NOOB Lives Lifetime UAV Flying...Sort of...Part I: The Buy...
405 4 2017-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Thus far my journey down the yellow brick road of UAV flying has been brief, with an emphasis on brief, in that journey I have lived a lifetime in the world of drone ops, all in a matter of weeks.  Here is my multi part story.  Up front, let me say for the experienced folk they may find some humor and or irony in this but not much more while those new to this sport I hope they will walk away with some valuable nuggets to help them in their own journey.
Several weeks ago, I was excited to get my brand spanking new Phantom 4 Pro and get it set up and ready to go.  I had already received the DJI Goggles, more on that later, a few weeks before.  My excitement was even more so as our family reunion was right around the corner and that was the reason I got in to UAV flying as several family members bring theirs to the event.  Anyway, I'll start the story with the order process.
At the time, the Goggles were showing a backorder delay so I decided to go ahead and order them first, and then order the Phantom later.  However, the Goggles came almost right away, while another back order item came more than a week after DJI's stated timeline for it to return to stock.  Lesson learned here, DJI does not necessarily have a clear handle on their inventory flow and what is on the website is a rough estimate at best.  Next, I ordered some other accessory items to support my planned kit from Amazon, things like a hard case (Pelican) for the UAV, RC, & extras, a tablet (Samsung Tab A), etc.  All arrived as expected.  Next came the big day, to order the Phantom and supporting DJI gear.
The online order process went well; however, I had some problem or glitch with the payment.  A day or so later I was asked, via e-mail, to provide proof to DJI that I owned the CC I used to make my purchase, which did not happen before when ordering the Goggles.  As a result, that took several days to clear beyond the normal process.  In the meantime a funny thing happened, DJI offered an end of summer deal where you'd buy a P4P and get some free items with it (about $55 worth of stuff).  Well it just so happened that I ordered nearly the same items they were offering and would cut my bill down accordingly, which would allow me to add some things I wanted and remain in budget.  So I fired off an e-mail to customer support saying hey my order has yet to be shipped or processed (thanks to the payment delay I guess) and I was ordering the same gear, just about, so how about you just throw in the one item I did not order on their giveaway list and credit me accordingly.  Answer, no can do, you have to cancel your order and then reorder.  Well I didn't really want to do that, but budget wise it was a no brainer to take advantage of the offer.  That whole process took nearly three days and unfortunately or not, my order had still not shipped.  I promptly got on line, canceled my original order, and reordered taking advantage of the deal, plus adding the additional items that ended up adding just $1 more than my original, but with a lot more stuff, can't have too much stuff.  Lesson learned, DJI’s order process is direct and black & white, but efficient, while customer service is responsive they are not flexible.

Next, the waiting game, the UAV and stuff came in two boxes and shipped out of California, it shipped out in just a few days and arrived in about a week.  Actually, the full process for the reorder went faster than the original first order starting out.   
Look for Part II: My UAV & the Process…
2017-9-22
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Experiences like this is why I have to chuckle every time I see a moderator or customer recommend buying things from the DJI Store.  When you buy from Amazon you WILL have it in 2 business days.  With DJI Store you can expect lengthy delays.  And from the sound of it, you get to be treated like a CC thief too.
2017-9-22
Use props
James Whenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

I also went with a package deal, but with BuyDig. Everything came as advertised (New not refurbished). Later on, the adverts started showing up on fB and email. The problem is that it is for the Phantom 4 Pro + only, not the package, and the price is just under what the package was. It always pays to shop around.
2017-9-22
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

James Whenman Posted at 2017-9-22 07:22
I also went with a package deal, but with BuyDig. Everything came as advertised (New not refurbished). Later on, the adverts started showing up on fB and email. The problem is that it is for the Phantom 4 Pro + only, not the package, and the price is just under what the package was. It always pays to shop around.

I could not agree more, although after closely watching DJI for a year I found that they rarely offer deals of any great consequence.  Except when they are over stocked or closing a product line, then it's time to buy if you are willing to wait that long.  Otherwise they offer tease deals like the one I talked about where they throw in a few goodies to sweeten the pot and maybe get someone like me to get off the bench and buy.
Other retailers and on-line stores will offer deals but mostly for packaged items like you mentioned and the discount has more to do with the add on stuff than the UAV.  I'm fairly sure DJI has a proprietary price lock on their current product line that does not permit resellers to sell below DJI's stated retail price.  To be fair, they are not the only ones who do this.
So you take what you can get when you can get it and what you are able to get.
2017-9-22
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-22 05:17
Experiences like this is why I have to chuckle every time I see a moderator or customer recommend buying things from the DJI Store.  When you buy from Amazon you WILL have it in 2 business days.  With DJI Store you can expect lengthy delays.  And from the sound of it, you get to be treated like a CC thief too.

While I would not consider my experience quite that cynically, you are correct, it is not the standard online purchase experience you are used to seeing when using the likes of Amazon or similar retail operations.  However, most of those online stores are either US based or have major market ops in the US and most US citizens have no idea that foreign company sales do not operate anything like what we in the US are used to seeing and having.
It will be a different experience, but I must say all in all it was not horrible and when it worked smoothly it worked well.  I still have no idea about the CC thing as before and after I have had no problem with making purchases with them but that one was bothersome, that's for sure.
2017-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules