ipad of........
1024 15 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryan1428
lvl.2
Turkey

Long story. Going shopping in the morning. Only get one shot a week. i have a choice of the full size ipad...not mini. Will I have trouble with this hardware? yes i have a tablet adapter.
2017-9-19
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49731 ft
Turkey

Ryan, its really hard to understand your question. But if you want to use an iPad with your Spark and asking for suggestions, I say go with a smaller iPad with cellular connectivity.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Ryan, it will work fine in Ipad air 2 and I would suggest you to use the device in the recommended list. Any question, please keep us updated.
list.PNG
2017-9-19
Use props
daveddo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158009 ft
United States

I just realized he intended the title to be, “iPad or...”
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

If your iPad is in the recommended devices list (Elektra posted the list in post 3 #), it should work fine with the Spark. But personally speaking, I think a full-size iPad is too large to the Spark, I would like to use my phone.
2017-9-20
Use props
ryan1428
lvl.2
Turkey

sorry....ipad or......?
just found out the ipad does not have gps. will this be a problem?
the tablet list goes by min performance and size for the spark. dont care about the size.... have the external adapter.
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ryan1428 Posted at 2017-9-20 14:08
sorry....ipad or......?
the tablet list goes by min performance and size for the spark. dont care about the size.... have the external adapter.

There will be at least one impact to functionality (but only you can decide if you need this functionality).  There is an option in the software to set home point to location of the controller.  This functionality in fact uses the GPS location of the device you are using to connect to the radio controller, and not the radio controller itself.  I see a couple of possibilities here:  One is that the go app may tell you that there isn't sufficient signal to set home point to rc location, and one possibility is that home point will be set to a location derived from the device (if it attempts to do so).  I don't know which will happen.  I do know that home point of rc location will not function as desired.

Whether or not this is a huge concern to you depends on how you fly.  If you set home point to craft location (or let it set by itself), and remain relatively immobile, then no biggie.  If you launch and then you yourself become mobile, then this may become a larger issue to you.
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ryan1428 Posted at 2017-9-20 14:08
sorry....ipad or......?

P.S.  My primary use case is boating.  This means that I am mobile and cannot rely on a safe return to home point when my boat might be drifting.  I rely on manually returning to home, and do not rely on home point of RC.  So where I have a strong need of using RC home point, I have an alternative to using RC home point (manual flight).

Once DJI comes out with the "mobile home point" functionality, I might change my flying habits.  For now I trust my ability to fly the craft to my boat manually, and less trust in my boat staying in a stationary location.
2017-9-20
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

I use a iPad Mini 4.  It seems to me about the perfect size for both my Spark and my Phantom Pro 4..  I also have a iPad Air 2 that I have used at it feels a little large.
2017-9-20
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It will work fine and no need for cellular connectivity.
2017-9-20
Use props
djiuser_l4ooIqL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-20 18:36
It will work fine and no need for cellular connectivity.

If you want to download sattelite maps you will need cellular.
2017-12-30
Use props
giaxxon
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_l4ooIqL Posted at 2017-12-30 15:48
If you want to download sattelite maps you will need cellular.

If you know where you'll be flying, you can cache maps(sort of) and it works great.
2017-12-30
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

giaxxon Posted at 2017-12-30 16:39
If you know where you'll be flying, you can cache maps(sort of) and it works great.

That's what I do
2017-12-30
Use props
djiuser_l4ooIqL
Second Officer
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-12-30 18:22
That's what I do

How do you cache maps?
2017-12-30
Use props
giaxxon
lvl.1
United States

On iOS open maps while you have wi-fi and look at the area you'll be flying at. If you want satellite switch to that, zoom all the way in and make sure to look at all of the area you want to fly and a bit more. Then just leave maps running in the background, don't turn off your ipad, and, when you go to fly, the Go app will use those maps.

In the field you can also use your cell phone as a hot spot to connect for a few minutes to get maps the same way.
2017-12-30
Use props
djiuser_l4ooIqL
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks! Will give it a go.
2017-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules