Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Alternating Red & Yellow Rear Light ?
19333 34 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

Newbie Mavic Pro who has had several flights (about 6 batteries worth thus far) and the last three batteries worth, the rear light flashed alternating red and yellow the entire time.  What is that indictive of ?  (wow, ending in a preposition . . yikes!)

2017-9-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

It might be indicative of a pilot who didn't read the manual.  You may wish to calibrate your compass though.
2017-9-18
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-18 07:58
It might be indicative of a pilot who didn't read the manual.  You may wish to calibrate your compass though.

Did you also notice that the OP gives himself the title of doctor?
A doctor who doesn't read the manual gives me the creeps...
2017-9-18
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

What manual?  Not a doctor of drones.  :-)
2017-9-18
Use props
J.T.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2076637 ft
Italy

The Mavic manual ;) you can find it in the GO4 App or download from the Dji website
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+V1.8.pdf
2017-9-18
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

DrDimento
I have been reading your questions and responses. I really suggest you read the manual, twice and watch all the u-tube video's before you fly or buy any more accessories.
I know it is not the cool thing to do, but ....
2017-9-18
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-9-18 08:42
DrDimento
I have been reading your questions and responses. I really suggest you read the manual, twice and watch all the u-tube video's before you fly or buy any more accessories.
I know it is not the cool thing to do, but ....

Thanks @Locoman sure appreciate the advice.  I actually quite astute and have been watching some videos.  My biggest issue is setting the IMU.  I can't seem to get it to engage for set up.  I have updated the firmware and until I plugged my iphone 7 in, the yellow/red alternating light never occurred.  That is, so long as I used the ipad mini 4 not alternating lights.  I'm going out to use the mini 4 now just to see if the problem goes away.  I will get the box out and pull the manual from the box.  Thanks for that suggestion too.
2017-9-18
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
United States

alternating yellow and red means compass needs to be calibrated. Have you done the "compass calibration dance". And you shouldn't have to do it every time, but some pilots do suggest it, just to be safe.

the IMU warning is flashing red only.

take a look on page 12 of the digital user manual.
2017-9-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Herr Doctor, the manual is not in the box.  Follow the link provided above.  
2017-9-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-18 09:25
Thanks @Locoman sure appreciate the advice.  I actually quite astute and have been watching some videos.  My biggest issue is setting the IMU.  I can't seem to get it to engage for set up.  I have updated the firmware and until I plugged my iphone 7 in, the yellow/red alternating light never occurred.  That is, so long as I used the ipad mini 4 not alternating lights.  I'm going out to use the mini 4 now just to see if the problem goes away.  I will get the box out and pull the manual from the box.  Thanks for that suggestion too.

If I remember correctly, there is only a quick start manual in the box.  Download the latest version of the real manual, print it out, and read it cover to cover a few times (literally).  There's a lot to be learned in there.
2017-9-18
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-9-18 10:14
If I remember correctly, there is only a quick start manual in the box.  Download the latest version of the real manual, print it out, and read it cover to cover a few times (literally).  There's a lot to be learned in there.

I'd watched several videos on out of the box and set up from different posters on youtube months before I purchased the device then watched them all again several times before actually setting mine up.  It's not a toy that I know and it takes lots of thinking.  I just want to get the imu set and can't seem to get it to engage and wondered if that's what the yellow/red flashing was.
2017-9-18
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-18 10:25
I'd watched several videos on out of the box and set up from different posters on youtube months before I purchased the device then watched them all again several times before actually setting mine up.  It's not a toy that I know and it takes lots of thinking.  I just want to get the imu set and can't seem to get it to engage and wondered if that's what the yellow/red flashing was.

You are simply not making any effort to find the information yourself, but you want the forum members to do the job for you.
Why do you need to set up the IMU?

DJI provides many tutorial videos to help users solve problems themselves.
You obviously didn't bother to find this DJI tutorial:

2017-9-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

We need more information why do you need to setup your IMU did the app ask you to is your aircraft flying erotic? We need more information why do you need to setup your IMU did the app ask you to? is your aircraft flying erratic? Otherwise there's really no need To calibrate it. If you look on youtube is plenty of tutorial videos on how to calibrate also in the manual you will find out what those lights sequences mean pretty sure you need a compass cal. If you do calibrate it don't do the calibration near any metal or near any magnetic interferences go to an open field
2017-9-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Haha good God talk to text I hope your aircraft isnt flying erotic.. can't figure out how to edit on my mobile
2017-9-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-18 10:25

I don't know what the meaning of that pattern is with the light.  I don't have the manual with me.  But in the manual, you should find a place that tells what the various patterns and colors mean.  Please read it.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the answers above and I am so happy to know that there are lots of pilots will read the manual before actually fly the drone.
And for the OP, you can refer to the manual at page 12 for learning more about the drone indicator light.
2017-9-18
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
United States

evidentiality you did NOT read my post #8
2017-9-19
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-18 08:13

I'm gonna go out on limb here... but I believe his 'title' is in reference to the classic radio DJ of the '70s...  Which would not be a doctor that reads manuals. More like take to the ol' adage.. "real men don't need instructions."

An exert from a google search;
"The Dr. Demento Show began in 1970 as a rock 'n' roll and oldies radio program that featured B-sides, rarities and other nuggets. But it was zany songs like Sheb Wooley's "The Purple People Eater," Barnes & Barnes' "Fish Heads" and Elmo & Patsy's "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" that caught the public's ear."
2017-9-19
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

BluesDragon Posted at 2017-9-19 10:27
I'm gonna go out on limb here... but I believe his 'title' is in reference to the classic radio DJ of the '70s...  Which would not be a doctor that reads manuals. More like take to the ol' adage.. "real men don't need instructions."

The OP calls himself DrDimento not Dr. Demento.
2017-9-19
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-19 11:09
The OP calls himself DrDimento not Dr. Demento.

True, but maybe the good doctor's spelling skills are just as good as his manual reading skills.
2017-9-19
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-19 11:32
True, but maybe the good doctor's spelling skills are just as good as his manual reading skills.

I read you loud and clear...
2017-9-19
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-18 10:45
You are simply not making any effort to find the information yourself, but you want the forum members to do the job for you.

Thank you so kindly for that video.  Did it.  Appreciate the kind input.
2017-9-20
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-18 12:30
We need more information why do you need to setup your IMU did the app ask you to is your aircraft flying erotic? We need more information why do you need to setup your IMU did the app ask you to? is your aircraft flying erratic? Otherwise there's really no need To calibrate it. If you look on youtube is plenty of tutorial videos on how to calibrate also in the manual you will find out what those lights sequences mean pretty sure you need a compass cal. If you do calibrate it don't do the calibration near any metal or near any magnetic interferences go to an open field

Thank you for your kind response.  In the beginners video, it said that even if the IMU said it was "normal" to go ahead and calibrate it anyway since  there could be an issue and it doesn't hurt and can help.  So, I wanted to do so.  Just didn't realize that the IMU was under sensors.

Took my first long flight after the IMU calibration and according I wanted to reduce my chance of a "fly away."  On that first long trip, I was with a friend to help me recognize the surroundings and since he was there, he instructed that there were high wires and upon moving back some, we realized that the wires were only about 50 to 100 feet from the Mavic.  I had intended to keep going and would have flown right between the top wire and the next two below it, and who knows how close to each, respectively.  OUCH !!
2017-9-20
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 21:12
Thanks for the answers above and I am so happy to know that there are lots of pilots will read the manual before actually fly the drone.
And for the OP, you can refer to the manual at page 12 for learning more about the drone indicator light.

Thank you and will do so.  Even after IMU calibration, I've had the alternating yellow/red and although such flashing didn't seem to affect the performance of the unit, I looked it up as you indicated and...

Fast Alternating red and yellow flashing = Compass Calibration Required

I had changed the battery and thus, hadn't re-calibrated the compass.  Didn't realize it had to be done each time the battery was changed.
2017-9-20
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

BluesDragon Posted at 2017-9-19 10:27

You are so right @BluesDragon.  I remember Dirty Dragon in Chicago . . any relation?  hehe

On the upside, the Dr D show was an awesome experience and it's true, "Real mean don't need instructions, just a bigger hammer."

And @MARSAN is right, I'm Dimento, as in in the DJ who interviewed many a celebrity and just used a "take" on the same name as like so many others of us who listened to the show, I too played the B side of every new record, since I already knew the "hit side"   Like 'Schlock Rod" (one of my favs)  on the flip side of Jan & Dean's biggie . . which is ??
2017-9-20
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-9-19 01:50
evidentiality you did NOT read my post #8

I did but had been busy with a "start up" biz with a dear friend which the Chinese investors were in town for a couple days and hadn't had a chance to respond.  My apologies.  
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-20 08:30
Thank you and will do so.  Even after IMU calibration, I've had the alternating yellow/red and although such flashing didn't seem to affect the performance of the unit, I looked it up as you indicated and...

Fast Alternating red and yellow flashing = Compass Calibration Required

You can also check the app, it will also remind you to do the calibration when it needs.
2017-9-21
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
United States

DrDimento Posted at 2017-9-20 08:38
I did but had been busy with a "start up" biz with a dear friend which the Chinese investors were in town for a couple days and hadn't had a chance to respond.  My apologies.

No apology necessary. Work happens, unfortunately it gets in the way of our fun. Thanks for the response.
2017-9-21
Use props
DrDimento
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE . . . I find myself learning more each day and have now logged about 6 hours worth of flight time and unlike RC airplanes, I find that the Mavic doesn't last longer than me.  The RC's can have me looking for a place to sit while the Mavic, I can just stop it and move around or sit down or have it fly with me as I walk.  Love it.  Just want to learn more and more to find out how I'm going to use it in my video works.
2017-9-21
Use props
djiuser_5TzgG5MREiEF
New

United States

I have a mavic mini but my phone is not compatible. I have a LG K40 and I meet all the specs required other then then phone itself. The google play store states that my device is not compatible and the APK doesn't install either. Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve going out any getting a compatible phone?
2021-1-6
Use props
fans0d49d13e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 463832 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, pretty rude comment to someone who is just asking a simple question, you must just be a natural and took a 3 mile flight right of the box
2022-2-22
Use props
fans0d49d13e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 463832 ft
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-18 10:45

you don`t need to do an imu and can't out in the middle of the field, you want to do it on a level surface, now how are you going to do that, do it on your kitchen table with it folded up, you`ll be fine, i guess the seasoned pilots have a different approach, i work on them 7 days a week..any other thing you need, let me know, i`ll help ya..
2022-2-22
Use props
AeroMechAZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42497 ft

United States

OK, @Irate Retro, I have the same problem, but I can't do a compass calibration, because even though the aircraft connects to the RC, it's not connecting to the app (either the DJI Go 4 or the Litchi app and I get no video feed from the camera on either one, even though I'm able to control the gimbal with the RC wheel.
I do, however get telemetry on the RC from the motors, as well as altitude and distance.
2022-4-6
Use props
djiuser_pTY767P86JZN
New

United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-18 08:13
Just a fyi Doctor Dimento is a old school radio dj, Nothing more.
2022-6-27
Use props
Dale Paladin
New

United States

It's been quite a while since this original question was raised, but what's amazing is that despite the passage of much time, the level of assaniness of those responding remains at a record-breaking High to this day! Those of you who started off immediately attacking the person who posted the question makes athletes like me glad that I shoved a lot of you into lockers! And I hope that I could do so again if ever we meet. Because people like you are so pathetic that you shouldn't be out amongst real people and real men!

2023-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules