A guide for better battery life
5335 16 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anuvis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

Hi i justn want to share a video from you tube which i found very helpfoul about the battery of spark....Enjoy

2017-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing. Had not found it so far.
2017-9-20
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

This is a great video .. had seen it on you tube a few days ago.
2017-9-20
Use props
spline
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45016 ft
Switzerland

50 minutes ... omg
2017-9-20
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

It is worth seeing this video....
2017-9-20
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

there is one question still unanswered for me is it ok to store the batteries in the charging dock ?i dont have dock powered on .....thnks
2017-9-20
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

wobbles Posted at 2017-9-20 08:48
there is one question still unanswered for me is it ok to store the batteries in the charging dock ?i dont have dock powered on .....thnks

I don't think that is wise to store the batteries attached to the dock, because maybe they are connected in order to avoid shortcicuit....Maybe i am wrong...
2017-9-20
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

They are smart and should not bother. But it has to be tested.
A little current may leak backwards to the dock - we don’t know.

See if they have lost any voltage after having been sitting there for a few days.
They must initially be less than 70% percent charged to be sure they don’t run their built-in storage program.

The most common lipo battery killers are heat and overdischarge.
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-20 11:22
I don't think that is wise to store the batteries attached to the dock, because maybe they are connected in order to avoid shortcicuit....Maybe i am wrong...

This is complete and total speculation, but I'm thinking that you are right, and that one doesn't want to store the batteries on the dock.  The reason for me jumping to this conclusion is:  If the batteries are pre-built to be smart (they are), and if they include a mechanism to discharge to some level because holding a full charge without usage is bad (they do this), then keeping them on a charger and keeping them fully charged just circumvents this intelligent feature of the battery.

This assumes that the battery can't ignore the charge of the dock, and also assumes that the charging dock does not share the same intelligence.
2017-9-20
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Is there a summary of this vid. Who has 50mins to spend listening to this.
2017-9-20
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

larrymull Posted at 2017-9-20 16:09
Is there a summary of this vid. Who has 50mins to spend listening to this.

The video has chapters so you can see want you want
2017-9-21
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Some dreadful advice in here..... I got as far as him saying that lipos need to be charged every so often so they do not suffer a memory effect and gave up!

1. Lipos should not be stored either fully charged OR depleted - He makes reference to flying, leaving the packs at 20-30 percent and leaving them until next time - Bad Advice
2. All lipos whether used or not will lose capacity over time - its physics, you cant change it. For long term storage the best possible environment is at a charge of 3.86v per cell and around 5-10 degrees temperature which will slow the decaying process to as little 1 to 2% over a 12 month period.
3. He doesn't mention Hibernation mode and incorrectly says after 2 days the pack will start to self discharge - no it doesn't. The delay is 10 days and cannot be user set.
4. Lithium Polymer cells DO NOT suffer any memory effect

All of this information is readily accessible via good resources on the internet
2017-9-21
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-9-21 01:20
Some dreadful advice in here..... I got as far as him saying that lipos need to be charged every so often so they do not suffer a memory effect and gave up!

1. Lipos should nor be stored either fully charged OR depleted - He makes reference to flying, leaving the packs at 20-30 percent and leaving them until next time - Bad Advice

Exactly +1
2017-9-21
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

@Tharg: Well said.
For storage, I use to charge until the 3rd diode has started blinking. I set a watch alarm to 15-20  minutes, so I don’t forget to look at the charger.
2017-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

However, there is good advice in this video too. But it could have been made much shorter without loosing any information. The guy is talking way too much and repeating the same things multiple times. The introduction alone already is long and not needed at all.
And I have one more advice resulting from my own reflections: I have 6 batteries so far (and might add another three over time). In order to use them in a balanced way, I have numbered them with small paper stickers on the battery labels using them always one after the other and restarting with no. 1 when the sequence is completed.

2017-9-21
Use props
Anuvis
Second Officer
Greece

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-21 08:20
However, there is good advice in this video too. But it could have been made much shorter without loosing any information. The guy is talking way too much and repeating the same things multiple times. The introduction alone already is long and not needed at all.
And I have one more advice resulting from my own reflections: I have 6 batteries so far (and might add another three over time). In order to use them in a balanced way, I have numbered them with small paper stickers on the battery labels using them always one after the other and restarting with no. 1 when the sequence is completed.

Yes this is exactly what i have done with my batteries....Wit that way i have balances charges and flights.....I have 3 batteries with 62 charges each....
2017-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-21 09:33
Yes this is exactly what i have done with my batteries....Wit that way i have balances charges and flights.....I have 3 batteries with 62 charges each....

Wow, 62 is a lot, I am impressed!
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules