6956 20 2017-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Yesterday I let my Mavic Pro go as far as possible and it started to complain on weak signal at only 1300 m
It was completely open space with no obstacles.

So declared 7 km range seems rather like fake.
Maybe support can explain?
2017-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i gotten upwards of 4.5 miles over open water and open fields.. that is 7,242 meters..  but my battery only lasts about 3.5-ish miles out if i want to RTH on exact location i took off from safely, which is like 5,632 meters.

have to be mindful where you fly, and what occusync meter shows you in the settings on the app..if the metere showing you alot of spikes across the meter then your range will be dramatically cut down.. and how you position yourself and your antennas.
the other thing is every so often you will drop into weak signal patches and stuff, if you let occusync automatically handle itself it should change its channel and frequency to aviod losing signal..  
2017-9-17
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

Saying it's a fake claim is a bit of a stretch. I've had my Mavic go up to 4km away from me, and only lose a few bars of signal. Maybe there was interference from solar storms for example (yes it can happen), or magnetic interference from something else.
2017-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tango_B Posted at 2017-9-17 18:11
Saying it's a fake claim is a bit of a stretch. I've had my Mavic go up to 4km away from me, and only lose a few bars of signal. Maybe there was interference from solar storms for example (yes it can happen), or magnetic interference from something else.

yea, true, solar activity can actually be problematic.  

check the local KP index where you plan on flying...  i started seeing degradation around KP index of 5.5, which the app i used (kittyhawk) posted a caution for the KP index at 5.5...
2017-9-17
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Honestly the mavic pro and ocusync out performs the battery. As a matter a fact there really isnt a consumer drone dji makes that tops it. Smokes the p4, p4 pro inspire. Pound for pound best transmission distance period. Now are u in europe? U sure there was not any interference? I can get 4 miles out in dense areas. Also the mavic can be pretty far out and be pretty low and maintain signal well!
2017-9-17
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Tango_B Posted at 2017-9-17 18:11

Agree. but the title should be attracting
I am glad to hear that Mavic can really fly much farther than according to my experience.
In my case it was flight above forest during sunny day and I am not sure what could cause connectivity problems
2017-9-17
Use props
Go.Fish
lvl.1
Canada

Just watched a YouTube video of one travelling 7km away and returned to home with just enough battery to land.
Website says "an all-new transmission system with a 4.3mi (7km) *range....*Unobstructed, free of interference, when FCC compliant.
I've had low image transmission signal warnings at the same range as you 1.2kms or so. It have gone 1.6 on a better day without warnings, the area and signal interference will definitely play a role
2017-9-17
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Well above forest doesnt seem to open? Lots of trees i suppose?
2017-9-17
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-17 18:21
Well above forest doesnt seem to open? Lots of trees i suppose?

I was at an open beach and the altitude was quite high so the trees cannot cause any obstruction. It is a tropical island with no sources of other interference
2017-9-17
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

utkin Posted at 2017-9-17 18:36
I was at an open beach and the altitude was quite high so the trees cannot cause any obstruction. It is a tropical island with no sources of other interference

I did 6705M with straight LOS. Also make sure the antennas are positioned correctly. Both straight up and touching the remote.
2017-9-17
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

utkin Posted at 2017-9-17 18:36

what beach so we can figure out if you are CE/SRR/FCC...
2017-9-17
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Try early in the morning and take off from a high elevation Utkin. Fake its not and place and time make a huge difference. Happy flying!
2017-9-17
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I send my Mavic at a bit more than 7 km. away and return him safely for a total of 14.5 km. You need to have an unobstructed path to him all the time and No problems with connection. If there are hills, buildings etc You might loos connection sooner (my personal record is a warning for weak signal at 600m )
2017-9-17
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

In US this is the max. *theoretical* distance under optimal circumstances. In the rest of the world the theoretical distance is approximately the half (Because of radio regulations allowing higher signal-strength in US).
In most countries you are only allowed to fly within light of sight anyway.
2017-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-9-17 22:00
In US this is the max. *theoretical* distance under optimal circumstances. In the rest of the world the theoretical distance is approximately the half (Because of radio regulations allowing higher signal-strength in US).
In most countries you are only allowed to fly within light of sight anyway.

7KM is way short of the max theoretical.   i pushed 7.2KM without meaning to over open field and water.  

and as been mentioned before, if you have clear shot to the drone, the signal will well outlast the battery life of the drone..  
2017-9-17
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-9-17 22:40
7KM is way short of the max theoretical.   i pushed 7.2KM without meaning to over open field and water.  

and as been mentioned before, if you have clear shot to the drone, the signal will well outlast the battery life of the drone..

"..7KM is way short of the max theoretical.   i pushed 7.2KM without meaning to over open field and water.  "

When you got to 7.2km did you turn around and fly back again? So covering a minimum of 14.4km with a single battery!   If you did do this, there is no chance you outlasted the battery life by more than a small margin.   One way flights are atypical.
2017-9-17
Use props
amima42
lvl.2
Flight distance : 851542 ft
  • >>>
Russia

When I first started to use Mavic, I had the same problem for about a month. The range was about 1-1.5km instead of 5.

Guess what was the problem? Antennas orientation. For whatever reason I thought they should be oriented as if they were directed towards the drone with their tips. This gave about 1km range. As soon as I changed antennas direction to make them perpendicular to the plane of remote, I immediately got 5km as described in the specs.
2017-9-17
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

I did 4km the other day over water. Only lost 1 bar on both of the signal meters. Battery stopped me from going further.
This was over a lake on a mountain here in Norway.
2017-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Logger Posted at 2017-9-17 22:49
"..7KM is way short of the max theoretical.   i pushed 7.2KM without meaning to over open field and water.  "

When you got to 7.2km did you turn around and fly back again? So covering a minimum of 14.4km with a single battery!   If you did do this, there is no chance you outlasted the battery life by more than a small margin.   One way flights are atypical.

4.5 miles out..  no it wasn't 4.5 miles back, but im sure i maybe could have , i instead landed it at a friend's house after calling them and then met them up to hang out.   landed with 49% remaining and i was about 2 miles away from my home point, i could have made it.  

as for range outlasting battery life, it is true, few people who made videos and claims about suicide runs, one way only trip, land it then to pick it up.  i haven't built up the courage for that yet.. then you have the people who do battery mods on their mavic's and can manage like 40 minutes of run time..  some of them pushed in CE regions like UK 6+ miles each way.  
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The distance of 7km is under the conditions of FCC certification and unobstructed, free of interference. Flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment, we would suggest that you fly the drone in an open wide area. Check the position of the antennas for the remote controller. Distance should be greater than height during flight, and please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, you can refer to the picture below. Still, use a mobile device with a strong performance.
2017-9-18
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

Ive flown a round trip of 7000m strait line out and back  and lost signal but regained it
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules