What to do when you're grounded by weather?
12Next >
3073 79 2017-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

What do you do to entertain your UAV interest when you have a long period of bad weather and you can't fly?
Any suggestions?
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Well, it actually snowed in Edmonton Alberta, today...

So, I was forced to turn on my PC and fire up RealFlight Drone SIM.
Check it out, www.realflight.com for your understanding, why I love it...

Otherwise, I have several other enjoyable hobbies, that deserve equal billing, on the home marquee.

My love of Leather work, ranks right up there with my Nikon D800 ~ 80-400mm lens, digital photography.

RedHotPoker

2017-9-19
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 20:26
Well, it actually snowed in Edmonton Alberta, today...

So, I was forced to turn on my PC and fire up RealFlight Drone SIM.

What do you make leather wise?
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-19 20:53
What do you make leather wise?

Ah, I do various leather crafts. Love to carve and sew belts, enjoy tooling & lacing wallets.
Heck, I've even made myself some awesome leather neck ties. Cases, for my sports gear. Knife sheaths, Archery items. Axe cases. List goes on.
It's a fun and rewarding hobby. That can become a small home business. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 21:02
Ah, I do various leather crafts. Love to carve and sew belts, enjoy tooling & lacing wallets.
Heck, I've even made myself some awesome leather neck ties. Cases, for my sports gear. Knife sheaths, Archery items. Axe cases. List goes on.

All righty then...let's do what you do to everyone show us the pics...please
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-19 21:38
All righty then...let's do what you do to everyone  show us the pics...please

Certainly, & What would be your fancy, sir? ;-) image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow, this pic upload is acting up tonight.

RedHotPoker

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I will try to upload a few more, of my goods tomorrow.

But certainly you get the general idea. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 21:54

Impressive hobby for sure!
To get back on the OP's question .
So far I have not bought a drone, but I am considering either Spark or Mavic. (Phantom seems too much size and price for the whole package right now) so I focus on my other hobby's as well.
Making music, digital photography and videography.
One day soon I hope to insert a drone in that chain.
2017-9-19
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 21:54

I'll say this you are well equipped, and it looks like you can do nearly anything leather related.
I liked the rams on the leather, was that your work,
Yet, I was hoping to see some finished items.
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-19 22:04
Impressive hobby for sure!
To get back on the OP's question .
So far I have not bought a drone, but I am considering either Spark or Mavic. (Phantom seems too much size and price for the whole package right now) so I focus on my other hobby's as well.

No drone, yet? That must be painfully desired, by you.  If you think the Phantom series are too big, take a close look at the Inspire... Haha

Man music? Yes, & I didn't even go there.  I also play. I own a Yamaha Motif XF8 midi cabled to my Yamaha DTX Multi 12 drum kit.

More fun, can't possibly be had... Can it, Surely??

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 22:16
No drone, yet? That must be painfully desired, by you.  If you think the Phantom series are too big, take a close look at the Inspire... Haha

Man music? Yes, & I didn't even go there.  I also play. I own a Yamaha Motif XF8 midi cabled to my Yamaha DTX Multi 12 drum kit.

It is for sure.
I almost bought a Spark, but cancelled the order because I found out it could not record in 25fps.
(I have some other camera's that are fixed in PAL mode, so combining with 30fps is an issue for me).
So now it is a game of wait and see which comes first. Spark with 25fps OR the money for a MP Fly More combo.

I considered the P4A for a short time, because of it's camera. But that seemed too much size and price for me indeed.
Nice to hear. We used to have a Yamaha Motif as well in the band. Don't remember what exact one it was. Now we switched to a Nord Stage 2. Also lots of fun.

Now I have to get started with my job. Have a good night (I guess)
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-19 22:07
I'll say this you are well equipped, and it looks like you can do nearly anything leather related.
I liked the rams on the leather, was that your work,
Yet, I was hoping to see some finished items.

I can pull a few out, for you, sure, why not...? ;-)
Couple of wallets, belts, a bull whip I have nearly completed.
There was to be more pics inserted here., yes, I painted them horny beasts. Ha
Most of my better creations have been gifted, sold or traded in barter...
image.jpeg
Was there a little something, that you wanted, for yourself? ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-9-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 22:16

Oh, BTW, I see we also share a camera brand
Nikon D610 here.
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-19 22:34
Oh, BTW, I see we also share a camera brand
Nikon D610 here.

Sorry, but my pics aren't loading. Not sure why? But I will try to load them again in the morning.

Yes, I love Nikon. The 610 is nice, for sure.
Wish I could afford the new D850. ;-)

It's not so much the camera, but the glass. A Nikon lens has such clarity. No wonder they make an adapter to screw a Nikkor lens onto a Cannon body. Ha

Boys and their toys. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 22:32

Yeah, my wife might like that purse if the price is right, it looks like a purse to me?
Santa has to have some stuff for his sack
2017-9-19
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 22:32

Where do you get your leather and what is it?
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-19 22:22
It is for sure.
I almost bought a Spark, but cancelled the order because I found out it could not record in 25fps.
(I have some other camera's that are fixed in PAL mode, so combining with 30fps is an issue for me).

Boy you are certainly picky, when desiring a specific frame rate while flying in video mode. All though I understand why and what the differences would be. Frame rates, wasn't even a consideration. But the 4K certainly helped me change my original order from a Phantom 3 Advanced to the Phantom 3 Pro.
Honestly I don't understand how you think the Phantoms are too large? What kind of secretive missions have you in mind? J/K
If you bought the appropriate DJI hardshell backpack, it becomes an easy package to carry and transport.  I like the larger size, being much more visible, for these old eyes. Even if wearing prescription eye wear. That's partly why I added the Lume Cubes with drone mounts. Now I can easily spot my drone, a couple of kilometers away, no problem, with them lume cubes in one of their several strobe modes.
I rYde a Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster, so for my current situation, an oversized Inspire was out of the question. But in the near future, who knows... I may buy another pickup truck, short box.

Night shift, I loved it, but I'm a night owl for sure... I won't ask what you do, but for me, it was security work. Yes, I used to work as a monitor for a local fire/burglary alarm company.  It was a lonely long 10 hr shift. But the price was right, it paid very well, considering the ease of operations...

Gosh, now I'm in a chatty mood.  Yada yada yada. Wicked grin

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-19 22:46
Yeah, my wife might like that purse if the price is right, it looks like a purse to me?
Santa has to have some stuff for his sack

Actually, yes, it resembles a ladies handbag. I have used it to carry 12 gauge shotgun shells.
Or other glamorous outdoor items, essentials.

Santa. He's one of my all time favorite folk heros. A bit of a myth, and yet, he never lets me down.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 22:40
Sorry, but my pics aren't loading. Not sure why? But I will try to load them again in the morning.

Yeah, D850 is on my longlist for sure.

2017-9-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 23:05
Boy you are certainly picky, when desiring a specific frame rate while flying in video mode. All though I understand why and what the differences would be. Frame rates, wasn't even a consideration. But the 4K certainly helped me change my original order from a Phantom 3 Advanced to the Phantom 3 Pro.
Honestly I don't understand how you think the Phantoms are too large? What kind of secretive missions have you in mind? J/K
If you bought the appropriate DJI hardshell backpack, it becomes an easy package to carry and transport.  I like the larger size, being much more visible, for these old eyes. Even if wearing prescription eye wear. That's partly why I added the Lume Cubes with drone mounts. Now I can easily spot my drone, a couple of kilometers away, no problem, with them lume cubes in one of their several strobe modes.

Hahahahaha.
Size is the least of my worries when considering P4A.
Price is the main issue here. Especially when I want at least two more batteries.
That means about € 300,- more than a MP fly more.
Money I would like to spend on some other gadgets on my list ;)

When thinking about size: no secret missions here. But a Nikon D610 + 4 prime lenses AND a Rhode videomic pro is already a lot to carry (still manageable, but a lot)
So adding a drone to that list will be a lot to carry when on foot.
Then again, I am crazy enough to hike with the D610 a whole day (most of the time leaving 1 or two primes back in the cabin to reduce the weight.
So who knows
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-19 22:47
Where do you get your leather and what is it?

In the capital city, there are several leather suppliers. Two that I prefer are Halford Hide and Leather Co, www.Halfords.ca and of course Tandy Leather, www.tandyleather.ca

What is the leather? I only use vegetable or brain tanned cow hide, for tooling and carving.
Wish I could acquire a few "Hermann Oak' tooling hides... ;-)
I also would love some alligator skin, to build a few awesome products. Belts, wallets, other things.
Hard to come by, way up here in the landlocked province. & Pricey.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RE: What to do when you're grounded by weather?

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-19 23:21
Hahahahaha.
Size is the least of my worries when considering P4A.
Price is the main issue here. Especially when I want at least two more batteries.

I must concur about having a few flight packs. I eventually bought three more intelligent batteries to keep my Phantom 3 Pro up and flying. For a total of four, but I upgraded my flight kit case, buying a Plasticase Nanuk 945. So now I have room for three more packs... Waiting for a great sale, and I will likely grab a couple more before too long. They currently hover around the $200 CDN price tag. A heavy hit, to the hip.
One nice thing about the SpYder RS-S is the "frunk".  A roomy enough, front storage space, big enough to hold my D800, camera gear and a couple of lenses. I usually bring the Nikkor 80-400mm & my other is a 24-120mm lens. Tripod strapped to the passenger seat, behind me. Drone in the backpack, comfortably.

But more often, it will be just one or the other. Rare is the day, I will bring both the Nikon and the worthy
Phantom 3 Pro.

One nice thing about the Mavic, you can carry it in a belt holster.  The Spark, nearly fits in a large shirt pocket. Eh? Hehe

RedHotPoker
2017-9-19
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 21:02

LOL, I made an arm guard for my daughter who is into archery.  You could make special falconry gloves to let UAVs other than the Spark  land on your hand
2017-9-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I had to Google this because I wanted to know what it was.  I wish I hadn't.
2017-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 23:48
I must concur about having a few flight packs. I eventually bought three more intelligent batteries to keep my Phantom 3 Pro up and flying. For a total of four, but I upgraded my flight kit case, buying a Plasticase Nanuk 945. So now I have room for three more packs... Waiting for a great sale, and I will likely grab a couple more before too long. They currently hover around the $200 CDN price tag. A heavy hit, to the hip.
One nice thing about the SpYder RS-S is the "frunk".  A roomy enough, front storage space, big enough to hold my D800, camera gear and a couple of lenses. I usually bring the Nikkor 80-400mm & my other is a 24-120mm lens. Tripod strapped to the passenger seat, behind me. Drone in the backpack, comfortably.

I don't know if I will carry both at the same time all the time.
When I'm at home probably not, but when on holiday I think I want to have both options available.
And the trunk is already 110% filled so another big case will definitely be some issue....

What case is that? I tried Google, but SpYder RS-S gave me plenty of results. None were related to storing a drone ;)
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-9-20 00:25
LOL, I made an arm guard for my daughter who is into archery.  You could make special falconry gloves to let UAVs other than the Spark  land on your hand

I am preparing, to make myself an awesome archery arm guard.

This design was shared on the www.leatherworker.net website/forum.
Here is a pic, and the PDF file for building one.

http://www.crafts-design.com/content/directdownload/Archery_Arm_Guard_(web).pdf

Isn't that an awesome creation? Haha

RedHotPoker
image.jpeg
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-20 00:31
I had to Google this because I wanted to know what it was.  I wish I hadn't.

Ancient Native American leather tanning method, which works very well.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-20 00:39
I don't know if I will carry both at the same time all the time.
When I'm at home probably not, but when on holiday I think I want to have both options available.
And the trunk is already 110% filled so another big case will definitely be some issue....

The SpYder (three wheeled motorcycle) front trunk space wouldn't be large enough to fit my flight kit. But it will hold my camera gear and its extras, just great. Plus some H2o to help keep me hydrated, a couple of sandwiches, & dessert.

Even though the DJI drone and my Nikon camera are both photography equipment, I rarely feel the need to carry them both, together. One or the other will do quite nicely.  Thinking, if it were me, on holidays, I would prefer to have the butler or my Sherpa guide, to help heft the weight. Haha
If your trunk is already 110% full, you still have negative 10% to unuse. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-19 23:34
In the capital city, there are several leather suppliers. Two that I prefer are Halford Hide and Leather Co, www.Halfords.ca and of course Tandy Leather, www.tandyleather.ca

What is the leather? I only use vegetable or brain tanned cow hide, for tooling and carving.

What is Herman Oak?  Never heard of that?  Something to do with Oak bark?
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-20 01:33
What is Herman Oak?  Never heard of that?  Something to do with Oak bark?

My spelling!! That should have said Hermann Oak Leather.
Please see http://hermannoakleather.com/ for their awesome tanned leather and products..

It's probably one of, if not thee best, premier leather, for carving/tooling work.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-20 01:58
My spelling!! That should have said Hermann Oak Leather.
Please see http://hermannoakleather.com/ for their awesome tanned leather and products..

Well I'm glad this stuff keeps you off the street and out of trouble
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-20 02:24
Well I'm glad this stuff keeps you off the street and out of trouble

At this age, later stage of life, I have no time for trouble.  Not even turmoil.

The only problem I have, is my lack of funds to buy more "stuff".

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-20 02:29
At this age, later stage of life, I have no time for trouble.  Not even turmoil.

The only problem I have, is my lack of funds to buy more "stuff".

Well selling some of that handy leather work could help get you there stuff wise...folks in NY City would pay top dollar for some of that stuff.  The rest of the country maybe a little less.
2017-9-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-20 03:08
Well selling some of that handy leather work could help get you there stuff wise...folks in NY City would pay top dollar for some of that stuff.  The rest of the country maybe a little less.

I make some pretty nice leather goods if I do say so myself, Yes, but the many hours of my time to put together a product, then sell it for a fair price, doesn't pay me for the commitment.

That's why I enjoy gifting, or to barter... Atleast it's a fair exchange.

A nice customized belt, to help hold up,your pants, would be $175.00
What size is your waist. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-20
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-20 03:14
I make some pretty nice leather goods if I do say so myself, Yes, but the many hours of my time to put together a product, then sell it for a fair price, doesn't pay me for the commitment.

Well I can see why, you make good looking stuff
...but RHP we barely know each other to exchange such personal details
2017-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-20 03:28
Well I can see why, you make good looking stuff
...but RHP we barely know each other to exchange such personal details

Get a room you guys. Lol
2017-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-20 01:10
The SpYder (three wheeled motorcycle) front trunk space wouldn't be large enough to fit my flight kit. But it will hold my camera gear and its extras, just great. Plus some H2o to help keep me hydrated, a couple of sandwiches, & dessert.

Even though the DJI drone and my Nikon camera are both photography equipment, I rarely feel the need to carry them both, together. One or the other will do quite nicely.  Thinking, if it were me, on holidays, I would prefer to have the butler or my Sherpa guide, to help heft the weight. Haha

When I'm on holiday I usually only take my D610 with me. Does a great job filming AND taking pictures.
I love the DOF that I get with a 35mm sensor.
I do also have a Panasonic videocamera. That does a better job filming (AF, zoom, IS etc.) BUT it is most of the time too much to carry two devices and I only take the Panasonic with me when on a 'film' mission. (I like to film trains, so when I'm doing just that, I take both).
So I'm not sure how a drone will fill in that way of doing things but I hope to find out soon!
2017-9-20
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well if you can't fly...

Bottled.jpg
2017-9-20
Use props
Dale 68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I live in Wales, I'm always grounded due to rain  
2017-9-20
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-20 00:35
I am preparing, to make myself an awesome archery arm guard.

This design was shared on the www.leatherworker.net website/forum.

WOW! ... Much fancier than the barebones one I made... And I have a D200 and a Coolpix P900. My F2 with Photomic DP2 got stolen in 1990 or so :-(
2017-9-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules