3043 20 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
george_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

Hi Team!

I read in many threads that people are upset because they were forced to update their Phantom 4
and that the firmware made their drone impossible to fly, due to the "wobbly" flight characteristics.

I must have missed something. How does this "forced update" work?

I get a message in DJI GO 3 (which I'm still using along with 1.2.503) when I start up my phantom 4
that says "Update required" but that's it. If I close the start-up status side menue on the left hand-side
the message goes away and I can fly as normal.

Have others not been able to fly their Phantom until they updated the firmware?

Regards
Georg
2017-9-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

The updates are NOT required for you to fly. You will continue to see the reminder, which is annoying, but it will not disable your aircraft. Yes, many of us (with all models of Phantoms) may choose to not upgrade for those reasons. If you are happy with the way your aircraft flies, I would suggest not doing anything. There is a lot of discussion regarding the upgrading and many different opinions for sure. One piece of advice might be to wait a short time to see if the feedback from users are positive or not. Sometimes it might take a bit after a new firmware release for DJI to tweak or make changes to address issues. The problem now is that when you install firmware you may not be able to roll it back to an earlier version. This wasn't always the case in the past especially with the phantom 3 series. It used to be you could install the firmware and if you had issues, you simply installed a previous version.......DJI changed that!  
2017-9-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Many people say they were "forced" to upgrade" .  Totally false.  On the app updates, if they have their device set to auto update, then they probably don't even know their GO or GO4 has changed.
2017-9-18
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Sweden

I see the reminder every time I start up my P4 but never during flight or any other time.
I think my brain has learned to filter it out because I almost don't notice it anymore. :-)

So there really is no "forced update". That answered my question. Thanks! :-)
2017-9-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

george_007 Posted at 2017-9-18 06:31
I see the reminder every time I start up my P4 but never during flight or any other time.
I think my brain has learned to filter it out because I almost don't notice it anymore. :-)

Just keep on flying for now George_007. To Alabama's comment....which you probably already have done, but turn off auto-updates to prevent any unwanted changes with your app too. Understand your phantom is requesting a firmware upgrade, but a lot of times you may want to have control of when your app gets updated too. The firmware is only updated when you allow it to. There is a work around to keep the message from appearing, but that is another story.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

george_007 Posted at 2017-9-18 06:31

Updating is always a good idea. However, it does sound like you are happy with the aircraft as is. It can help improve the functionality of the aircraft.
2017-9-18
Use props
robert266
lvl.2
  • >>>
Romania

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-18 09:22
Updating is always a good idea. However, it does sound like you are happy with the aircraft as is. It can help improve the functionality of the aircraft.

Improve like the latest P4 Failware ?
2017-9-18
Use props
Ercoupedriver
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1075778 ft
United States

Mark, don't worry about what Robert said, me and probably the majority of the people that did the up-grade had a flawless transition.   
2017-9-18
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Ercoupedriver Posted at 2017-9-18 16:07
Mark, don't worry about what Robert said, me and probably the majority of the people that did the up-grade had a flawless transition.

Then why has DJI recently pulled the latest firmware release notes from their P4 download site?
2017-9-18
Use props
wormz30
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226460 ft
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-18 16:21
Then why DJI has recently pulled the latest firmware release notes from their P4 download site?

DAAAAAAAAAYUUUUMMMM!!!! hahahaha
2017-9-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

While you are not forced to perform updates, many people are not aware that on their phone or tablet, the default setting is to auto-update their apps. If the DJI-Go is updated, then it has, in the past, prevented people from flying until either the aircraft firmware or the RC controller firmware is also updated. So in that sense it can 'force' you to update. If you want to avoid this, is is a good idea to set update to manual for all your apps or at least the DJI-Go app.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JockC Posted at 2017-9-18 16:21
Then why has DJI recently pulled the latest firmware release notes from their P4 download site?

The release note stays on 2017.07.06: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 4+Release+Notes.pdf
2017-9-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-18 23:56
The release note stays on 2017.07.06: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/20170706/Phantom+4+Release+Notes.pdf

Good to see they're back again, it must have been confusing for new users seeing the release notes from last November.
2017-9-19
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-9-19 00:11
Good to see they're back again, it must have been confusing for new users seeing the release notes from last November.

I think that the ones who are confused are DJI. They appear not to have a clue what they’re doing with the various RC and drone releases. All that P4 owners want is a stable combination of firmware and software that actually works without any of the problems being constantly reported over the last two and a half months. Is that really too much to ask?
2017-9-19
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-19 00:45
Is that really too much to ask?

Apparently it is too much to ask.  Part of the problem might be that DJI is being pulled in 3 different directions at once:

There is one group of people that includes me and you who just want a stable functioning drone.  Then there's another group of users who want new features all the time, mostly play-toy silly nonsense or features that compensate for their lack of flying skill or their inability to properly adjust settings.  (Tripod mode, tap to fly, precision landing, you name it.)  Then there's the 3rd group which includes the regulators and lawyers who cause DJI to restrict our ability to fly our drones.

It's probably hard to juggle all that at once.  It wouldn't hurt to have proper testing before releasing this stuff, though.  Why is it that bad firmware can get released very quickly, but working firmware always takes months and months?

2017-9-19
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Sweden

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-9-18 09:13
Just keep on flying for now George_007. To Alabama's comment....which you probably already have done, but turn off auto-updates to prevent any unwanted changes with your app too. Understand your phantom is requesting a firmware upgrade, but a lot of times you may want to have control of when your app gets updated too. The firmware is only updated when you allow it to. There is a work around to keep the message from appearing, but that is another story.

Yes, the auto update on all my phones and tablets are always disabled. :-)
2017-9-25
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-18 09:22

I would love the new features but since the AC flies like a dream today on 1.2.503 I'm to chicken to risk a bad update. :-)
And since I fly commercially a grounded bird due to a bad update is not an option. I'm playing it safe. :-)

2017-9-25
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Sweden

RE: Forced to upgrade the firmware?

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-19 01:20
Why is it that bad firmware can get released very quickly, but working firmware always takes months and months?

Yeah, that's weird. It's almost like there is some sort of connection between good quality, properly working firmware releases and thorough testing.
2017-9-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

george_007 Posted at 2017-9-25 06:16
I would love the new features but since the AC flies like a dream today on 1.2.503 I'm to chicken to risk a bad update. :-)
And since I fly commercially a grounded bird due to a bad update is not an option. I'm playing it safe. :-)

I'm with you 100% George_007! It's kind of hard to even think of upgrading when you are perfectly happy with how your aircraft is flying. The 'ol saying about how the grass always looks greener somewhere else is very true in my opinion. Sure I also have dreams, and wish for things I don't have, but sometimes you need to be grateful for what you have. Sometimes jumping into something new doesn't always work out. LOL
2017-9-25
Use props
LostxRabbitt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3200420 ft
United States

I was just forced to upgrade. All this talk about them not forcing you or not grounding your aircraft is BS.  My fav racer would not take off no matter what I did unless I updated to v 1.002.0015.  That is a fact.  All this control dji maintains over my aircraft is bull....  The drone is mine I didn’t lease it I am not renting it,  I paid 2000 bucks for my gear and I don’t like some Chinese company maintaining control of a product I purchased it’s f-d up. Mind you business dji leave enforcement up to the government and keep your greedy little commie hands outta my Shiot.  F-u xing pi. Your mommas a hoe.
2022-3-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

LostxRabbitt Posted at 3-13 09:56
I was just forced to upgrade. All this talk about them not forcing you or not grounding your aircraft is BS.  My fav racer would not take off no matter what I did unless I updated to v 1.002.0015.  That is a fact.  All this control dji maintains over my aircraft is bull....  The drone is mine I didn’t lease it I am not renting it,  I paid 2000 bucks for my gear and I don’t like some Chinese company maintaining control of a product I purchased it’s f-d up. Mind you business dji leave enforcement up to the government and keep your greedy little commie hands outta my Shiot.  F-u xing pi. Your mommas a hoe.

Nice language a*sehole. Go rant somewhere else, we don't need you here.
2022-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules