Prop guards don't protect props at the front end!!!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NewZed
lvl.1

New Zealand

I've just ordered dji P4Pro prop guards for my P4Adv only to discover that, while there is good protection on each side of the drone, there is an approximately 2cm overlap where the props stick out beyond the guards front and rear.

In reading around the forum it's suggested that the design was modified to prevent the guards interfering with the front vision system. The problem is that when the guards are fitted colision avoidance is disabled so the front vision system will not be required.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

BTW I've been told, by the dji Store, that the old model guards for the P4 series that actually did protect against hitting something in front of the drone are no longer available and this model is the only options.

P4Pro Prop Guards

P4Pro Prop Guards
2017-9-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That's definately an inferior system...

One shouldn't override the other.

They should, in a perfect world, work in coexistence...
Someone with a 3D printer may have the ability to design something that will extend a bit further out.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-17
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

I think prop guards was an after thought, and not much of that thought based upon current DJI specs.  Sure they look helpful, but seem to contradict some of the purposeful features of the Phantom.  
2017-9-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

UCTOPFPV makes prop guards with string.  Not sure if they make one for the P4 series.  

https://www.google.com/search?rl ... i24k1.0.xba6aJBKfA0

Disclaimer:  I personally do not and would not use prop guards except maybe in certain specific situations (beginner, flying indoors, etc.)  
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The P4P prop guards will not affect the forward vision sensor. No worries.
2017-9-19
Use props
NewZed
lvl.1

New Zealand

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-19 00:48

Go to know thx.
2017-10-15
Use props
NewZed
lvl.1

New Zealand

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-18 04:04
UCTOPFPV makes prop guards with string.  Not sure if they make one for the P4 series.  

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVNE_enUS623US633&biw=1920&bih=901&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=uctopfpv+prop+guards&oq=uctopfpv+prop+guards&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3980.6148.0.6273.12.12.0.0.0.0.145.1018.9j3.12.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.11.937...0i30k1j0i24k1.0.xba6aJBKfA0

Much appreciated.
2017-10-15
Use props
Sky Highland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 876867 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-19 00:48

I knew I'd find this post somewhere. I'm a first time owner of the P4P and I'm going to buy the DJI prop guards CP.PT.000599 from B&H. Do they still allow obstacle avoidance?
2017-10-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sky Highland Posted at 2017-10-24 09:20
I knew I'd find this post somewhere. I'm a first time owner of the P4P and I'm going to buy the DJI prop guards CP.PT.000599 from B&H. Do they still allow obstacle avoidance?

Here is the correct one: http://store.dji.com/product/pha ... r-guard?from=search
You can check whether they are matched with the one you mentioned.
2017-10-27
Use props
Sky Highland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 876867 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-27 02:05
Here is the correct one: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-pro-propeller-guard?from=search
You can check whether they are matched with the one you mentioned.

Thank you! If this helps anyone else, I can only find these at the DJI online store. B&H discontinued the product and Amazon doesn't seem to carry it. Not a problem! We love DJI. Just trying to take advantage of deals and discounts when we can.
2017-11-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sky Highland Posted at 2017-11-10 09:52
Thank you! If this helps anyone else, I can only find these at the DJI online store. B&H discontinued the product and Amazon doesn't seem to carry it. Not a problem! We love DJI. Just trying to take advantage of deals and discounts when we can.

Aloha Sky,

No one sees to have mentioned that the reason for the design is to protect the sides of the P4P because the side infrared sensors only work in Beginner and Tripod mode.  The back and front sensors and obstacle avoidance cover the front and back.  This makes them lighter and keeps the propguards out of the picture.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-11-10
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13216588 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-11-10 23:13
Aloha Sky,

No one sees to have mentioned that the reason for the design is to protect the sides of the P4P because the side infrared sensors only work in Beginner and Tripod mode.  The back and front sensors and obstacle avoidance cover the front and back.  This makes them lighter and keeps the propguards out of the picture.

Yes this is an old thread, but I just received my guards and am dismayed that the front is not protected. I read somewhere that the obstacle avoidance IS disabled ON PURPOSE so the pilot can get close for inspections. I have a high rise inspection coming up and obstacle avoidance prevents me from getting up close. I planned to turn it off and have the safety blanket of bump protection if there was some wind or GPS issues between buildings. Turns out that they are completely useless for me since the front of the props AREN'T EVEN PROTECTED! Also, they wouldnt be in the shot if flying very slow or sitting still or looking down a bit. Anyway, not the end of the world, just disappointed that these would even be made. Very misleading.
Got to 2:45 of this video. I saw my product was slightly different but never imagined that the prop guards would not guard the props...

2018-12-13
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for starting this thread. How stupid are prop guards that don't...GUARD THE PROPS
2018-12-13
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-18 03:48
I think prop guards was an after thought, and not much of that thought based upon current DJI specs.  Sure they look helpful, but seem to contradict some of the purposeful features of the Phantom.

I politely disagree; these weren't an afterthought. They are actually 2nd generation of prop guards. The first version (no longer available) actually protected the props on all sides.
2018-12-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a set of aftermarket ones, they protect on all sides but not used them yet, well, i tried them out to make sure they fit ok and they do, i dont think ya need to go dji official for prop guards....
2018-12-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DallasDroneGuy Posted at 12-13 19:33
Yes this is an old thread, but I just received my guards and am dismayed that the front is not protected. I read somewhere that the obstacle avoidance IS disabled ON PURPOSE so the pilot can get close for inspections. I have a high rise inspection coming up and obstacle avoidance prevents me from getting up close. I planned to turn it off and have the safety blanket of bump protection if there was some wind or GPS issues between buildings. Turns out that they are completely useless for me since the front of the props AREN'T EVEN PROTECTED! Also, they wouldnt be in the shot if flying very slow or sitting still or looking down a bit. Anyway, not the end of the world, just disappointed that these would even be made. Very misleading.
Got to 2:45 of this video. I saw my product was slightly different but never imagined that the prop guards would not guard the props...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxJfNg35upE&t=306s

Aloha DDG,

There is a lot more to this propguard issue than the little bit you have covered.  I have and have used all three types of propguard.  You are applying the propguard principles of the P3 Series to the P4 Series.  But, they are like apples and oranges or maybe tangerines and oranges.

You have two P4 Pros, Version 1 and Version 2.  Both P4 Pros have side infrared object detection and avoidance, but they are only available when the Phantom is flying in Beginner and Tripod Modes.  This is an important point.  This is why the P4 Series propguards only provide side protection.  You do not need front and back protection because of object avoidance.

The discontinued original P4 propguards disabled object avoidance because they interfered with the sensors.  The original P4 propguards did extend in front to protect the props from objects in the front.  But DJI determined that object avoidance could do a better job and without the propguards extending in front, the propguards would not get in the picture.

Tripod Mode has "Narrow Sensing".  Narrow Sensing cuts obstacle avoidance distances in half or more.  If you have a high rise inspection coming up soon, you need to test Narrow Sensing and train with it until you get comfortable with it.

Tripod Mode does what it sounds like, it strongly stabilizes the Phantom and only allows slow very controlled movement - perfect for high rise inspections.  With Narrow Sensing, I can get up to 18-24 inches of a wall and the P4 Pro stops itself.  I can also fly between barriers 6-7 feet apart.  But, you have to find out what your two P4 Pros can do before you take them into the field for work.

Narrow Sensing is enabled as an option of the C1 and C2 buttons for the P4 Pros only.  I strongly suggest you set the C1 button to Narrow Sensing if you use the Mode 2 Stick configuration.  This allows the right side stick to move you fore-aft and sideways.  Since you have to press AND HOLD the C1 button (left hand) to enable Narrow Sensing, you can free up the right hand for more delicate movements.

If I have to use Narrow Sensing a lot, I rig a tongue depressor or popsicle stick to make it easier to hold the C1 button down and still make finer rotations and altitude changes.  Tape one end of the popsicle stick to the side of the remote controller and funnel the alignment through a flexible "holder" and then the act of holding the remote controller allows you to hold the C1 button down.  I used to regularly release the C1 button by accident and lose Narrow Sensing.

Be sure to record video in 4K so you can use post production to zoom in very close to any problem areas.  The zoom images can be "pulled" from the video as .jpg images.  DJI products are amazing tools that allow us to do amazing things.  Be sure to test and practice before you go in the field!

If you will be inspecting in dark areas, buy some LumeCubes.  They are made to attach to the P4 Series and are adjustable.  RedHotPoker on the Forum here knows a lot about LumeCubes.  You may be a friend of his already!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-12-13
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-12-13 23:25
Aloha DDG,

There is a lot more to this propguard issue than the little bit you have covered.  I have and have used all three types of propguard.  You are applying the propguard principles of the P3 Series to the P4 Series.  But, they are like apples and oranges or maybe tangerines and oranges.

Aloha Cetacean,

OK...I am just now looking into prop guards...I know a little late. Anyway, I am mainly thinking for the purpose of close proximity indoor flying. Would tripod with "narrow sensing" still be the answer?

It is my understanding when flying indoors you generally fly in ATTI mode due to difficulty getting GPS locks/sats. Isn't tripod a GPS mode and won't work for this?

I bring it up to not to nay say but these new prop guards don't protect the front/rear parts of the props well but if the front sensors will still stop/slow the drone in ATTI mode I guess it is fine.

Can you address? hopefully that all makes sense. I just want to make sure that the guards will work for how I intend to use them.
2019-1-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 1-22 10:36
Aloha Cetacean,

OK...I am just now looking into prop guards...I know a little late. Anyway, I am mainly thinking for the purpose of close proximity indoor flying. Would tripod with "narrow sensing" still be the answer?

Aloha Kenny,

Prop guards are a good idea, especially when flying indoors.  Tripod and indoor flying lean heavily on the Vision Positioning System (VPS) and object avoidance.  However, I have not found very many locations that are not penetrated by GPS/GLONASS.  The front and back sensors use ultrasonic sensing (sonar) and video vision, both developed through robotics.  (DJI supports an international robotics competition.)  There are also sonic and video sensors facing downward.  Together, these are known as the VPS - Vision Positioning System.

If you look at the Tello, you will be able to see that it was pretty much developed for indoor flying using the VPS.  But, it does have full prop coverage with its propguards.  Vertically, altitude is measured barometrically for all the quads and most aircraft of any type, so barometric altimetry is very well developed.

The sensors on the sides of the P4 Pros are infrared.  They are only enabled in Tripod and Beginner Mode.  This is why prop guards are useful for the other types of flying, the side sensors are not active.

Be very careful when using ATTI Mode.  ATTI Mode only uses barometric altimetry, there is no other sensing and no object avoidance.  ATTI is nearly pure hands on eyeball flying.  

In fact to see how fast and what direction the wind is blowing, I put whatever bird I am flying at a specific altitude of concern and put it in ATTI mode.  You can look at it from the ground to get the wind information or you can aim the camera straight down and get the wind information from the Live View.  

Be sure to remember to enable the GPS/GLONASS and VPS again because - you can take it from me - it can get very confusing.  You expect the orientation and control, but it is not there!  After the adrenalin rush though, it gets back to normal quickly when you put it back in "P" mode - but you remember that flight!

The P4 Series prop guards are easy clip-in and clip-release.  But, the prop arms have a clear plastic place holder for the propguard that is often lost and then people try to get replacements.  Very hard.  It is often better to just remove the remaining place holders and sell them to someone who just has to have them all and in place.  BTW, the place holders are not easy to remove, so look at them very carefully, figure it out, and then do your best to avoid damage.

When flying Tripod, and you should indoors; using narrow sensing helps you get around because almost the entire indoor environment is within the range of object avoidance.  For me narrow sensing limits object avoidance to between two feet and a foot and a half.  BTW, my recent tests have shown narrow sensing to work with normal object avoidance.  I had previously thought incorrectly that it only worked with Tripod.

So, in summary, the object avoidance is why the P4 Series prop guards do not extend as forward and backward protection.  Object avoidance provides that protection.  This allows for better photography and videography because the propguards do not get in the picture.  The propguards are light-weight and do give you some peace of mind

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-22
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 1-22 15:51
Aloha Kenny,

Prop guards are a good idea, especially when flying indoors.  Tripod and indoor flying lean heavily on the Vision Positioning System (VPS) and object avoidance.  However, I have not found very many locations that are not penetrated by GPS/GLONASS.  The front and back sensors use ultrasonic sensing (sonar) and video vision, both developed through robotics.  (DJI supports an international robotics competition.)  There are also sonic and video sensors facing downward.  Together, these are known as the VPS - Vision Positioning System.

Aloha & WOW!!!

That is a great response. Some really in depth information and very helpful...Thank you. I went ahead and order a set of the new prop guards yesterday.

I probably shouldn't say this here but I was going to buy them through the DJI store but shipping was going to be $15 (making them like $40). So I found them on Amazon (no shipping with a Prime Account) and paid $24.

Thank you again for you help.
2019-1-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KennyB Posted at 1-23 03:24
Aloha & WOW!!!

That is a great response. Some really in depth information and very helpful...Thank you. I went ahead and order a set of the new prop guards yesterday.

Aloha Kenny,

Yes, that is one of the problems with the DJI Store - shipping.  The cut-off for shipping is $90, after that shipping is free.  I save up purchases till they are over $90, but then I get sucked into more expensive purchases to get over the cut-off.  But, the shipping has really improved and is much faster.  I got hit with shipping only once - then I read the directions!

Be sure to read the manual more than just once.  Most of us that answer questions on this Forum have read the various manuals a half dozen times.  They are a great resource and really give you a broader view of flying DJI products than a simple overview.  Usually this helps us to answer our own questions and help others with theirs.  

Once you have started using the manuals, you learn that they do not answer all the questions, even some important questions.  That is what these discussions are good for.  Way back when, I actually submitted some edits that came out in the first revision of the manual.  There are many ways we can help our cutting edge technology improve.  As we can see with many of the complaints, use can be as important as the hardware.  If you do not know how to use the hardware, the technology gets lost in the communication.

Have fun with those propguards.  Peace of mind does get improved with their use but they are not a panacea.  And these ones do not get in the photos and video as bad as the previous versions.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-23
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2018-12-13 23:25
Aloha DDG,

Lots of good info, thank you. I thought I was very familiar with tripod mode (I love it and use it all the time) but knew nothing of the narrow sensing feature. Good to know! P.S. the client "postponed" the inspection because blah blah need to have the funds approved form higher ups. We're having lunch next week, hope it goes through!
2019-2-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DallasDroneGuy Posted at 2-3 20:36
Lots of good info, thank you. I thought I was very familiar with tripod mode (I love it and use it all the time) but knew nothing of the narrow sensing feature. Good to know! P.S. the client "postponed" the inspection because blah blah need to have the funds approved form higher ups. We're having lunch next week, hope it goes through!

Aloha DDG,

Good to hear the venture is still a possibility.  BTW, please note in my post to Kenny that the Narrow Sensing also works with normal Object Avoidance when you are not in Tripod mode.  I was surprised to find that out.  It turns out that Narrow Sensing is a real good tool to have in your kit.

Good Luck!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules