12Next >
3026 72 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

From yesterday if I power up spark and rc, and plug in otg, it offers me to auto open the app for use with otg connection. Have not noticed update but this is fantastic because wifi gives me huge video lag. Also you can switch between gps, vps and atti mode at will!!!
2017-9-20
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

The OTG app start is an "old" android features that worked for me form the beginning. First time you plug in OTG it asks you to connect an app to this feature and it will launch it.
Good to hear that it solves your video lag - OTG rulez ;)

2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

OK not seen it before. I don't think I ve seen the choice of gps or atti. Have you?
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Please note that there are already severals threads here in the forum concerning the use of OTG cable.
And kindly explain to us how you believe to be able to "switch between gps, vps and atti mode at will!!!"?
In my opinion this is not possible and independent from the use of an OTG cable.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Check your height, distance and rth height.
But apparently it resets to 50m,100m and rth 50 m when using otg
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I might be seeing things, but on otg only here is a screenshot.
Screenshot_2017-09-20-11-58-37.png
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 03:01
I might be seeing things, but on otg only here is a screenshot.

Too low resolution of the screenshot, can't read anything but from guessing it does not show anything new or different.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry can't get high res shot to load.
It's the prompt just under the RTH settings for gps/atti mode.
If it was always there I've not seen it since I have always used wifi as recommended by dji.
Video still unusable except with .otg
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 05:21
Sorry can't get high res shot to load.
It's the prompt just under the RTH settings for gps/atti mode.
If it was always there I've not seen it since I have always used wifi as recommended by dji.

It has always been there also with WiFi connection. It simply has nothing to do with OTG.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well it's definately not there on wifi on my android, and never has been and isn' there today. If you must be s dismissive please do not reply again. Thankyou
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 05:42
Well it's definately not there on wifi on my android, and never has been and isn' there today. If you must be s dismissive please do not reply again. Thankyou

It has never been my intention to be dismissive and I can't quite follow how you have reached to this conclusion. But sure, I won't reply any more to this.
2017-9-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

is this on Android ?
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Watchberger, I sincerely  apologise. I wrongly took your comments. Cannot seem to make any progress on why my video is a scrambled mess. Onceagain sorry.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JKS photo. Yes it's android, samsung tablet T800. Not been a problem so far. Still no good. Always used wifi as recommended, but suddenly failed.Phone the same but has recovered say 75%.
Both perfect on otg. Thanks for interest.
2017-9-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 07:36
JKS photo. Yes it's android, samsung tablet T800. Not been a problem so far. Still no good. Always used wifi as recommended, but suddenly failed.Phone the same but has recovered say 75%.
Both perfect on otg. Thanks for interest.

Thanks, I'm on iOS and have never had those options to switch modes. Probably why I have never seen it
2017-9-20
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

OTG on my android is work fine.

2017-9-20
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

My OTG work great!

2017-9-20
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 2017-9-20 08:21
My OTG work great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPD7HXshgc&t=6s

Doesn't this void your warranty should you have some problem?
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 07:05
Watchberger, I sincerely  apologise. I wrongly took your comments. Cannot seem to make any progress on why my video is a scrambled mess. Onceagain sorry.

Don't worry, especially since I have to apologise as well. One of my earlier statements was wrong indeed and now I can provide a nice screenshot. You were right that the part of the menu in the red box becomes only visible when connected via OTG cable. Just, unfortunately, it makes (until now) no difference for us since the described functions are not yet enabled in the Spark. Im am confident that not too far in the future they might become available. Strong wishes in this regard have been expressed by many in this forum already.
Thus please accept my apologies for any confusion caused!

Screenshot

Screenshot
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My point. Quite why two people have posted videos on how to connect otg is a mystery, since apart from dji telling me not to use it,  it's one of the few things I have no problem with.
PS I notice his screen  opens with a compass error which received no attention.!
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dear Watchberger,  glad we're friends again. I am getting very confused!
2017-9-20
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 08:55
My point. Quite why two people have posted videos on how to connect otg is a mystery, since apart from dji telling me not to use it,  it's one of the few things I have no problem with.
PS I notice his screen  opens with a compass error which received no attention.!

In regards to the compass error, its because his Spark is sitting on a table around a bunch of other things.  I would have been surprised had it not shown a compass error.
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 08:56
Dear Watchberger,  glad we're friends again. I am getting very confused!

I am also glad although I never had "unfriended" you . Also no reason to get confused. What we see on the screenshot is a function that Mavic has. And even for Mavic it is probably only availabe when a RC is used (you really don't want to fly Atti without RC from all I have heard about it). Thus to make sure that these functions are only available in combination with a RC, DJI has linked them to the use of an OTG cable, which is supported for Mavic. This is my explanation/conclusion after thinking about it.
We all know that OTG works well for Spark too (I use it since day one), but this is not yet officially supported by DJI. It is my sincere hope that this will change soon.
2017-9-20
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

How come DJI does not support use of OTG cable with Spark, but they support use of OTG cable with Goggles + Spark?    https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-micro-usb-otg-cable
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ocean224 Posted at 2017-9-20 09:49
How come DJI does not support use of OTG cable with Spark, but they support use of OTG cable with Goggles + Spark?    https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-micro-usb-otg-cable

This is an entirely hypothetical answer, only DJI can answer this question officially.

My opinion is that the combination of SPARK, RC and GOGGLES consists entirely of DJI hardware.  There is no "uncontrolled" component in this configuration.

Now if you go with SPARK, RC and Phone, the "phone" component opens up the system to so much hardware and variability that DJI cannot control.  I've already experienced different app behavior depending on the power of the device I'm using (Go 4 app behaves poorly on an under powered device).  Many people are reporting that they are using hardware which is not in the "recommended" list (I've no problem with this, it's just another example of how little control DJI has over that component).

That's my opinion.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks for explaining all this. It remains unknown why my RC to tab has failed. I have used for 3 months, but it could be an unsupported device and that'll be that. I really want spark to work for me, and the gesture control for quick shots really appealed. But if it loses you there's no way to get it back without resort to RC or phone. And it might autoland off edge of cliff . But for now I'll hav
e to otg it. Range is not an issue since I mostly want it for photography.

Hope future updates address some of these issues. DJI presumably have thousand upon thousands of customers without problems, so it can only require a small team to help those of us having difficulty.
For example is an orange reading for the gyro instead of green OK? Recalibrating the IMU made it slightly worse.
2017-9-20
Use props
Alanzalander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93009 ft
Germany

Hi, I found a very nice OTG cable at Am..on. Its called "Lindy". It has micro-B connectors on both ends so there is no unnecessary connection to an OTG adapter that could fall apart. Plugs are slim, cable is not too long with 0.5m. Red end goes into RC, black into mobile. Works perfectly.
DSC_0219_1.jpg
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks for tip☺
2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

But this cable is far too long and probably expensive. Search on a big international sales platform (this time not E but A) "OTG cable DJI Spark" and you will find all you are looking for at good price.
P.S. If it is for Android Micro USB device I shall have a spare one soon to give away.

2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-20 14:25
But this cable is far too long and probably expensive. Search on a big international sales platform (this time not E but A) "OTG cable DJI Spark" and you will find all you are looking for at good price.
P.S. If it is for Android Micro USB device I shall have a spare one soon to give away.

To which big international sale platform could you possibly be referring?
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks all for help and advice. I'll check out the cables. Running temporarily on separate host usb setup.
2017-9-20
Use props
Burak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49731 ft
Turkey

I have a simple stupid theory why dji dont want us using otg cables.
Mavic remote has two usb ports, hence goggles+otg
Spark has only 1
If they accept that wifi mode sucks and otg is the way to go, where will they make us connect the goggles. If goggles dont work with wifi pretty well, then they have misadvertised spark being compatible with goggles thus big problem with dji.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This thread is probably exhausted, but as a late observation in case the mods are still looking, I found that by connecting my samsung tab direct to spark with no rc, video reception is perfect.
It appears that the rc is the cause of the problem, so I can only assume something has changed in that respect.
2017-9-21
Use props
Alanzalander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93009 ft
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-20 14:25

You can't call it especially expensive, it costs about 5€.
2017-9-21
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Looks like otg no use to me - distance and altitude capped to unacceptable level
2017-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Alanzalander Posted at 2017-9-21 11:50
You can't call it especially expensive, it costs about 5€.

You are right! That is not expensive at all, just still too long unless you want to connect a flatscreen TV... (sorry! just a joke I couldn't resist to)
2017-9-21
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-20 08:55

its because my remote controller was right on top of Spark....
2017-9-22
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Understood. Thanks for help.   But now I find distance and altitude are drastically reduced with OTG  , so I have abandoned it.
2017-9-22
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-20 08:54
Don't worry, especially since I have to apologise as well. One of my earlier statements was wrong indeed and now I can provide a nice screenshot. You were right that the part of the menu in the red box becomes only visible when connected via OTG cable. Just, unfortunately, it makes (until now) no difference for us since the described functions are not yet enabled in the Spark. Im am confident that not too far in the future they might become available. Strong wishes in this regard have been expressed by many in this forum already.
Thus please accept my apologies for any confusion caused!

'Wrong statements' seem to be a habit of yours...
2017-9-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Romania

It's all academic , no need to talk about OTG again on the forum, given the limits (50m height and 100m range) set by the latest IOS version of the app, it is no longer viable with the Spark
2017-9-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules