IMU Calibration Failed: Unknown Error at 2%
4590 13 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mricho
lvl.1
United States

After initial setup, I cannot get my drone off the ground. After getting activated and connected in the app, I am getting an error that IMU needs to be calibrated, it went to 28% and failed, and now only gets to 2% where it fails with "Unknown Error" every time. I've tried it in over a dozen locations, and have tried letting it cool completely before calibration.

Some things I suspect may have caused the issue:
1. While activating, and navigating through the app, a Firmware update was required. This was during the activation process. After I clicked to update the firmware there was no feedback from the app about the firmware update at all, but I could see my WiFi data being used so I imagined it was upgrading. I compared the sound it was making to a YouTube video who said this is the sound it makes when the firmware update is complete. I power cycled at that time, possibly there was an error with the Firmware upgrade.
2. It is a refurbished unit, and some have suggested this happens after a crash, and to tap on the device to un-stick the accelerometer. My x,y,z values are not stuck, though, and are all close to 0, they also move when the aircraft is moved. Still, tapping on the sides of the drone has not fixed the issue.

I've tried downgrading and reupgrading the firmware via sd card to no avail. I've also reinstalled the latest firmware multiple times by pressing the button underneath the drone with the latest firmware on SD Card. I would like to avoid having my drone serviced as I just received it the other day. Is there any other steps I can try?
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

May I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft?
2017-9-19
Use props
Mricho
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-19 19:23
May I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft?

1.09.2 although I have tried to downgrade and bring back to 1.09.2
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

If you had a crash, most likely you may need to have the aircraft serviced. Firmware to the current version is the best way to resolve this but not a guarantee. Try that through the Assistant software first. If that does not work, consider having a technician look at your aircraft. You can do that through Customer Service.
2017-9-20
Use props
Mricho
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-20 09:52
If you had a crash, most likely you may need to have the aircraft serviced. Firmware to the current version is the best way to resolve this but not a guarantee. Try that through the Assistant software first. If that does not work, consider having a technician look at your aircraft. You can do that through Customer Service.

I thought that DJI Assistant was only for the Phantom 3 Pro and not Standard. Can I use DJI Assistant with the Phanton 3 Standard?
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Mricho Posted at 2017-9-19 19:56
1.09.2 although I have tried to downgrade and bring back to 1.09.2

How can you downgrade to the same firmware version that it's already on?

You folks really have to proof read these posts, before tapping the Participation tab.

Yes Really. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
Mricho
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-20 16:24
How can you downgrade to the same firmware version that it's already on?

You folks really have to proof read these posts, before tapping the Participation tab.

I meant that I downgraded to an older firmware, tested it, and then brought it back to the current firmware, and tested it again
2017-9-20
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

RHP- Chill bro.
It's plain to see that he downgraded from 1.9.20 and then upgraded back to 1.9.20 .
Initially, I would have tried the same thing since a stuck IMU will usually report an error as early as 1%.
It's possibly  a hardware problem and so he should send it back to be serviced. I wouldn't want to be standing within shouting distance of that drone it it did manage to get airborne.
2017-9-20
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Betamace Posted at 2017-9-20 16:49
RHP- Chill bro.
It's plain to see that he downgraded from 1.9.20 and then upgraded back to 1.9.20 .
Initially, I would have tried the same thing since a stuck IMU will usually report an error as early as 1%.

I liked that post!
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mricho Posted at 2017-9-20 16:41
I meant that I downgraded to an older firmware, tested it, and then brought it back to the current firmware, and tested it again

Fair enough. Did it help you at all?

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Betamace Posted at 2017-9-20 16:49
RHP- Chill bro.

Yes, I shall open the blast proof doors, and let the moon shine in. ;-)

"Plain to see"? No, actually not at all.  Or I wouldn't have asked.

& until I asked and got a reply, you didn't know either. Play games pal. Ok? Ha

I didn't live this long, being unaware...

Perhaps after spending a couple of years or more on here, I expect much more from you.
Too much to ask? Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
Mricho
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-20 17:34
Yes, I shall open the blast proof doors, and let the moon shine in. ;-)

Nothing seems to work so far. I'm confused by DJI's suggestion to use Assistant software for the firmware, since it does not seem to work with the Phantom 3 Standard.

A user on reddit told me to uninstall the app, perform an IMU calibration, then reinstall the app, and run the IMU again. I am not sure how to do the IMU calibration without the app, though...
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mricho Posted at 2017-9-20 19:09
Nothing seems to work so far. I'm confused by DJI's suggestion to use Assistant software for the firmware, since it does not seem to work with the Phantom 3 Standard.

A user on reddit told me to uninstall the app, perform an IMU calibration, then reinstall the app, and run the IMU again. I am not sure how to do the IMU calibration without the app, though...

You are correct. AFAIK, WE need the Go app to perform an IMU calibration.
Which moderator told you this? Could they give you the method of doing it?

Perhaps return to Reddit and request specific directions, from that person. ;-)

Not sure about the Assistant software on a Phantom 3. I have never used it myself.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

I am sorry as I did not realize it was a Phantom 3 Standard that you were referring to. It is correct that there is not an Assistant Software available for this product. Please contact Customer Service so we can have a technician look at your aircraft.
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules