3196 72 2017-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-12 05:57
I get the P4P today. I did notice a different serial number on the ticket so I called and asked. They said I was getting a different one. I then went on to ask for the report to why it crashed. He said there wouldn't be one because its getting replace. Kinda sucks but whatever. Hopefully it won't be an older P4P than the 2 month old one I had.

Dude, you are fortunate that it is working out like it is...it will be a factory refurb i.e. good as new or it could be a NIB either way both will be much better than what you had
2017-10-12
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 364826 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok I recieved it this past Friday and flew great and looks to be a new one. Not NIB but looks perfect. My only concern is it keeps telling me something about the magnetic problem. It said it the few times I started it for a flight and said if it keeps happening to call the technical support. Man what gives. I'm going to fly it today and see the exact message and call DJI. Fingers crossed,
2017-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-16 11:50
Ok I recieved it this past Friday and flew great and looks to be a new one. Not NIB but looks perfect. My only concern is it keeps telling me something about the magnetic problem. It said it the few times I started it for a flight and said if it keeps happening to call the technical support. Man what gives. I'm going to fly it today and see the exact message and call DJI. Fingers crossed,

If it's telling you that the compass is detecting Magnetic Interference, you need to look at where the Phantom is.
Are you putting it on or close to a lot of steel or an electric cable?
(Reinforced concrete is half steel).
Moving the drone away from the magnetic influence should be all that's required.
2017-10-16
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-16 15:20
If it's telling you that the compass is detecting Magnetic Interference, you need to look at where the Phantom is.
Are you putting it on or close to a lot of steel or an electric cable?
(Reinforced concrete is half steel).

Not my first rodeo to say the least. I'm fully aware of that
2017-10-16
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Ok went out and hooked my new iPad Air 2 wifi only and she flew great. Took some video and pics. I won't bore with a video but here is some pics of an old silo in Pearland looking towards Houston and a plane landing at Hobby airport.
DJI_0016-2.jpg
DJI_0015-2.jpg
DJI_0013-2.jpg
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-16 18:42
Ok went out and hooked my new iPad Air 2 wifi only and she flew great. Took some video and pics. I won't bore with a video but here is some pics of an old silo in Pearland looking towards Houston and a plane landing at Hobby airport.

Nice pictures, glad to hear that the drone works fine, hope you can enjoy it, happy flying!
2017-10-16
Use props
J-Man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61381 ft

United States

Okay, quick question then about getting a replacement... if the one you sent in for repair they keep... and send you someone else’s repaired drone, how does that work if it was registered with FAA using the SN?
2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

J-Man Posted at 2017-10-17 07:00
Okay, quick question then about getting a replacement... if the one you sent in for repair they keep... and send you someone else’s repaired drone, how does that work if it was registered with FAA using the SN?

Unless you have registered for commercial use and received an N number, it wasn't registered with a serial number.
Recreational registration (back when that was in operation) was for the owner, not the drone and no details of the drone were asked for.

btw    FAA recreational registration got cancelled months ago.
2017-10-17
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I did put a little video of the silo.  
2017-10-18
Use props
fans8a594c16
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29826 ft
United States

Looks like DJI treated you right, thats awesome! I know you have flown a bunch and probably know this but Hobby is a Class B airport. If flying in Pearland TX you were probably in restricted airspace.
2017-10-18
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans8a594c16 Posted at 2017-10-18 08:27
Looks like DJI treated you right, thats awesome! I know you have flown a bunch and probably know this but Hobby is a Class B airport. If flying in Pearland TX you were probably in restricted airspace.

Nope it wasn't restricted airspace.
2017-10-18
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-18 18:14
Nope it wasn't restricted airspace.
You were flying at least nearby to 5 airfields, 4 of which are in operation and one is a major airport.
7.9 SM from Ellington Field 'EFD'
5 SM from Hobby 'HOU' (center of field, closer to one of the runway's thresholds)
4.35 SM from Pearland Regional
4 SM from Houston Airpark
3.18 SM from A&A Flying Service
According to FAA JO 7400.11B and FAA sectional chart you were most definitely inside restricted airspace, see attached.  Specifically Class B SFC to 10,000 for Hobby.  Not only that, but as you can see on the attached map you were right next to an approach path for Rwy 35, and the departure path for Rwy 17.
You must check all of your flying areas thoroughly and not just rely on DJI's flawed NFZ system.  You were required to obtain clearance from Hobby Tower in order to operate in that airspace, if you did not then you were violating FAA regs and subject to significant penalty, please be cautious in future flight ops in these areas.
HOU.jpg
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Wow, it doesn't get much worse than that.  "Not restricted airspace" my foot!  Is DJI's NFZ database really that flawed?? Normally I hear about it limiting flight in places it shouldn't, but I haven't heard about the other way around.  4.3 NM from a class B airport and inside class B airspace?  That one takes the cake.  

DJI is kind of shooting themselves in the foot here.  If you're going to build this logic into the software, then it needs to be right.  Otherwise a certain subset of pilots are going to come to rely upon it.  And when it goes wrong they can turn around and try to blame DJI.
2017-10-18
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 23:08
Wow, it doesn't get much worse than that.  "Not restricted airspace" my foot!  Is DJI's NFZ database really that flawed?? Normally I hear about it limiting flight in places it shouldn't, but I haven't heard about the other way around.  4.3 NM from a class B airport and inside class B airspace?  That one takes the cake.  

DJI is kind of shooting themselves in the foot here.  If you're going to build this logic into the software, then it needs to be right.  Otherwise a certain subset of pilots are going to come to rely upon it.  And when it goes wrong they can turn around and try to blame DJI.

Archie...I mean Irate Retro this is the dirty little secret...
Let's be clear and fair, I don't know if Donny used or relied upon DJI's NFZ.  I'm assuming he did since he said he was good, giving him the benefit of the doubt.  On the DJI NFZ, It appears that the Hobby zone is a fairly small circle on the NFZ map plot compared to what is actual.  I partly understand why, I don't think there is one airport of any significance that has a perfect circle for it's airspace designation anymore in the states.  As long as they are using circles they wont be spot on because of that.  
I have noted many errors and inconsistencies in the DJI NFZ system.  There are either missing circles or circles where one should not be.  Also, some have red ones that should be none or just green and some have none or yellow where they should be red, and the list goes on.  However, I like it that way as it at least allows for more freedoms and less restriction in many areas where there are places that you can fly but if they put a circle in there it would no be so.  However, as you pointed out, it requires you to know what is around and what the airspace is and then avoid it or get clearance.  IF you don't then yes trouble will ensue for all.  I'd really really prefer that DJI just get the hell out of the airspace control business altogether, and just make good drones...I doubt that is going to happen.
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-19 02:07
Archie...I mean Irate Retro  this is the dirty little secret...
Let's be clear and fair, I don't know if Donny used or relied upon DJI's NFZ.  I'm assuming he did since he said he was good, giving him the benefit of the doubt.  On the DJI NFZ, It appears that the Hobby zone is a fairly small circle on the NFZ map plot compared to what is actual.  I partly understand why, I don't think there is one airport of any significance that has a perfect circle for it's airspace designation anymore in the states.  As long as they are using circles they wont be spot on because of that.  
I have noted many errors and inconsistencies in the DJI NFZ system.  There are either missing circles or circles where one should not be.  Also, some have red ones that should be none or just green and some have none or yellow where they should be red, and the list goes on.  However, I like it that way as it at least allows for more freedoms and less restriction in many areas where there are places that you can fly but if they put a circle in there it would no be so.  However, as you pointed out, it requires you to know what is around and what the airspace is and then avoid it or get clearance.  IF you don't then yes trouble will ensue for all.  I'd really really prefer that DJI just get the hell out of the airspace control business altogether, and just make good drones...I doubt that is going to happen.

"I'd really really prefer that DJI just get the hell out of the airspace control business altogether"
+1

". and just make good drones...I doubt that is going to happen."
+1
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 23:08

"Is DJI's NFZ database really that flawed??"
It sure is, for Denmark there are more false area covered than correct and even so not all the right places are included ...
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-16 18:42

Congrats with it, hopefully it is both stable and have a decent range.

Happy Flying.
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-19 05:34
"I'd really really prefer that DJI just get the hell out of the airspace control business altogether"
+1

Wishful thinking, I know...
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-19 08:41

Yeah, it look like some are more lucky than other with this PoS ...

I just found out today that the one i has seem to be produced in Dec. 2016, so i think it is one of the early ones even i bought it new (apparently) early June.
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-19 09:04
Yeah, it look like some are more lucky than other with this PoS ...

I just found out today that the one i has seem to be produced in Dec. 2016, so i think it is one of the early ones even i bought it new (apparently) early June.

What does that mean?
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-19 08:41

Btw. did you notice this thread?
What some was afraid of in your thread that got closed seem to happen now.
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-19 09:09
Btw. did you notice this thread?
What some was afraid of in your thread that got closed seem to happen now.

Yes I saw that thread...not surprised, problem with playing airspace control authority from a land far far away...

OH YES...I'm very sure that that was just one of many reasons!
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

What part of it? :-)

There has in the many threads been speculating about that it is the early batches of P4P that has most isues after the fatal FW release. If so mine for sure is a Piece of Sh.. .
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-19 09:24
What part of it? :-)

There has in the many threads been speculating about that it is the early batches of P4P that has most isues after the fatal FW release. If so mine for sure is a Piece of Sh.. .

Oh
You mean the FW for early models are more susceptible?  I thought most FW problems where for just P4s?
Maybe you should send it back for warranty review, if it's still under warranty...
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-19 09:33
Oh
You mean the FW for early models are more susceptible?  I thought most FW problems where for just P4s?
Maybe you should send it back for warranty review, if it's still under warranty...

I can imagine more scenarios regarding this.

one would be that a batch has been produced with some different components than the most, this can be done due lack of available parts when the model was new and production high. at the time the FW could figure it out and make it right with those components, later optimization of the code and not having items from those batches could have done that no problem has been found before to late.

Another scenario could be that, as far i have figured out, not all modules have been updated in every FW release. Being stored in a box or not upgraded too long might have given the issues when suddenly a new FW jumping over several revisions, it might could be solved by upgrading version by version up to latest.

Unfortunately i have not found all the earlier versions so can not test out the latter possibility but what i have found is that going back to RC v.1.1.1.1 (Dec 9 2016) and AC v.01.01.0203 (Dec 9 2016), when presented to DJI's servers it will jump directly to RC v.1.2.00 (June 8 2017) and AC v.01.04.0602 (June 8 2017) so missing a lot of versions between.

All in all only DJI might know why some has the problem others don't, but with all those "Send it in" we have seen even everybody knows a FW started the trouble, i somehow see it as a controlled callback/replacement of the affected items.
2017-10-19
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-18 22:45
You were flying at least nearby to 5 airfields, 4 of which are in operation and one is a major airport.
7.9 SM from Ellington Field 'EFD'
5 SM from Hobby 'HOU' (center of field, closer to one of the runway's thresholds)

That's sucks. I'll just stay below the highest tree then. Might just sell it then its thats the case. They really should just limit ones height to the highest building or tree within so many feet.
Thanks for the info. Sorry for being an idiot
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-19 19:27
That's sucks. I'll just stay below the highest tree then. Might just sell it then its thats the case. They really should just limit ones height to the highest building or tree within so many feet.
Thanks for the info. Sorry for being an idiot

I don't think being misinformed makes you an idiot, and now you've learned some more about airspace structure and regs.
The problem is not the drone, it's where you were at, the Houston metroplex area is not exactly drone user friendly and they have their share of airfields for sure.  
Just a few miles south of there (from where you were) and you'd be in Class D or E airspace and then just limited to 400'
I can't tell you what to do, but I don't think bailing on the hobby is necessary.

You are welcome
Enjoy and I wish you the best!
2017-10-19
Use props
Donny O'Neil Jr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-19 19:47
I don't think being misinformed makes you an idiot, and now you've learned some more about airspace structure and regs.
The problem is not the drone, it's where you were at, the Houston metroplex area is not exactly drone user friendly and they have their share of airfields for sure.  
Just a few miles south of there (from where you were) and you'd be in Class D or E airspace and then just limited to 400'

Thanks and yeah its just frustrating. I fly at the High school a lot for my daughter who's on the drill team. This area like most big cities aren't drone friendly I can see. The map does seem to have more and more updates to the map. Just last year I could fly at my house and a few months back that all got changed.
2017-10-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Donny O'Neil Jr Posted at 2017-10-20 03:54
Thanks and yeah its just frustrating. I fly at the High school a lot for my daughter who's on the drill team. This area like most big cities aren't drone friendly I can see. The map does seem to have more and more updates to the map. Just last year I could fly at my house and a few months back that all got changed.

Super, not throwing in the towel!
Just fly smart, keep up your SA, and enjoy the hobby...and stay informed

Agree, that right now the biggest impediment to our ability to fly is DJI's flawed airspace control efforts
2017-10-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-19 19:47
Just a few miles south of there and you'd be in Class D or E airspace and then just limited to 400'

Class D?  You get an F.
2017-10-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-20 04:09
Class D?  You get an F.

Man you are HARSH!

Correct, should have said G or E...no F
So I got carried away with my alphabet...jeese
I hated when we went to this designation system primarily because of this very issue, oh well win some lose some
2017-10-20
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-20 04:24
Man you are HARSH!

Correct, should have said G or E...no F

Hey I was just teasing you.  *I* know what you meant, but a lot of other folks are going to read this too.

I too hated the airspace reclassification when it came out ('94 as I recall?) and I still get it messed up once in a while.  We can blame the rest of the world for that.  Same with this silly "line up and wait" stuff instead of "position and hold".
2017-10-20
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-20 04:26
Hey I was just teasing you.  *I* know what you meant, but a lot of other folks are going to read this too.

I too hated the airspace reclassification when it came out ('94 as I recall?) and I still get it messed up once in a while.  We can blame the rest of the world for that.  Same with this silly "line up and wait" stuff instead of "position and hold".

No no it's cool, you were correct I was wrong and it is important to correct as you say others will get the wrong info...

Yeah, what the hell was wrong with "on to hold"...line up & wait sounds like something you do at McDonalds
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules