Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass calibration longevitiy
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

After nearly a year of flying quite often, usually within 50 miles of home, my Phantom would not track a straight line yesterday.  So, I calibrated the compass and everything was fine after that.  The last calibration lasted nearly a year with no issues.  I live in a remote area, and the places I fly are also not developed at all, so I don't get much in the way of electromagnetic interference.  Still, I thought it was a remarkable stretch of time to go without calibration.  In addition, I have not needed to calibrated the IMU in probably 6 or 8 months.  I expect others will have different results, but this illustrates what is possible.  I have had that particular Phantom for 2 years, so it is getting a bit aged.  I'm still quite happy with it.

2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing with us your experience. Wish you have a great time on flying the drone.
2017-9-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Normally I only recalibrate my compass after firmware updates.

I like to do the IMU and Gimbal first, then take the drone out of doors and do the compass drone dance.

I haven't traveled with my drone, over two hundred kilometers from home, to let that be of a calibration concern, otherwise.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-18
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Are you sure that you didn't take off from near some iron yesterday?
Or maybe the aircraft has been modified or repaired before yesterdays flight?
Or maybe the aircraft has been near some big magnets?
2017-9-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

A perfect example of why sometimes less is better.
2017-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules