DJI Inspire 2 loose motor
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Erwin Kats
lvl.2
Netherlands

Dear forum members,

Again a little story about my drone quest.
5 months ago i started my drone journey with the DJI Mavic Pro, great drone, great footage for its camera.
Too bad, i had jello effect i received great support from DJI, they replaced the unit within a short amount of time and everything worked perfect.

As a professional photographer i wanted better image quality, so i stepped the drone game up to the Phantom 4 Pro in just a few weeks.
Again great image quality for its camera, but this drone had a 20 minute flight time and the IMU became bricked becuase of the worldwide famous firmware update.

So, DJI told me they couldnt solve the problem in a short amount of time, so i had to return it to the store.
Well, the next step was the Inspire 2, after reading all horror stories i made the step to get that drone that does have engineering fault props, bad firmware as well and so on.

My Inspire 2 arrived two weeks ago, i am very carefully learning this drone becuase this thing is just epic compared to the Phantom and Mavic.
During my second 3D mapping session i had to swap batteries, drone came back landed the drone and before lift off i did a quick check of the drone and i found out 1 of the motors is loose.
Sure i contacted DJI Support, sure they want me to send in this drone, but where does this end?
For me its pure hobby at this time, but sending my €3k + drone into the air with these kind of flaws, and sending back a drone again, and again and again which does cost me time ( and believe me, time is money )(2 weeks old, 1 hour flight time, no hard landings and so on )

Add this to your pre flight check list, and if you see a burning I2 in the air then its mine because i am getting sick of this.

IMG_0010.PNG
2017-9-19
Use props
Erwin Kats
lvl.2
Netherlands

what does that picture do there.
2017-9-19
Use props
NW-flyer
New
United States

I feel your pain. My Phantom 1 and 2 never had any problems but lack the camera ability's that the inspire one has. In 2014 I purchased the Inspire One and it has cost me plenty with the many firmware issues.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Sending in the aircraft may be your best option. As you are getting an ESC calibration notification, you may want to make sure you are trying that as well.
2017-9-19
Use props
orion0007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 308642 ft
United States

Do you think this could have been caused buy loos fitting props? The Prop Locks on the motor looks pretty scared up.
2017-9-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Erwin,
Sorry for the issue you are experiencing! I would not fly your Inspire 2 like this and contact DJI for warranty repairs. Hard to say what the root cause of the problem is, however based on your video this could be a bad bearing.

DJI will help you get this sorted out.

All the best
Rich
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Erwin, I feel your pain too, we apologize for the unfortunate experience with our products. Like Mark mentioned, sending in is the best option at present, our repair team will take care of it. We will keep improving the quality of our products.
Besides, please leave us with the case number of Phantom 4 Pro, we will help to look into the status.
2017-9-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

That loose motor is a defect. Please send the craft in for a replacement. No need to post more.

As for IMU calibration, its not so much a problem with the Inspire 2 but with the Mavic or P4P, you MUST do it while the craft is cold. This is explained in many posts here and in other forums.
2017-9-20
Use props
Erwin Kats
lvl.2
Netherlands

NW-flyer, ouch!, what I experience with the I2 newest firmware seems to work ok, only the video downlink is a pain {:4_154:}

Mark, I already send him in ;)

orion0007, looks like a residu from production, I could wipe it of instant, it was on other parts as well!

The hanks RichJ53, I grounded the I2 since that moment, packed it up and have sent the drone in immediately.

Mindy, P4P already to repair through the store, not my problem anymore

Mike, the IMU calibration was for the P4P, seems like the image came into the post, I couldn't delete it

I understand the steps I need to take (this isn't the first time LOL),  as mentioned I already contacted DJI support and the drone is already at the repair center or still in transit.
Its a real disappointment, and if something happened with this in mid air I am sure people would have blamed the operator and then the story would have been another month of waiting.
2017-9-22
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

It's not surprising that motors and bearings are coming loose when the rotor blades flap around by more than 5mm due to the wobbly "quick release" blades and blade mounts.  
2017-12-6
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

These are the vibrations that can lead to the arm glue joint failure at temperature extremes.
2017-12-19
Use props
The Polymath
lvl.2
Flight distance : 644672 ft
United States

My inspire2 had the same loose motor upon arrival. Brand new machine, ordered from B&H.
I will not admit to making this fix myself so as to not void my DJI warranty... but... if you remove a couple small screws to gain access to the socket-head cap screws under the plastic. add a little Loctite 242 to the hardware holding the motor on, and reassemble it, you should be fine.
My inspire2 has been flying flawlessly since my hardware is now tight. Infuriating as it is for a machine at this price point and target market to have loose hardware or missing pieces, they are all built by a low paid individual just looking to go home for the day...

Aloha,
Brian
2018-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules