Filters - effectiveness and best option in UK
1440 5 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

So who has used filters for their spark? Contemplating buying a set but I see there are now quite a few options available. Polar Pro seems to be a popular option but the initial batch were not very successful and soon were replaced. Available on Amazon.co.uk but unclear if these are the new ones.

What have you used and would you recommend? Is the footage better for it in you opinion? In terms of percentage of the cost of the initial purchase it's a reasonably significant purchase for a cheaper drone like the spark.
2017-9-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

Going to buy these at the end of the month. Have been assured by the seller that they are the new version.

Hobby Mount
2017-9-20
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

This post helped me when I was buying an ND filter. Might be worth a read.

https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... o-drone-nd-filters/
2017-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There are (in my opinion) two things filters can do for you:
1. A polarizer can eliminate reflections from water etc. Making for a more pleasing look while filming / photographing reflective surfaces. Also it can produce very dark blue skies.
2. A ND filter can lower your overall shutterspeed by lowering the amount of light that hits the sensor. This is useful for video mostly.
There is sort of a rule of thumb that your shutterspeed 'should' match double your framerate.
So Spark shoots 30fps video, the shutterspeed should be 1/60.
That is said to deliver the best result.

Some talk about other effects like lowering contrast, reducing over exposure etc. etc.
Lowering contrast:
In my opinion that is NOT what ND filters do. You need a gradual ND filter, but that is useless on a drone as you have to manipulate the filter just before you take a picture so that it matches the horizon. This is obviously not possible or at least not convenient when the Spark is in the air.

Reducing over exposure:
I think ND filters are rarely needed for this.
At least, not when the amount of light is still not enough to hit the max shutterspeed.
If there is more light than the max shutterspeed can take, then an ND filter will help. But I doubt if you will often encounter that much light (I don't own a Spark, so I don't know if others have experienced this)

So yes, they are very handy if you want to achieve the best shutterspeed for video (ND) OR reduce reflections (Polarizer).
It's up to you if you need that.  
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-20 05:38
There are (in my opinion) two things filters can do for you:
1. A polarizer can eliminate reflections from water etc. Making for a more pleasing look while filming / photographing reflective surfaces. Also it can produce very dark blue skies.
2. A ND filter can lower your overall shutterspeed by lowering the amount of light that hits the sensor. This is useful for video mostly.

If you are flying on a bright day, a filter can make the difference in a photo. Certainly, it is a good consideration for the money.
2017-9-20
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the responses- that was a good article link. I've used a polarised filter a fair bit for handheld SLR photography and can certainly see where they could be useful in drone  work too. It was the use of them to lower the shutter speed that interested me . I think I'll give a set a go.
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules