Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Quadfather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439026 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi,

I heard (and seen on youtube) that some drone pilots got some heat from bystanders / people around you when flying - I would say that I may have been lucky because all got is people intetrested in what I am doing and if it is fun - which is not optimal ofc when flying but they have been friendly so far.

What is your experience when it comes to this?
2017-9-21
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried to be discrete when I fly my copters. I fly mostly in the morning or late in the afternoon because not many people are around that time, and I get better lighting anyway. I always scouted out the places I find interesting to shoot first to avoid any unnecessary LEO entanglement.
2017-9-21
Use props
E3M6N3S
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121713 ft
United States

Not had one comment, but that might be because of my tattooed sleeves, which seems to intimidate people.
2017-9-21
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

I was flying early morning in a residental area and a lady in her robe to me told land immediately. I didn't know my rights and I didn't want the cops called, so I followed suit.
2017-9-21
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Most people seem genuinely interested and no problems at all.  That said the mavic IS annoying with the noise and can be thought of as intrusive so i fly away from people or at times a day when people aren't around the area.  There's no sense in actively going out to upset people.
You do see some drone operators who are in the "screw everyone else" mindset though who insist on flying around even when it is causing an annoyance albeit legally.
2017-9-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had a couple of guys just ask about the copter who were also pilots too. They owned different copters but asking about DJI.
2017-9-21
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-9-21 07:00
I tried to be discrete when I fly my copters. I fly mostly in the morning or late in the afternoon because not many people are around that time, and I get better lighting anyway. I always scouted out the places I find interesting to shoot first to avoid any unnecessary LEO entanglement.

That is the exactly way I try to fly allways.
2017-9-21
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-21 09:34
That is the exactly way I try to fly allways.

Me too! But I'll be damned if I'm going to let some old bat in a bathrobe come up and rudely demand that I land right now.
2017-9-21
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2608901 ft
  • >>>
United States

Common courtesy is key here. I always try my best to avoid flying over or near people and definitely keep my altitude up. Few weeks ago I was fishing on a lake and out of nowhere some asshat just hovered overhead at less than 50' effectively disturbing everyone.
2017-9-21
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Away from the Grump's, dog walkers, tree huggers, old people, early in the morning, late in the evening. If there's going to be a killer sunset or sunrise - As long as I'm away from folk they can get lost unless they ask me what I'm doing in a positive manner. I try my best to educate but some people...........Where I fly, the people who walk that route are used to me now.
2017-9-21
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I try to pick my spots. I mostly fly in remote locations and I've never had an issue with anybody being grumpy. If they approach me with questions, I try to be a good ambassador of the sport and I've let a few people use my Goggles so they can see what it's like.

I think the thing that blows everybody away is when you do a RTH while you hold a conversation with them. They just can't get over the fact that the MP will hit the landing pad every time by itself.
2017-9-21
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Most people are more interested in the drone (guys mostly). Most don't care in my experience - if someone is grumpy, and it's questionable to fly where they are (like a park) -- I'll just leave, no need to start drama over a toy.
2017-9-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most importantly I try my very best to give people their personal space, I won't fly over or near them.  If they come close and act interested on what I am doing in a friendly way I approach them and ask if they are interested on what I am doing.  Some will ask if they could even try.  Overall, I have had positive feedback on people around me when I fly my drone, just respect others and most will do the same.
2017-9-21
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Most people are more curious about the drone than anything else. That being said, I do carry a copy of the Australian CASA Regulations regarding UAV, so if they want to argue the point, I have hard facts on hand.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

They looked at me just like a female driver, curious but step back.
2017-9-22
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

gnirtS Posted at 2017-9-21 07:59
Most people seem genuinely interested and no problems at all.  That said the mavic IS annoying with the noise and can be thought of as intrusive so i fly away from people or at times a day when people aren't around the area.  There's no sense in actively going out to upset people.
You do see some drone operators who are in the "screw everyone else" mindset though who insist on flying around even when it is causing an annoyance albeit legally.

Agree with you on people being irritated by noise
2017-9-22
Use props
Scott Ferguson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1425223 ft
United States

I find that a lot of people are paranoid thinking that our drones are some sort of super quiet and super stealth machine that can invade their lives and read their personal papers from a mile high, but so far when I show them the camera view on my iPad and bring it down for them to hear the drone they soon realize these machines aren't what most think.
2017-9-22
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-22 02:16

You're a superhero!
2017-9-22
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2017-9-21 14:11
I try to pick my spots. I mostly fly in remote locations and I've never had an issue with anybody being grumpy. If they approach me with questions, I try to be a good ambassador of the sport and I've let a few people use my Goggles so they can see what it's like.

I think the thing that blows everybody away is when you do a RTH while you hold a conversation with them. They just can't get over the fact that the MP will hit the landing pad every time by itself.

"I try to pick my spots. I mostly fly in remote locations"

and keep higher altitude until I arrive at destination.  
2017-9-22
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never had any problems, just a few curious folks. I live in rural Alabama and most folks are super friendly.
2017-9-22
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I have the same experience as you have, from different countries in the EU region not only "home". I think respect is very important. I compare it little bit with Street photography, if you stick the camera in someones face they might be very upset. Happy flying
2017-9-22
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

I choose my flight areas carefully, but a drone seems to be a magnet for curious people.

I find those that are paranoid are usually the "tin foil hat wearing" type.... the same type that think they are special enough to have a NFZ above there property because of the secrets and information they are withholding from the "powers that be"

The interested people are always friendly and amazed at the level of technology available to the humble consumer.

It amazes me that I can sit on a park bench with my MP at 50+mtr altitude and no one will approach me, but the minute it comes down and becomes audible/visible - it becomes an attraction.

2017-9-22
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

I took a still photo once at an elevation of about 300 feet.  When people ask me about the drone, I show them that photo.  Once they realize that a drone pilot can't read their newspaper while they sit on their toilet, they seem okay with that, and I go about my business.
2017-9-22
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

KryptoNyte Posted at 2017-9-22 15:40
I took a still photo once at an elevation of about 300 feet.  When people ask me about the drone, I show them that photo.  Once they realize that a drone pilot can't read their newspaper while they sit on their toilet, they seem okay with that, and I go about my business.

That 300' photo is a little dishonest, dontcha think?  I just tell neighbors the truth, and explain that the only reason I'm reading their newspaper while they're on the toilet is because I can't afford my own subscription after paying for my Mavic.  
2017-9-22
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-22 02:16

... and I generally try to stay clear of "Susan's" drone.

2017-9-22
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-22 15:45
That 300' photo is a little dishonest, dontcha think?  I just tell neighbors the truth, and explain that the only reason I'm reading their newspaper while they're on the toilet is because I can't afford my own subscription after paying for my Mavic.

The point is that what we're doing here is interesting, and quite amazing at this moment in time, but the resolution really isn't fine enough to do any damage, unless you have some intention of doing damage, can't really help you there, spanky.
2017-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have said this alot.  a lot of people are not going to bother you or they are genuinely interested.   only rare handful that have no meaning to their lives and thus wish to make other people's lives a living hell.

i had a few grumpy old people try to give me crap, 99% of the time its those people that say they know what is what,  that know exactly zero..  just toy with them and basic FAA guideline questions, like ask how much air space do they own (answer: only immediately usable airspace, aka not much, could argue top of trees or maybe less), or ask them what the min floor is in feet AGL to fly drone at (answer is is no min floor in AGL for quadcopters), etc etc.. just toy with them until they leave or get the police..  trust me while the police know exactly square root of jack squat with FAA laws/drones, they probably going to trust your knowledge you present to them vs some random angry person..they thus far have trusted what i present vs some angry lady claming im spying on a grandaughter that isnt there..
2017-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules