Why does DJI call response to thread, "REMIND"?
1698 9 2017-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Dui bu chi, wo de Jung wen bu hao, keshr wo yao dong wheishenme "remind"?

(translation from Mandarin to English)

I'm sorry, my Chinese is not very good, however I want to understand why "remind" is the word used for "response" in the DJI Forum tab under alerts.
Does this drive anyone else buggy?  I know English is a dificult lanugage, I've even helped Chinese sign manufactures in the past create English translations that wouldn't emberass their companies.  I'm just wondering... why "remind"?
2017-9-21
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

THANK YOU!

That has been bugging me for a long time too.  I think "REMIND" is chinglish for "REPLY" . pero, ako hindi alam kong si na sabi mo because I don't speak Chinese... or Chinglish.

wongbook.jpg
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we'll forward it to the appropriate team. BTW, what's the meaning of your first sentence?
2017-9-21
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-21 19:35
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we'll forward it to the appropriate team. BTW, what's the meaning of your first sentence?

LOL, I was being silly, since DJI is a Chinese company, I wrote in Mandarin "I'm sorry my Chinese isn't very good but I want to know why "remind"".

I'm 75% convinced that based on behaviors and management of the forum,  the majority t of the DJI Forum Administrators are Chinese.  I was simply trying to see if I was correct.  But then again, my Mandarin is fading me much like the rest of my life, LOL.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-9-22 14:30
LOL, I was being silly, since DJI is a Chinese company, I wrote in Mandarin "I'm sorry my Chinese isn't very good but I want to know why "remind"".

I'm 75% convinced that based on behaviors and management of the forum,  the majority t of the DJI Forum Administrators are Chinese.  I was simply trying to see if I was correct.  But then again, my Mandarin is fading me much like the rest of my life, LOL.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, you are welcomed to point out our error in the Forum, we will keep improving our language ability to make your experience with us better.
2017-9-22
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

I did write under my Mandarin text "translation from Chinese to English".  Sorry for the confusion.
2017-9-23
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

I did write under my Mandarin text "translation from Chinese to English".  Sorry for the confusion.
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-9-23 12:25

No problem, thank you for pointing out our error, will keep improving, appreciate your understanding.
2017-9-23
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-9-23 12:25

I wasn't confused by your comments or question.  While I sure don't know Mandarin, I see a lot of things here that don't quite make sense.  However, I'm new and as you point out it is a Chinese company so I try to roll with the punches and poor English.  I sure couldn't put up a Chinese website or forum.  Although, I'd like to think I'd hire someone like you to help make it work, which is another thing I wonder about.  Doesn't anyone in DJI realize they need that kind of expertise, it seems at times they do not.
We had a saying in my past life, this is a "WHY" question and most times there are either too many answers to one or they don't always bring the clarity we seek.  Either way I did find it funny that the mods did not seem to get your intent...possible further communication issues?  Regardless maybe you will cause some improvements in your efforts.
Cheers
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_gZP0khWlhjwM
New

Canada

Well, I don't call that an instance of "Chinglish", but more likely a mere mistake.  In any possible way the "response" won't be translated into "remind", not even with a machine.

Talking about machine translation, there are indeed quite a lot of funny examples of Chinglish, like shown below:

[Chinese text: Latte Coffee]

[Chinese text: Mixed Spicy Beef]

[Chinese text: Do Not Use Your Mobile Phone Here]

Many of these amusing translation fails were caused by machine translation that lacked basic understanding to human language. But it's said that Google's AI Translator has been making great improvements these days...
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules