12Next >
5353 50 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Slic Ric
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4393 ft
United States

Hey peeps. I've sent my Mavic Pro off for Refresh Express. I've spent a lot of time navigating this forum in recent weeks. I've seen problems with refurbished units on this forum, others and through google. Now I'm debating with myself whether I should have had it reapired.
My Mavic Pro has less than 100 hours of flight. It's impact that forced me to send it is was a light one. I had no problems before the accident.
I'm looking for opinions. As much as I want my (or any) drone back ASAP, should this be fixed or replaced with a refurbished unit? It's still new.
2017-9-18
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It will be replaced with a refurbished unit regardless of how good condition it is in or how old it is. mine had next to no hours of flight on it. I am going through a nightmare right now with this crap
2017-9-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

It's still new.

Correction:  It was new.  Now it's out of your hands and gone.  I don't much see the point in asking for opinions now that what's done is done.

2017-9-18
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

That is easy to say but not swallow...............this is not some stupid toy drone bud, this is 1000 quids worth.

Should be able to get it back in my opinion as from what I am seeing, physical vendors (re-sellers) are doing a better job than DJI and guaranteeing a proper like for like replacement in most cases.
2017-9-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I agree, it's not easy to swallow and I'd be royally p1ssed off too.  But the time to ask for opinions is before you send it off, not after.

If/when I wreck my new Mavic I'll be between a rock and a hard place deciding if I want to send it in for a refurb replacement or pay big bucks out of pocket for a 3rd party to fix it.  I can guarantee though that I won't come here asking for advice after DJI has already sent my new Mavic off to some other bloke.  By then it won't matter.
2017-9-18
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-18 06:20
It's still new.

Correction:  It was new.  Now it's out of your hands and gone.  I don't much see the point in asking for opinions now that what's done is done.

WOW, While I appreciate and respect your opinion, your demeanor leaves much to be desired. I would expect I can cancel my express replacement and ask for a FIX since DJI has yet to receive my Mavic. Please feel free to not reply.
2017-9-18
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Slic Ric Posted at 2017-9-18 09:10
WOW, While I appreciate and respect your opinion, your demeanor leaves much to be desired. I would expect I can cancel my express replacement and ask for a FIX since DJI has yet to receive my Mavic. Please feel free to not reply.

Wow; I agree with the OP.  Lots of unnecessary poor attitudes on this forum!
2017-9-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Please feel free to not reply.

Yeah that's OK; I will anyway.

The unfortunate situation with being sent a refurb has nothing to do with the user requesting an express replacement as you seem to be implying.  If you ask for a "repair" from DJI you are likely to get a refurb.  If DJI does anything at all with your drone, you're getting a refurb.

I suppose you could tell DJI not to even touch anything and send it straight back to you.  Or have the shipper intercept it and return to sender at your expense.

2017-9-18
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-18 13:26

The unfortunate situation with being sent a refurb has nothing to do with the user requesting an express replacement as you seem to be implying.  If you ask for a "repair" from DJI you are likely to get a refurb.  If DJI does anything at all with your drone, you're getting a refurb.

Did you send out the drone yet? what was the final decision. Usually if a refurbished gets sent to you it is because there is a great deal wrong with the aircraft and sometimes it makes more sense for a refurbish.
2017-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ignore what the begrudgers say, you are entitled to a new or refurbished as new Mavic under the contract of your care refresh, you don't have to accept some shoddy replacement, if you are unhappy about what you receive back return it.
Good luck..

So many whingers around here.
2017-9-18
Use props
MoHoGalore
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206617 ft
United States

Jinjur Posted at 2017-9-18 06:17
It will be replaced with a refurbished unit regardless of how good condition it is in or how old it is. mine had next to no hours of flight on it. I am going through a nightmare right now with this crap

Can you elaborate on the nightmare? I've just sent mine in after crashing and destroying the gimbal. Now I'm anxious to know what to expect.
2017-9-18
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-18 13:26

"Refresh Express" is when the owner sends their quad to a DJI facility. Upon acceptence, DJI sends a refurbished quad back. done and done."Refresh" with out Express. DJI will receive the quad, inspect and then replace or fix at their disgression.
This is how I understand it. You seem to know it all so correct me if I am wrong.
Let's clear this up while we are at it Mr. Irate know it all. I was not implying. I was stating the FACT that I requested a Refresh Express. As you do not know what is wrong with my Mavic how could you possibly deam it worthy of replacement refurb rather than a service? Please show me your sources that show that "If DJI does anything at all with your drone, you're getting a refurb.". Once again your reply has no merit, no usefulness about it all.

2017-9-18
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-18 13:40
Did you send out the drone yet? what was the final decision. Usually if a refurbished gets sent to you it is because there is a great deal wrong with the aircraft and sometimes it makes more sense for a refurbish.

DJI-Mark is right on. I did send out my Mavic for an express replacement. I couldn't possibly know how many problems with refurbs, or nightmare dealings people are having with Refresh. This is the reason for my thread. I would expect there are far more people who are perfectly content with their dealings with DJI and their Refresh policies. I also would like to believe that quads get fixed, and fixed right.
2017-9-18
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-18 15:11
Ignore what the begrudgers say, you are entitled to a new or refurbished as new Mavic under the contract of your care refresh, you don't have to accept some shoddy replacement, if you are unhappy about what you receive back return it.
Good luck..

Are you joking?

i am trying to return a crap refurbished unit and have been referred to DJI's legal team.

Does that sound simple to you mate?
2017-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jinjur Posted at 2017-9-18 23:37
Are you joking?

i am trying to return a crap refurbished unit and have been referred to DJI's legal team.

Just because you had a problem doesn't mean everyone else will have one.
2017-9-19
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-19 00:50
Just because you had a problem doesn't mean everyone else will have one.

Easy for you to say mate as you got a nice shiny new drone sent back to you for your "inconvenience"

I might have the same skippy attitude as you had I received the same experience

But i did not.

And nor have many.

So yeah, not just me obviously.
2017-9-19
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jinjur Posted at 2017-9-19 00:54
Easy for you to say mate as you got a nice shiny new drone sent back to you for your "inconvenience"

And don't forget........a point that I forgot to add and slightly different to the OP's issue with Care Refresh

Mine is a WARRANTY issue.

If I am getting a refurbished drone older than mine was for a warranty claim, there is little chance for a new craft with refresh.
2017-9-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jinjur Posted at 2017-9-19 00:54

Ahh well hopefully legal will help out.
2017-9-19
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-19 01:03
Ahh well hopefully legal will help out.

Me too.

But that is not going to happen.

Good luck OP
2017-9-19
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Jeez bunch of miserable people on this forum man. Op good luck bro hope u get a good mavic back. Seems it sort of like a lotto
2017-9-19
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I sent mine in, got a new one back, even though the Manufacture date was earlier then the one I got back then the one I sent in. there was NO "R" at the end of the SN.
2017-9-19
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

What I don't understand here is if there is body damage (and after testing it is found that the electrics are fine) then why not transplant the electrics into a new body (not recon/refurb) or vice versa, if you have some faulty electrics then why not replace the faulty unit and send the drone back to the owner.

I don't like the idea personally that if i send my drone back I will be getting a refurb unit in return that is most likely going to be older than the one I sent in and maybe the drone I send in had minimal damage.
2017-9-19
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-19 02:01
Jeez bunch of miserable people on this forum man.

That is the usual outcome after you treat your customers like @#* for an extended period.

And yes, it does seem like a lotto.  Some folks win.  Some folks lose.  But the only true winners are the ones selling the tickets.

2017-9-19
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Exactly. I would literally rather wait and get an ACTUAL fix for my drone rather than something I know nothing about.

I am not asking for new. I don't expect something for nothing. However, I most certainly DO NOT expect lesser than what I returned.

I want equal or better in condition and age. You could not get better condition than mine but I am not taking an older device. Not accepting that.
2017-9-19
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

You have an option when you send it in to ask for it to be repaired, or to have it replace under the care refresh program. I sent my in with very minor damage. I got an estimate of $185 to repair it and $79 to replace it under the care refresh program. I chose to replace it and got a new Mavic back.
2017-9-19
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yeah, but.............just IMO of course. As I have stated to DJI, I am also a Care Refresh owner and would be more than happy to have a DJI refurbished Mavic back in the case where I turned my Mavic into a Lego puzzle. I would not expect a new Mavic regardless of insurance. This is maybe where the OP is.
However, the OP should at least have the choice as to what happens.

But in my case of a warranty issue with a product, where it fails due to no action on my part within the first year of ownership? No. I do not really expect a refurbished product that looks worse than the one that was returned for "repair" and most certainly not an older drone.

What I would expect:

- My Mavic, fixed and returned to me in the box I sent it in. With mathcing serial numbers
- A refurbished Mavic, the same age or younger than mine, presented *AS NEW* (or in exact return state) including all packaging stickers, in its own box, with matching serial numbers as mine was.
- A new Mavic, in a box with matching serial numbers.

I do not expect:

- A Mavic with visibile signs of use when the Mavic I returnd was PRISTINE. Really pristine
- A Mavic whose serial number does not match that on the box
- A Mavic that has obviously had a bang significant enough to damage the gimbal protector
- A Mavic that is older than mine, confirmed by serial number
- To have to chase a huge manufacturer like DJI around issues like this
- To have the original vendor offer to help but be hampered because of the above

This is pretty easy stuff.

2017-9-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

MoHoGalore Posted at 2017-9-18 15:12
Can you elaborate on the nightmare? I've just sent mine in after crashing and destroying the gimbal. Now I'm anxious to know what to expect.

Gimbals are self contained units that can usually be replaced. Not all units that are sent in are provided a refurbished.
2017-9-19
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
United States

So. Here is the update. I chatted (online) with a customer service rep. It was a lengthy 30 minute chat and there was definitely confusion with the rep as to what it was I was asking for but I have been assured that my Mavic Pro would be Refreshed without "Express". I was told to expect an email within 24 hours (which I have not received two days later).
NOW I am in a new chat window. No note was previously attached to my case. I have again been assured that my Mavic will get the chance of being estimated for repair.
Hopefully I got through this time.
2017-9-20
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Even if you opt for repair of your Mavic I believe you will still be sent a replacement unit. Does the repair facility actually repair the aircraft? There's a lot of evidence suggesting not. They merely evaluate your aircraft, provide you with the invoice option to pay for repair or use your DJI Care Refresh, then send you a new or refurbished unit no matter which way you choose. The damaged aircraft are likely sent back to China where they are refurbished then sent back to repair facilities who then send them back to the customer as replacement units.
2017-9-20
Use props
chub1962
lvl.2
Flight distance : 644915 ft
Australia

I am feeling a bit like Jinjur here. My mavic was sent in a week ago because of tbe "gimbal freak out" issue.  Under 3 months old, no accidents or hard landings, well looked after, like new.  From what I read here, i could get a refurb back that one of the people here slammed into a tree and smashed the gimbal. As much as they might repair it, I would be worried about unseen issues, hairline internal fractures etc.  luckily in Australia we have strong consumer laws and I will be happy to go legal if I dont like waht comes back.
2017-9-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Slic Ric Posted at 2017-9-20 07:30
So. Here is the update. I chatted (online) with a customer service rep. It was a lengthy 30 minute chat and there was definitely confusion with the rep as to what it was I was asking for but I have been assured that my Mavic Pro would be Refreshed without "Express". I was told to expect an email within 24 hours (which I have not received two days later).
NOW I am in a new chat window. No note was previously attached to my case. I have again been assured that my Mavic will get the chance of being estimated for repair.

Well well, Slic Ric, Here's yet another guy who sent his in for repair and just today was surprised to get someone else's refurb back.  And all he needed was a new ESC board.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-111606-1-1.html

You can believe what you want to believe, you can believe DJI reps, you can believe in Santa Claus, or you can believe real stories from real folks that are getting the shaft every day.
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Slic Ric Posted at 2017-9-20 07:30

How about the case now? Is there an update? Could you please provide me with the case number so I can check more info for you?  
2017-9-24
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-23 07:54
Well well, Slic Ric, Here's yet another guy who sent his in for repair and just today was surprised to get someone else's refurb back.  And all he needed was a new ESC board.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-111606-1-1.html

Well Well Irate Retro... Troll. Looking AGAIN to start some crap. Sorry to AGAIN burst your bubble mate. My dealing with DJI customer support ended up being right on. It wasn't perfectly smooth though. First I had to spend some time in a chat window trying to get the representative to understand what I was looking to do (fix MY drone). A note was supposed to have been attached to my case. I asked for an emailed written confirmation which I was assured I would have in 24 hours. When I received no email, I contacted DJI online chat support again. This time, again, I had to spend a lot of time to get the message across that I had a case for a refresh express and that I wanted My drone fixed instead. On this day my drone was due to be received at the California location so timing was very important. I was transferred to a supervisor who would get in contact with the repair team. We had a chat, back and forth and I was being coerced into accepting a replacement unit. I pleaded my case again stating that my drone was too new to want to accept a possible old unit with other issues. So the representative stated that he would put in a request for a new unit be shipped back to me. I accepted. FedEx 2 Day shipping from California to Florida and I have a new Mavic Pro. Synced, tested, perfect.
2017-9-27
Use props
Slic Ric
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-24 18:49
How about the case now? Is there an update? Could you please provide me with the case number so I can check more info for you?

Thanks for checking in DJI Thor. As you can read from my above post, I am all set and perfectly happy with the support I received. All I can say to others is, you have to communicate. Maybe more than once, ask questions, request transcripts of conversations, written acknowledgement, confirmation.
2017-9-27
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Slic Ric Posted at 2017-9-27 07:54
Well Well Irate Retro... Troll. Looking AGAIN to start some crap. Sorry to AGAIN burst your bubble mate. My dealing with DJI customer support ended up being right on. It wasn't perfectly smooth though. First I had to spend some time in a chat window trying to get the representative to understand what I was looking to do (fix MY drone). A note was supposed to have been attached to my case. I asked for an emailed written confirmation which I was assured I would have in 24 hours. When I received no email, I contacted DJI online chat support again. This time, again, I had to spend a lot of time to get the message across that I had a case for a refresh express and that I wanted My drone fixed instead. On this day my drone was due to be received at the California location so timing was very important. I was transferred to a supervisor who would get in contact with the repair team. We had a chat, back and forth and I was being coerced into accepting a replacement unit. I pleaded my case again stating that my drone was too new to want to accept a possible old unit with other issues. So the representative stated that he would put in a request for a new unit be shipped back to me. I accepted. FedEx 2 Day shipping from California to Florida and I have a new Mavic Pro. Synced, tested, perfect.

I think you're missing the point which is that even if you opt to have your aircraft repaired you will simply get a replacement, be it new or refurbished which is exactly what happened in your case and you proved the point. So your raising the question of "should I have it repaired or replaced" ultimately ends up with the same result -- it will be replaced.

2017-9-27
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Slic Ric Posted at 2017-9-27 07:58
Thanks for checking in DJI Thor. As you can read from my above post, I am all set and perfectly happy with the support I received. All I can say to others is, you have to communicate. Maybe more than once, ask questions, request transcripts of conversations, written acknowledgement, confirmation.

Glad you got sorted Slic Ric ... Have to say it's a poor show when you have to call/email several times and get told things will happen (emails in 24 hours etc.etc.) and then for them not o happen. Notes not being left on your file etc.

I am like you though and tend to hound them in a professional manner until i get what I deserve by way of items and customer service.

Note to all: we all generally have modern phones with decent cameras, do as I do and record anything you send back in packaging etc. by taking a photograph and then sending the company the photographs to add to your file they should have already opened on their system.  You cannot take too many photographs of various states of packaging etc. Make reference of serial No.s and anything else you can think of. I did this with Yuneec on a drone that would not update its firmware, it went ou and came back in perfect condition.

All too often large companies do not give the levels of service one would expect, especially for large cost items such as drones.
2017-9-27
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Either one is good to go if it's certifiably coming from DJI. I'm even considering a refurb as back-up unit.  
2017-9-27
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Slic Ric Posted at 2017-9-27 07:54

Glad you got everything worked out to your satisfaction.  I'm not sure documenting/recording everything would have made any difference if it had not worked out your way.  Point of clarification:  As you well know, English is a very ambiguous language compared to most.  "New unit" can mean a new unit to you (regardless of condition), or it can mean a brand new unit.  I'm unsure of which one you received.

Think if would have turned out the same if everyone wasn't here watching to see what would happen?  Hell, maybe you have some troll to thank for your outcome.

P.S.  No, I'm not simply a troll, but I do like to stir the pot once in a while.  Your soup sticks to the bottom of the pot if you don't stir it occasionally.
2017-9-27
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

The issue is value.  If you get a working drone back to you and its a few months or a year older or so - the value really hasn't changed.  It comes down to wear and tear on the parts of the device that matter.  A repaired drone or a refurbished drone in the eyes of the law are the same thing as they have the same innate value.  This is something that has been litigated by the insurance industry almost 100 years ago at this point.  

So - although people may be upset they got a refurb back - as long as it has all the same features and relative same level of wear and tear on functioning parts - you got what you paid for.  
2017-9-27
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

That is a good result for you dude

But it pi$$es me off even more.

DJI reps.......is it down to how hard we plead to your online agents as to whether we get a brand new unit or a crock of unknown crap?

So this dude (again, no offense) stacks his drone, pleads hard and gets a new one.

Mine fails, because of a manufacturing defect....and i get an older, used drone?

WTF DJI?
2017-9-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules