Blurry Live Feed in Photo Mode
592 11 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pg1
Flight distance : 1948225 ft
United States

Does anyone else get a blurry live feed from the Mavic only in photo mode?  After they're taken, photos look fine -- very sharp and in focus.  And the live feed in video mode (4K 24 fps) is sharp too.  But switch into photo mode and no amount of focusing will sharpen up the live feed.
Just curious.  Not a horrible, since the photos are fine, but not ideal.  And weird.

2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

This is normal. Because the sensor gives more data when in recording mode, so it would look sharper than photo mode, in fact, they are all 720p.
2017-9-19
Use props
pg1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-19 18:49
This is normal. Because the sensor gives more data when in recording mode, so it would look sharper than photo mode, in fact, they are all 720p.

But if the live feed for both modes is 720p, why don't the two different modes look about the same?

And my photos are 4000x3000.  Videos are "only" 4096x2160.  So the photos have more lines of resolution (taller) by a large margin.  Videos are only slightly wider.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

pg1 Posted at 2017-9-19 19:47
But if the live feed for both modes is 720p, why don't the two different modes look about the same?

And my photos are 4000x3000.  Videos are "only" 4096x2160.  So the photos have more lines of resolution (taller) by a large margin.  Videos are only slightly wider.

And I had mentioned above, the sensor will genera more data while recording, that's the logic.
2017-9-20
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

If the pictures recorded on the SD card are fine most likely it is a signal issue to the monitoring device, (What device are you using?) if it happens again check your HD signal in settings, maybe interference to the video signal? Just a thought.
2017-9-20
Use props
pg1
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-9-20 03:32
If the pictures recorded on the SD card are fine most likely it is a signal issue to the monitoring device, (What device are you using?) if it happens again check your HD signal in settings, maybe interference to the video signal? Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check the signal the next time I fly.

I'd really love to know what the experience is for other pilots.  Does anyone see a blurry live feed in photo mode?

The reason I ask is that I just got our Mavic replaced under warranty.  I had an issue with the gimbal and I thought they would just repair it, but I received a whole new drone.  And now I have this blurry feed in photo mode, which I don't THINK I had with my original Mavic, but I can't be sure.  I didn't spend much time in photo mode.  But I think if the live feed was this blurry on the original Mavic, then I would have noticed it, like I notice it now with the replacement.  So I'm wondering if I should send this one back too.
2017-9-20
Use props
pg1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-20 03:27
And I had mentioned above, the sensor will genera more data while recording, that's the logic.

But the resolution of the photos is actually higher than the resolution of the video (in lines of resolution and in total pixel count).  So it doesn't make sense that the photos would look blurry.  And as you pointed out, both are coming to the controller in a 720p feed, so they should look roughly the same.

DJI Thor:  I'm new here, but I see your an admin, so I'm guessing you fly lots of DJI drones, including the Mavic.  When you switch from video mode to photo mode, does the live feed look very blurry?

Thank you!
2017-9-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Can you provide screenshots of what you are experiencing? I haven't noticed any difference on my iPhone 7 other than field of view changes when it shifts from video to photo aspect ratio -- both look plenty sharp to me.
2017-9-20
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

pg1 Posted at 2017-9-20 06:52
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check the signal the next time I fly.

I'd really love to know what the experience is for other pilots.  Does anyone see a blurry live feed in photo mode?

Mine does something similar. This is my third Mavic and my previous two did not do this. The video feed looks great when recording video but as soon as I switch to photo mode the live feed almost looks a little cartoonish. It doesn't save that way to the SD card, only on the live feed both on my iPhone and my CrystalSky. It's annoying because I am relying on what I see in the live feed to try and adjust settings for the photo I'm taking. It was like this straight out of the box from DJI. But I just live with it rather than try to deal with DJI support...

NOTE: it is not a signal strength issue for me. This happens when my aircraft is 15 feet away with full signal strength.
2017-9-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-9-20 10:10
Mine does something similar. This is my third Mavic and my previous two did not do this. The video feed looks great when recording video but as soon as I switch to photo mode the live feed almost looks a little cartoonish. It doesn't save that way to the SD card, only on the live feed both on my iPhone and my CrystalSky. It's annoying because I am relying on what I see in the live feed to try and adjust settings for the photo I'm taking. It was like this straight out of the box from DJI. But I just live with it rather than try to deal with DJI support...

NOTE: it is not a signal strength issue for me. This happens when my aircraft is 15 feet away with full signal strength.

Have you tried resetting your camera?
2017-9-20
Use props
pg1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-20 10:31
Have you tried resetting your camera?

I haven't.  I'll try that next.  Thanks!
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI_camera
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

pg1 Posted at 2017-9-20 07:00
But the resolution of the photos is actually higher than the resolution of the video (in lines of resolution and in total pixel count).  So it doesn't make sense that the photos would look blurry.  And as you pointed out, both are coming to the controller in a 720p feed, so they should look roughly the same.

DJI Thor:  I'm new here, but I see your an admin, so I'm guessing you fly lots of DJI drones, including the Mavic.  When you switch from video mode to photo mode, does the live feed look very blurry?

A 720p video stream can come down from either a 4K raw or a 720p raw, which have very different sharpness. In photo live preview, the sensor works at a raw readout mode very different from still or video capture, like every ordinary camera (which often have much smaller EVF than our app display and the user can't determine if it's blurry).
2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules