DJI Spark Europe
3453 17 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_SPARK_UK
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Guys, I love my spark, but you have to improve the range and signal quality of this thing or I'm taking it back to the shop within the 30 day returns policy I have.
I realise you've had to reduce the power ourput for Europe and that is probably the bottom line, but maybe you can provide uprated antennas or something.

The thing is a far greater danger due to the low power output becuae of the number of times I lost video and signal feed at a range I do not expect too.

it such shame as I am loving the small size, portablity, but the bottom line at present is the drone isn't flying far enough, and its signal isn't relaiable enough at even sub 100m distances.  Combined with a fairly frequnent gimbal twitch I am starting to feel the initial charms of this drone are wearing off fast.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI_SPARK_UK
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I just realized a new version of DJI go is out which came out last 24 hours which claims to improve things in this department so I look forward to trying it out and will report back here.
I really want to keep this thing.
2017-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI_SPARK_UK Posted at 2017-9-18 08:45
I just realized a new version of DJI go is out which came out last 24 hours which claims to improve things in this department so I look forward to trying it out and will report back here.
I really want to keep this thing.

Those antennas signal boosters you can buy for €5 they do work sometimes, but dji won't sell you anything to modify your spark particularly to fly further.
2017-9-18
Use props
Enri
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683501 ft
Italy

Sold mine today...it's a toy....
2017-9-18
Use props
kail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67969 ft
Greece

The same problem acourt and after the update of the application to version 4.1.10 on IOS (iPhone) 17 Sep 2017. In my device the problem is worse after 27m high the device lost the signal
2017-9-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Too bad. Hope there will be a fix
2017-9-18
Use props
kail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67969 ft
Greece

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-18 10:39
Too bad. Hope there will be a fix

we must wait also for the update for the dji spark to version  v01.00.0608
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI_SPARK_UK
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Oh well after the update (which was supposed to improve things) its now reduced the range even more, I am now getting 200m less than I was before which was a place I used for distance testing with great conditions.  

I had done the distance test 3 times over last 4 days (inc 3 hours ago just before I made this post), it was the same range every time (inc today), today after the update its now breaking up 200m before that, which means its now even worse than it was before I made the post.

I used the OTG cable.
A powerful iphone (which i bought for this drone).
And a parabolic antenna.
Great conditions with clear line of sight and flying at 50m altitude.

I give it every chance.

I could have coped with the 2 axis gimbal, modest bitrate, occassional gimbal twitch and even the relative (£700) high cost for all of that.
But I can'tbe dealing with poor long range, and inconsistent short range.

I have had more disconnects in the last week using this thing than I have for 30 months on my Inspire 1.

Big Shame.  £700 is not toy money, while you did many great thins with this drone, its failed on something which is a deal breaker for me.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI_SPARK_UK
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have decided to wait until the next firmware update, providing it comes out in the next 2 weeks as I have been told just the go app update alone might not get the best out of it.
Last chance DJI.
2017-9-18
Use props
Johan97
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37201217 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Well, this is what you get if you configure your Spark correctly:

https://youtu.be/rdIUrhBIGYM

I do not know if you expect more than this, if so you need to go for a more powerful bird.
Cheers!!
2017-9-23
Use props
Johan97
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI_SPARK_UK Posted at 2017-9-18 14:13
I have decided to wait until the next firmware update, providing it comes out in the next 2 weeks as I have been told just the go app update alone might not get the best out of it.
Last chance DJI.

The link again for the post above.

2017-9-23
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Quite impressive!
2017-9-23
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Johan97..... what kind of configuration can be done to get that range. Please specify.
2017-9-23
Use props
Johan97
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-9-23 18:24
Johan97..... what kind of configuration can be done to get that range. Please specify.

1. Make sure RC and AC are connected with 2,4 gHz (5.8 gHz is default and you need to change manually for each flight)
2. Select the channel with the least interference
3. Use OTG cable/connection between RC and Phone/Tablet (im not sure if this actually affects the range, but do not seem to affect it negativly anyway)
4. User IOS device for better live video feed (not sure that this is correct for all Android alternatives, but it is for the ones i have tried)
...and regardless of the above configuration: Do not expect ranges over 500-600 meters unless you fly with unobstructed LOS and low interference
Cheers !!
2017-9-23
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

DJI_SPARK_UK Posted at 2017-9-18 11:24
Oh well after the update (which was supposed to improve things) its now reduced the range even more, I am now getting 200m less than I was before which was a place I used for distance testing with great conditions.  

I had done the distance test 3 times over last 4 days (inc 3 hours ago just before I made this post), it was the same range every time (inc today), today after the update its now breaking up 200m before that, which means its now even worse than it was before I made the post.

The issue is, you are using the OTG cable. Flight range has now been limited whilst the cable is connected.
2017-9-23
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

jksphoto Posted at 2017-9-23 22:50
The issue is, you are using the OTG cable. Flight range has now been limited whilst the cable is connected.

What?? Why? That makes no sense. What does one have to do with the other?
2017-9-24
Use props
Pez942
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166512 ft
United Kingdom

Here in the UK I just flew my spark 800+m at 65m height with clear line of sight in an open area. No dropped video and it was only me that decided to stop and not the spark so I am sure I could have got further. Like you my spark set up is completely standard. I set it to 2.4ghz with NO OTG and on an iPhone. All the latest updates done (including ios11). I think the main issue is how easily the spark is effected by interference. I have had it struggle at just over 100m before, but in the right conditions it does have fantastic range.
2017-9-24
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-9-24 03:37
What?? Why? That makes no sense. What does one have to do with the other?

Try it. Set the Spark up with and without the cable. Check your max flight distance.
2017-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules