 is to plug it in when the system is off. Do not turn it on without inserted SSD.
It took me some time to figure this out, but this is the only reliable way.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

mike06 Posted at 2017-9-18 05:18
Further testing:

I tried this on a MacBook AIR that has only USB2.

That's good to know, the speed of USB 2.0 is slow, why don't you try Martin's suggestion to see if it works.
2017-9-19
Use props
mike06
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-19 01:21
That's good to know, the speed of USB 2.0 is slow, why don't you try Martin's suggestion to see if it works.

As stated in an earlier post - yes, rebooting with the device and card connected seems to work in the sense that the card is found. As a workflow requirement, it is ridiculous. Also, when it is connected the rest of the workflow is unusably slow. Further, this speed issue is nor from being processing bound as both the CPU and GPU can be measured to be mostly idle. For example, from a CPU perspective, the application is using only a fraction of one core.
2017-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules