Practical use of intelligent flight modes
710 3 2017-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb113793c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117116 ft
United States

I don't have tons of flying experience, but I found flights modes are not that intuitive when one tries to put them in practical use.
So I went to a park, and spend some time trying to use them different way and relate to footage seen. To narrow down from "unlimited possibilities" to simply "follow me"

I made a google document for anyone to comment and add suggest edits. So far it is simple as that:

Active Tracking
Typical use:
(1) Mavic is circling around the subject automatically at constant speed.
        (2) Mavic is tracking the subject and circling manually

Controls working: Some yaw and some camera tilt to frame the subject. Mavic keeps the subject tracked keeping the frame set.
        Roll - circles the subject, resumes automatic circling after letting go.

Notes: different from profile - if controls left alone, Mavic would trail the subject, keep the distance but fall trailing behind

Profile:
Typical use:
(1) Mavic is tracking moving subject from behind, ahead or a side.
(2) Mavic is circling the subject manually exactly as with Active tracking.

Controls working: same as active tracking

Notes: (1) When pitching (close up fall back), Mavic stops from moving with the subject. It still tracks the subject, only by rotating. (If you have Mavic on your side while moving, and start to close up/fall back, it will start trailing behind you while still keeping you framed.)
        (2) Speed Priority slider -WTF is that?

Spotlight:
        Typical use:
(1) Keep Mavic stationary while moving around it
(2) Fly in straight line single direction, while the subject is moving around while travelling same direction

Controls working: Yaw/Tilt same as active tracking
Pitch/Roll: Full control as in course lock mode

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G5WfW_Q6mDo6HTZz-0TreMeAj3GC82TjGUQoMJUbC9M/edit?usp=sharing

2017-9-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for your work!
2017-9-18
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Here's another one to play with - Tripod mode.  While the manual touts it for "dumbing down" the controls to give nice slow moves while shooting videos, another fellow posted that he uses it when flying in really tight places.  Because it limits sudden moves, it's good for manuevering around things that are close to your quad.   I agree - you can use it when flying low among obstacles.  Hope you get a chance to practice with that one.
2017-9-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-9-18 16:22
Here's another one to play with - Tripod mode.  While the manual touts it for "dumbing down" the controls to give nice slow moves while shooting videos, another fellow posted that he uses it when flying in really tight places.  Because it limits sudden moves, it's good for manuevering around things that are close to your quad.   I agree - you can use it when flying low among obstacles.  Hope you get a chance to practice with that one.

I have seen some great tripod footage indeed here!
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules