2087 9 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Having completed an interesting official drone pilot licensing I became aware and think would be useful & interesting to have a list of apps and webpages with maps and pre-flight info about the NFZ in the world.I know there are many more in US and UK, sorry but I'm interested in worldwide information and will mention none referring to a single country.

There is a webpage : OPEN AIP
I also use AIRMAP app and/or AVIA Maps Aeronautical Charts app, both on Android.

The DJI map on DJI FLYSAFE / NO FLY I think is inconsistent and very imprecise as it lacks information and does not describe the exact boundaries of the Prohibited, Restricted, Dangerous and/or TSA zones (NFZ's).Not all are circle shapped, but very few of them...

A suggestion and also a plea for DJI, in one of your next firmware updates for P4P+ users (RC with native, built in screen) please consider and allow us to install ones of these applications. It would help a lot to, previously determine, on site and in areas without internet coverage, if we can fly or not and where.
The mere and simple text advice which is poping-up on the screen is insufficient as does not show where those areas ends or begin. It's no big deal to power on the drone in a new place and see or hear you are in a NFZ but is a huge difference to be able to see a map with the exact and precise boundaries of it.
If DJI struggles for a responsible use of drones and is controlling access through GEO(fencing) I agree and find it very fair but, at the same time they must allow us access on previous, accurate map information, which the actual RC screen of the P4P+ can't and doesn't.

Should you know or use any other apps or webpages, this list remains open to comments and suggestions.

Thanks to all.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I understand your concern and the request of installing other applications has been transferred to our engineers.
You can download the offline map or connect hotspot to get the more accurate information for now.
2017-9-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

While your idea is commendable, and your concerns about the subject is laudatory, be very careful what you ask for...you are likely to find that once you get it, it wont be what you think...a lot more depends on how things are implemented than their accuracy.  ...and I agree with you the accuracy as of now is lousy, to say the least.
Good luck with that...
2017-9-19
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-19 19:49
While your idea is commendable, and your concerns about the subject is laudatory, be very careful what you ask for...you are likely to find that once you get it, it wont be what you think...a lot more depends on how things are implemented than their accuracy.  ...and I agree with you the accuracy as of now is lousy, to say the least.
Good luck with that...

On one hand, new DJI software implementations can not be more restrictive than the airspace rules and laws inforce in each and every country today.It would be against the commercial common sense and would affect DJI sales.
At the same time, personally I think transparent laws and its 100% fulfillment are the only way to guarantee the future and feasibility of dronning as a hobby or leisure.
I don't mind to be "remotely" followed and my flights to be controlled or registered as long as I'm allowed to fly everywhere where actual laws allow me to do.
Afterwards this is an essential point of aviation today (safety and control) and all the other aircrafts do the same.
2017-9-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

15matjan Posted at 2017-9-20 00:55
On one hand, new DJI software implementations can not be more restrictive than the airspace rules and laws inforce in each and every country today.It would be against the commercial common sense and would affect DJI sales.
At the same time, personally I think transparent laws and its 100% fulfillment are the only way to guarantee the future and feasibility of dronning as a hobby or leisure.
I don't mind to be "remotely" followed and my flights to be controlled or registered as long as I'm allowed to fly everywhere where actual laws allow me to do.

That's nice, if only everything were treated the "same," it wont be, primarily because it cannot.  Do you then propose UAV operators now be equipped with UHF radios, you think a P4P is pricy wait until you get your wallet wrapped around a radio of that caliber.  Last I checked the PIC is in control of his aircraft, essentially, not any other entity and then and therefore the PIC must follow the rules of the sky.  I'm sure if you are all for turning over control though, the powers to be will be perfectly happy to oblige you.  I wish you the best in getting what you want.
2017-9-20
Use props
Alicatt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10971 ft
Belgium

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-19 19:44
I understand your concern and the request of installing other applications has been transferred to our engineers.
You can download the offline map or connect hotspot to get the more accurate information for now.

That would be helpful if I could, been trying all morning to download the offline map for the Netherlands and all I get is a message saying "Please wait"

I tried other locations too and still get "please wait"

I gave up trying after 4 hours. I tried with and without the AC and RC connected to my tablet (Archos Oxygen 101b) I have tried 2 different WiFi connections as well, my tablet has a GPS built in but it has no GSM function.
I have successfully downloaded the maps for Scotland and for Belgium but that was about a month ago I still have about 12GB of free space on the tablet's internal storage and 20GB on the SD card.
2017-9-20
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

http://www.skydemonlight.com/ is really good but it can be annoying to run. I can only use it in Internet Explorer. Worth it when you get the hang of it.
2017-9-20
Use props
James Whenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

I think DJI should leave the maps issue out of their system(s).  Installing third party applications into any system seems to always introduce compatibility problems , including malware, or viruses. I use a secondary system, (a tablet), to access other sources of info, such as B4UFLY, among others. NOTAMS are not the same from week to week, and those are followed for safety, but not feasible to be included on DJI equipment.
My P4P+ has performed very well in my flying, and it is up to me to monitor where and how I fly it on a daily basis.
2017-9-20
Use props
Blue Ridge Big
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82900 ft
United States

James Whenman Posted at 2017-9-20 05:29
I think DJI should leave the maps issue out of their system(s).  Installing third party applications into any system seems to always introduce compatibility problems , including malware, or viruses. I use a secondary system, (a tablet), to access other sources of info, such as B4UFLY, among others. NOTAMS are not the same from week to week, and those are followed for safety, but not feasible to be included on DJI equipment.
My P4P+ has performed very well in my flying, and it is up to me to monitor where and how I fly it on a daily basis.

I agree with James on this one. DJI does not need to be all things to all people. There are third party apps out there that do a better job of this. The B4U fly app does a decent job, and I use it often in the planning stages of a flight, when I am not at the actual site where I will be flying. When I get to where I am flying, I use Foreflight, because it will show your location on the sectional chart. The real time weather data is also indispensable. The app is free with a 30 day trial, and then an annual subscription after that. It is money well spent.

Case in point, over the weekend I wanted to fly at an outdoor concert venue close to GSO, and get some setup shots. Based on the venue address, B4U Fly said to proceed with caution. When I fired up my equipment, DJI Go4 said that I was near or in airspace that was Class C at the surface. With Foreflight I could tell that I was outside the Class C at the surface perimiter, Class G at the surface.  
2017-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi 15matjan your right for some countries it seems NFZ zones are not correct and need some work done to refine them, I think all posts and threads discussing the need for better implementation of proper NFZ zones are very important and worthy and I hope DJI are listening, it would be nice to get some clarification from DJI as to whether they are at present continuing to improve and correct where they are wrong regarding proper mapping for NFZ .
And yes it would be nice if we could find a way of getting precise up to date info on NFZ and something that will be able to cope with new NFZ that may be coming our way in the future.

Thank you for this thread..
2017-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules