MAVIC BAD FOCUS ISSUE, HERE ARE THE PICTURES YOU ASKED!
2518 8 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Dear DJI, unfortunately I have to write on this forum for the third time.

I bought a Mavic Pro in mid June and ever since the first use I noticed a slight defocus issue on the left side of the frame. It is impossible to achieve a sharp image across the entire frame: either the center or the left side of frame is in focus, not both at the same time!
I did some research on the internet and found out that it is a common issue with the Mavic series, some people have some issues with the left side, some with the right.

Despite that problem I thought I would ask DJI later and decided not to report it to customer service as I was going to travel few days after I received the drone. Except for this focus issue the drone performed well until mid July.

Here we come to the main problem: the OA sensors as well as the VPS sensors suddenly stopped working overnight with no apparent reason, the last time everything worked properly was on the 14th of July; three days later every sensor on the drone stopped working. I never crashed the drone, never had a hard landing, I always took extreme care of it.

I did every possible software test within the DJI go app to make sure it was not a software related issue, it is also worth noticing that DJI go app does not give any warning error at all. I also used DJI assistant 2 on three different computers, I reset the Mavic and the RC to their factory settings, downgrade and re-update the firmware, tried the calibration but never managed to start it because no sensor was detected.

Dear DJI, I love your products and have been your customer for more than two years but I must admit I am not only disappointed for having all this troubles a month after my purchase but I am also concerned about sending my drone back for repairs: I didn't have a good experience with that in the past, there seems not to be a good quality control on the units you send back from repairs, usually people complain about it. I personally received a faulty unit back from repairs and I had to send it back straight away one more time.

I need to ask you to send me back the same unit (serial number) I will send for repairs. My drone is two months old and I don't want a replacement unit, that is usually an older one.
What I am asking you is to take your time to fix my own unit and please triple check that everything, especially the focus issue, works properly bofore sending it back to me.
Please don't send me an other unit with another issue.

focus_on_centre2.jpg
focus_on_left2.jpg
2017-9-17
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

In relation to the foscus issue, are you using manual focus or Auto focus?
How do you know that OA and VPS are not working?
2017-9-17
Use props
itsjustme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Known issue with mavic cameras. Don't let others tell you otherwise . Those who say they have no issues are likely not looking close enough.
I've had the same focus issues from day one. I bought my mavic in January. There were some theories about the camera sensor not aligned properly behind the camera lens causing this issue.
2017-9-17
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

itsjustme Posted at 2017-9-17 17:59
Known issue with mavic cameras. Don't let others tell you otherwise . Those who say they have no issues are likely not looking close enough.
I've had the same focus issues from day one. I bought my mavic in January. There were some theories about the camera sensor not aligned properly behind the camera lens causing this issue.

" Those who say they have no issues are likely not looking close enough. " GOOD POINT !

Hope DJI solved the problem in the next generation of Mavic with a better video/ picture quality and frame rates.  
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, could you please provide us some original photos from the SD card, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here so we could check more about the focus question?
And for Obstacle Avoidance and Vision Positioning System, have you checked the settings about them? Please make sure that they are all enabled. Please check if you had removed the thin film or is there a dirt on the sensor, and could you please provide us a screenshot when you attempt to calibrate the VPS?  
Sometimes we will deliver a replacement if the drone could be repaired. But please don't worry about that, we will test the performance of the drone before it is shipped.
It makes us felt regretful for your previous experience with our service, we are always trying to improve. Thanks for your kindness.
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

itsjustme Posted at 2017-9-17 17:59

Had you reported your case to our support team? The issue has yet addressed, right? Could you please also provide the original pictures from the SD card so we can check more? Appreciate your assistance.
2017-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

that's about the quality i get...  use manual focus if you are using cinematic or tripod shots with the drone's modes.. i found that will give you a better overall even focus across the sensor.  autofocus basically snapping to closest thing you tapped on by contrast lock..

what i will say is if you are that concerned about pixel peeping and doing 100% crop in in post edits.. neither mavic nor the phantom 4 pro are going to fit your bill..    you will be having to look at a inspire 2 pro with X5S raw camera and use your own lenses (have to use smalller lenses like for sony mirrorless and stuff, like kit 16-50mm or 24-70mm)

2017-9-17
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-17 18:54
Hi, could you please provide us some original photos from the SD card, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here so we could check more about the focus question?
And for Obstacle Avoidance and Vision Positioning System, have you checked the settings about them? Please make sure that they are all enabled. Please check if you had removed the thin film or is there a dirt on the sensor, and could you please provide us a screenshot when you attempt to calibrate the VPS?  
Sometimes we will deliver a replacement if the drone could be repaired. But please don't worry about that, we will test the performance of the drone before it is shipped.

Hello DJI Thor,

of course I spent some time trying to figure what issue was causing the sensors not to work. the thin film is removed and every sensor is enabled in the app. As I said in the original post all the sensors on the Mavic stopped working from one day to another. I'll post some original photos from the sd card as soon as I go back home. The focus issue is very common with the Mavic series and I would like to have it fix because I came across some few lucky people who are not experiencing this issue. I have not reported my case to the support team because I would like you to assure me I could get the same drone back instead of a replacement. I have no rush in having it repaired, why should not it be possible? Please keep me posted.
2017-9-18
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-17 18:54

DJI Thor,

the maximum size for an attached picture is 1mb here on the forum.
How am i supposed to send you the original files straight out of camera?  They weigh too much.
Please let me know.

Hope you have had a look at the examples I posted in the meanwhile.

Ruggero
2017-9-18
Use props
DronePix
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765469 ft
Australia

It seem sensor alignment problem, I hope that DJI will help you to get it fixed. I have the same problem with my P3A which the sensor was not aligned, and out of focus. Good luck.
2017-9-18
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Here is the link to some DNG files.    http://sndt.gl/Nk90s63h0Lug0
2017-9-18
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Following up on my thread about the issue with the focus and sensors on the Mavic here are some picture to show what the focus issue looks like.

"DJI Thor" here are the original pictures straight from the SD card that you asked me about: http://sndt.gl/Nk90s63h0Lug0

As I already said in this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;page=1#pid961136

the main issue is not the focus but the sensors: both the OA as well as the VPS sensors suddenly stopped working overnight.

No one seems to reply anymore to that thread, please read it and help me DJI!

2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Ruggero Posted at 2017-9-18 12:06
Here is the link to some DNG files.    http://sndt.gl/Nk90s63h0Lug0

Sorry for the late reply. I had forwarded the details to the engineers to look into. Will get back to you once I heard from them. And for the repair issue, I had explained, we need to assess when we received the drone. It could be a replacement, but I can not do any promises at the moment. Hope your kind understanding.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Had replied on your original post, please check. And for the sensor issue, I couldn't find the screenshot of the interface of the calibration. Could you please help to check and provide me with the screenshot for a better confirmation? Thank you so much.
2017-9-19
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-19 04:35
Had replied on your original post, please check. And for the sensor issue, I couldn't find the screenshot of the interface of the calibration. Could you please help to check and provide me with the screenshot for a better confirmation? Thank you so much.

Hey DJI Thor,

I tried doing the calibration in Italy, in my own town; now I am in London and I do not have access to my computer unfortunately. I won't be able to send you the screenshot you want but believe me when I say I know how the calibration process work. I have already done it in the past for other drones. This time it does not start, it does not detect any sensor, the button to start is greyed out and I get a "reboot aircraft" message every 1 minute. I need to send it back for repairs, I just wrote on the forum to make sure you could put the necessary remarks on my case when it get processed by the repair team.
As for the replacement unit, I understand that you can not promise me anything but would it be possible  to get at least a replacement unit of similar age instead of an old one?
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Ruggero Posted at 2017-9-19 05:13
Hey DJI Thor,

I tried doing the calibration in Italy, in my own town; now I am in London and I do not have access to my computer unfortunately. I won't be able to send you the screenshot you want but believe me when I say I know how the calibration process work. I have already done it in the past for other drones. This time it does not start, it does not detect any sensor, the button to start is greyed out and I get a "reboot aircraft" message every 1 minute. I need to send it back for repairs, I just wrote on the forum to make sure you could put the necessary remarks on my case when it get processed by the repair team.

Had you sent the drone in? You can provide me with your case number, I'll forward your need to the designated team. But again, I personally can not promise you that since we need to evaluate when the drone comes. Thanks for your kind understanding.
2017-9-19
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-19 21:19
Had you sent the drone in? You can provide me with your case number, I'll forward your need to the designated team. But again, I personally can not promise you that since we need to evaluate when the drone comes. Thanks for your kind understanding.

Hi DJI Thor,
I'll request a new Case number this morning and will let you know as soon as I receive it.
Will keep you posted here.
2017-9-19
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-19 21:19

Hi DJI Thor,

here is my case number: CAS-1017763-G6S0P0

It is strange that I have not received a confirmation email with my case number yet, it is usually immediately sent for records. any idea?
In the meanwhile I'll wait for an email with the UPS label.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Ruggero Posted at 2017-9-20 02:38
Hi DJI Thor,

here is my case number: CAS-1017763-G6S0P0

Had you checked your spam? I found that the shipping label had sent, please take a look at your email box. Let me know if you haven't received it. And I had also forwarded your need to the related team to look into. Hope you can get your drone back to the air soon.
2017-9-21
Use props
Ruggero
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-21 01:19
Had you checked your spam? I found that the shipping label had sent, please take a look at your email box. Let me know if you haven't received it. And I had also forwarded your need to the related team to look into. Hope you can get your drone back to the air soon.

Thanks DJI Thor, I received the confirmation email and the drone has been delivered to the UPS courier.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Ruggero Posted at 2017-9-21 09:01
Thanks DJI Thor, I received the confirmation email and the drone has been delivered to the UPS courier.

You are welcome. Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.
2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules