Low level p4
1943 24 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 436152 ft
United Kingdom

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 3 entry optional ), Total 16 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

21.74% (5)
17.39% (4)
17.39% (4)
17.39% (4)
0.00% (0)
13.04% (3)
4.35% (1)
8.70% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-9-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Almost fish bait.
2017-9-19
Use props
Jonboy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ha Ha i will excuse the pun but no fish in the canal
2017-9-19
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Most likely, the place you took off from has steel piles to strengthen and waterproof the bank and once you where out of their magnetic field the compass lost accuracy.  If the water is higher than the land on that side then it is very likely.

Other possibilities are an iron mooring ring or a steel lined fishing platform, etc., etc.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Did the accident happen to your drone? Have you contacted the support to report it? Data analysis is recommended to check the exact reason.
2017-9-20
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

The water was flat (mirror like) which confused the bottom sensors. As the confusion set in, the drone reacted and as the drone lowered and the prop wash rippled the water and sensors now detected contrast and the drone rose. The water became flat again which confused the bottom sensors again. The drone said "enough" and quickly tried to land itself before you had the chance to drown it!
2017-9-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I believe it's recommended to disable the VP sensors when you're gonna fly over water, isn't it?  
2017-9-20
Use props
Jonboy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-20 02:09
I believe it's recommended to disable the VP sensors when you're gonna fly over water, isn't it?

Yes so they say but have flown low level over lakes with inspire - phantom 3 and 4 with sensors on never been a problem until this one over a canal.
2017-9-20
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

If you don't know the cause, the log files would probably help to validate or rule out some of the possibilities, upload to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/
2017-9-20
Use props
Jonboy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-9-20 01:50
The water was flat (mirror like) which confused the bottom sensors. As the confusion set in, the drone reacted and as the drone lowered and the prop wash rippled the water and sensors now detected contrast and the drone rose. The water became flat again which confused the bottom sensors again. The drone said "screw this" and quickly tried to land itself before you had the chance to drown it!

100% right  you got it Hope others can recognize this. No flight data logs needed :-)
2017-9-20
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Jonboy Posted at 2017-9-20 06:12
100% right  you got it Hope others can recognize this. No flight data logs needed :-)

That can explain the poor positional hold initially, but I don't see how it explains the crash, it was not over the water when it crashed...

But the logs would help to confirm it, or discredit the theory...

Is this with the original or new P4 firmware, or a beta?
2017-9-20
Use props
Jonboy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-20 06:28
That can explain the poor positional hold initially, but I don't see how it explains the crash, it was not over the water when it crashed...

But the logs would help to confirm it, or discredit the theory...

New Firmware. not just a crash but no control after intial hover. Flew again in new location no probs.
2017-9-20
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

I once flew over water which had circular expanding ripples. My P4 shot up in the air (trying to keep the gaps between the ripples the same, thinking that would maintain same height?) which was unfortunate (but not fatal) as it was flying under overhanging branches!

2017-9-20
Use props
Jonboy
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Simon Child Posted at 2017-9-20 07:45
I once flew over water which had circular expanding ripples. My P4 shot up in the air (trying to keep the gaps between the ripples the same, thinking that would maintain same height?) which was unfortunate (but not fatal) as it was flying under overhanging branches!

Interesting stuff am just uploading new vid to show all is ok still with p4
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

The water was flat (mirror like) which confused the bottom sensors. As the confusion set in, the drone reacted and as the drone lowered and the prop wash rippled the water and sensors now detected contrast and the drone rose. The water became flat again which confused the bottom sensors again. The drone said "screw this" and quickly tried to land itself before you had the chance to drown it!

When you fly over water bottom sensors most certainly are part of the equation. It's a reason why flying over water carries risk.
2017-9-20
Use props
guardcim23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 685374 ft
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-20 09:56
When you fly over water bottom sensors most certainly are part of the equation. It's a reason why flying over water carries risk.

You should use your drone for fishing
2017-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That looks very much like compass error magnetic declination. Can you put up flight log link below.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-9-20
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Keep us posted after log analysis ...
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You got a Symbian, for saying "s crew t his"...

Tough break. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

All the guessing is pure speculation, until you post the logs to Phantomhelp, the actual cause will not be known. However in most cases where the pilot reports loss of control, the aircraft is actually in ATTI mode.
2017-9-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

When an airliner crashes, the investigators don't just sit around and list things that can make planes crash.
They look at actual flight data to see what happened.
Without looking at actual flight data, this whole thread is just people guessing and most/all are probably quite wrong.
If you want to find out what really happened, you are wasting your time until you look into the data.
2017-9-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-21 19:49
When an airliner crashes, the investigators don't just sit around and list things that can make planes crash.
Without looking at actual flight data, this whole thread is just people guessing and most/all are probably quite wrong.

I love watching vids of the drone flying over water, but fear that place, myself.

Thankfully, I don't live near the Pacific Ocean anymore. But I still miss it, 30 plus years later...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-21
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-21 19:49

Yes, this could be a learning experience for us all, but without looking at the data it is a missed opportunity.

The initial movement could be consistent with vision system issues but the crash doesn't match any vision system issue I can remember seeing in the past.

The crash does match compass issues and since this was a canal there is a good chance of a huge lump of ancient cast iron buried near the take off point and there is also a very good chance of modern steel bank reinforcement/waterproofing buried in the middle of the bank, both of which could cause a magnetic field related crash.

Without the data we will never know what caused the crash.
2017-9-22
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-20 09:56

I guess some just have to live and learn
2017-9-22
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Heh... maybe the decimal point was in the wrong place on your RTH altitude.
2017-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules