1472 24 2017-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans99779563
lvl.1
Flight distance : 175840 ft
Indonesia

Hi,

First of all, I would like to mention that I have flown almost 40km with spark with no major issues, which had changed today.

I have been flying along the beach and taking panoramic pictures for about 4 min. I did 4 of them and executed 1 dronie. When I was calling the drone back to do the rocket suddenly it fell .I could see 2 elements falling at two different speed. When I went to crash site I saw almost untouched spark and the battery around 10m from it. Battery had a bubble (like plastic not fit)  on the one side and as it was also crashing on the sand it was highly unlikely this is the damage caused because of hitting the ground. To be honest i dont know what to think on this situation as it clearly created a hazard and might also explain other losses when the drone is not in lane of sight.

I would like to know how i can proceed now ?
1. Is this warranty covered issue ?
2. Drone itself doesnt show any damage and after plugging second battery it works normally. Can I still fly it ?
3. How do I prevent this situation in the future ?

Thanks for your help in advance

2017-9-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

This quite much looks like the first battery was not properly fixed to the Spark and fell off during flight. And if the fixing mechanism on the battery is damaged it should not be used any more. Concerning the Spark I would recommend watching its flight behavior closely for a while if really all is well. In case of doubt better send it in for check. And to answer you last question: Always check before take off if the battery is really well fixed on the Spark.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about the crash accident. We don't suggest to keep flying, please send in the drone for evaluation and data analysis to avoid any potential damage. Warranty depends on the result of data analysis. Repair center will take care of it.
2017-9-20
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Based on the information you just provided, looks like the battery was not clipped in properly.  Make sure the battery is securely attached before flight.  As for your spark, remove and inspect all props for broken clips and make sure the motors are turning without any noise (make sure no sand got into them).  Reattach props and enjoy.
2017-9-20
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

Swelling is one of the common failure modes of Li-Po batteries. I think most probably at least one of the cells swelled under load and popped the whole package off. I cannot see how this could have been caused by improper installation of the battery: it either positively and properly clicks in place or it doesn't at all, IMO.
2017-9-20
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zbig Posted at 2017-9-20 05:03
Swelling is one of the common failure modes of Li-Po batteries. I think most probably at least one of the cells swelled under load and popped the whole package off. I cannot see how this could have been caused by improper installation of the battery: it either positively and properly clicks in place or it doesn't at all, IMO.

This was my initial thought as well.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Indonesia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-20 04:57
Sorry to hear about the crash accident. We don't suggest to keep flying, please send in the drone for evaluation and data analysis to avoid any potential damage. Warranty depends on the result of data analysis. Repair center will take care of it.

Hi Mindy,
Thanks for fast response.

Could you advice on the next steps please ?

I have already contacted dji support
I bought the drone in authorized reseller in Indonesia and I will be there for 1 day only and I will move back permanently to Poland so I will have no possibility to pick it up from Indonesia.

Will authorized reseller accept my warranty in PL ?
Can i send the drone directly  to repair center and get it shipped to PL ?

2017-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

As far as I know warranty is only valid in the area of purchase.
At least, that is what I was told by DJI sales.
If you did purchase Care Refresh also, that you can take with you to some other country (as far as I know)
Not sure how DJI will respond to this specific case of course.
Flight logs might be handy if you can download them already.
2017-9-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh, and do you happen to have made a picture from the battery?
Sometimes a picture says more than 1000 words
2017-9-20
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Indonesia

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-20 05:00
Based on the information you just provided, looks like the battery was not clipped in properly.  Make sure the battery is securely attached before flight.  As for your spark, remove and inspect all props for broken clips and make sure the motors are turning without any noise (make sure no sand got into them).  Reattach props and enjoy.

Hi Sparky,

Thanks for your feedback.

I did check the
battery as my pre flight check and it was firmly mounted.
Im just thinking if the mounting of the battery is well designed. As mentioned before i flew 120 flights and did 40km without an issue ..
Also I would assume that in case of the unmount due to wrong installation battery would slip out and remain untouched when hitting the sand

My battery shows no sign of damage except of the mentioned small regular bubble and missing clip .
2017-9-20
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

can you share a picture of the bubble as this might be an issue with the battery internals (swollen battery).  this is just an assumption but could make a better assumption if you provide us a picture.
2017-9-20
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Indonesia

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-20 05:37
can you share a picture of the bubble as this might be an issue with the battery internals (swollen battery).  this is just an assumption but could make a better assumption if you provide us a picture.

Hi ,

Pics here
https://ibb.co/gOakik
https://ibb.co/fpDub5

IIs there a way i can extract a flight log using iphone or android ?
Are they stored on SD card ?
Thanks
2017-9-20
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

It may be just me but I can't determine where there is a "bubble" forming on the battery.

Having a lot of computer experience (my career), most lipo battery failures that I've encountered include "swelling".  I could envision a "swelling" causing the battery to disconnect, but it's difficult to discern in the images.
2017-9-20
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.2

Australia

Maybe 'bubble' isn't the right word, but there is a clear seam separation, which likely has pushed out the battery clip on that side, causing it to detach from the Spark mid flight.

Flight or App data should show at least one of the cells  unbalanced, over/under voltage?

2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

fans99779563 Posted at 2017-9-20 05:13
Hi Mindy,
Thanks for fast response.

The Support will start a case for you and tell you how to send the drone in. Sorry to say that DJI does not provide Global Warranty, you can only claim warranty service in the corresponding repair service center. For your case, you may need to send the drone to HK and the drone can only be shipped to an address of the area which is covered by this repair center.
2017-9-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

The flight data can be extracted, here is a video for your reference.
2017-9-20
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like having the support team analyze your situation is likely the way to go.

In the meantime,  for the rest of us with some curiosity to learn some more about what happened in your situation and maybe do a little crowdsourced investigation, you could upload your flight record from your phone/tablet to the following site and then provide the resulting link to your logs here.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-9-20
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Australia

Kloo Gee Posted at 2017-9-20 20:36
Sounds like having the support team analyze your situation is likely the way to go.

In the meantime,  for the rest of us with some curiosity to learn some more about what happened in your situation and maybe do a little crowdsourced investigation, you could upload your flight record from your phone/tablet to the following site and then provide the resulting link to your logs here.

Hey,
I will do this once I will go back and have access to computer as now i have only iphone and android with me
2017-9-20
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-20 19:32
The Support will start a case for you and tell you how to send the drone in. Sorry to say that DJI does not provide Global Warranty, you can only claim warranty service in the corresponding repair service center. For your case, you may need to send the drone to HK and the drone can only be shipped to an address of the area which is covered by this repair center.

Hi Diana,

So what is the suggested way of proceeding as Im confused now

1. I will take my drone do Poland and send it to HK once support will ask me to do so. I will ask somebody of my friends to recieve it in indonesia where I bought it

2. I will return the drone to the shop I have bought it and the shop will need to proceed with the warranty process as i will not have any possibility to extract anything

3. I will sent it to HK and you will send me back the fixed drone to Poland and I will cover the shipment costs

Thanks for your suggestion in advance
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

fans99779563 Posted at 2017-9-21 00:03
Hi Diana,

So what is the suggested way of proceeding as Im confused now

If I were you, I would choose the first one. Besides, I would recommend you export the data first, provide the data to the support for analysis before you send the drone in. Have you got a case number from them? If yes, please provide me with it.
2017-9-21
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-21 01:17
If I were you, I would choose the first one. Besides, I would recommend you export the data first, provide the data to the support for analysis before you send the drone in. Have you got a case number from them? If yes, please provide me with it.

Hi Diana,

Case no 752302
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Okay, just checked this ticket, we've replied your email, please check it.
2017-9-21
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Indonesia

Hi Guys,

I have extracted all data here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uf1f4s2drg8kf90/AADfkQMRXpB6m5q7kr9zSrQ7a?dl=0

I didnt have time just to dump the accident data and i have extracted all. The event of the crash is
20/09 15:27. Flight VIC distance 220m flight time 5 min

Regards,
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans99779563 Posted at 2017-9-25 18:10
Hi Guys,

I have extracted all data here:

Thanks for the update. I would transfer the data for you.
2017-9-26
Use props
fans99779563
lvl.1
Poland

Hi All,

So the finalization of the story is the following (based on the feedback from DJI)

APP account: Czajfoos@outlook.com    incident date: 20/09/2017 13:27 (GMT+8)

1. The aircraft was working in GPS mode and resonde to RC command actively;
2. Pilot pushed pitch stick forward and throttle stick down, the flight record was disconncted at 04:23 with the height of 89 meters while flying forward and descending, disconnected point:-37.8022586,148.7420694;

They have the flight data (not whole as they are not able to maitain their logs properly), but conclusion is the following

1. Aircraft was responsive all the time before disconnected
2. Based on the GPS read they can map the surface to see that there is no obstacles near (it was on the beach)
3. Based on the flight data there was no wind or other errors
4. I think if there would be a collision there are some other errors showed on app

Conclusion:
1. They are not able to point any mistakes from the pilot side
2. They are not able (or don't want to) verify if this is the Dji fault

Then its pilot fault by definition (which result of 30% proposal which i find quite offensive)

I'm just wondering what could be a potential pilot fault when aircraft suddenly disconects on 89m alt and with the clear of obstacles area where it was flown.

2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules