Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Vs Mavic Optiflow Sensitivity
2497 20 2017-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Does anyone know if there is a change / update in the downward sensor sensitivity on the Spark from the Mavic pro?

I can advise that indoors under atifical lighting the Spark is completely flyable whereas the Mavic is not.

I would say that the Spark is at least 2-3 times more sensitive than the Mavic Pro.

It's not a related "one off" to my specific Spark and Mavic.

I have 2 Mavic Pros and 5 Sparks. (Thank God DJI only released the Spark in 5 colours)  

It is consistant and significant with all of them.

I was assuming that the new Mavic Platinum would have the updated optics but I see no indication that that, is the case.

Does anyone have any specific data?

Cheers

2017-9-21
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

May I ask why so many of the same quads?  Work related?  I have nothing constructive to add as I never fly either quad indoors.
2017-9-21
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-9-21 14:10
May I ask why so many of the same quads?  Work related?  I have nothing constructive to add as I never fly either quad indoors.

I am an Enthusiast. I have many Quads. I don't remember the actual number.

I like to have 2 of everything that way I can quickly determine issues. The Sparks that was an issue that I could not make up my mind on the colour of the second one. Sometimes I get a bit OCD and must complete the set.

Cheers.

2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

There are three main differences. The Mavic Pro Platinum has an extended flight time of 30 minutes and an increased hover time of 27 minutes. It also has 4dB (60% noise power) aircraft noise reduction. Finally, the aircraft comes in a sleek platinum finish. I do not see any difference of optics.
2017-9-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, good DJI customer!
No I can't help you out so far (don't plan on buying both drones) and Susan did not provide you with an answer.
2017-9-22
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-22 00:54
There are three main differences. The Mavic Pro Platinum has an extended flight time of 30 minutes and an increased hover time of 27 minutes. It also has 4dB (60% noise power) aircraft noise reduction. Finally, the aircraft comes in a sleek platinum finish. I do not see any difference of optics.

Thanks Susan.

Its a pity that this feature from the Spark did not make it to the Platinum.
2017-9-22
Use props
marlowe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

bjr981s:  I have 2 Mavic Pros and 5 Sparks...

Maybe someone can create a version of the app that allows you to control a swarm.
2018-1-27
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

The Spark only uses one bottom camera (optical flow) for VPS but Mavic uses all 4 cameras (2 Front + 2 bottom). The Mavic uses what is know as Visual Inertial Odometer (VIO) which requires natural/non-flickering light to function well as it operates at a much higher FPS which is able to see the flickering of most artificial lighting.
2018-1-28
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-1-28 07:22
The Spark only uses one bottom camera (optical flow) for VPS but Mavic uses all 4 cameras (2 Front + 2 bottom). The Mavic uses what is know as Visual Inertial Odometer (VIO) which requires natural/non-flickering light to function well as it operates at a much higher FPS which is able to see the flickering of most artificial lighting.

Thanks for the answer.

Its a good answer but not the case in the scenarios I have tested.

I tested under LED lighting. its DC based and no flickering.

The Spark outperforms the Mavic by a 1,000 to 1.

Spark flies perfectly Mavic cannot lock. The floor I test on is African Slate so it is uniquely patterned over the whole floor.

I just ordered a Mavic Air. I will test it the same way and compare with my Sparks and Mavic Pros.

Cheers Brian

2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IR Vs. sonic
2018-1-29
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5QeaIZP
lvl.1

United States

Completely different camera technologies and use case applications...

The Mavic Pro cameras are highly sensitive to IR light (comes in huge amounts from the sun) and have a fixed high frame rate, the Spark uses generic off low end camera which will have IR filtering..

What does all this mean...

Mavic cameras will suffer hugely indoors, specially under artificial lighting where both flicker and lack of IR lighting... however it will outpreform the off the shelf camera in range and accuracy outside in a clear day.  

The spark uses a standard off the self camera used in low end smartphones... these work great indoors but they suffer with a very narrow dynamic range which gets auto compensated for and usually means that they comes some what useless fairly quickly with a shorter range.

Also the mavic uses as stated before, a VIO which is more about measuring changes... this is why the spark usually is better about landing exactly where it has taken off from than the mavic as well.. the mavic camera isn’t built for pictures but rather for measurements and instead mostly using GPS and logic and camera is looking for a specific pattern it ID’d on take off which I’m sure if you got to view it wouldn’t look at all like what you think.  ... spark uses its camera mostly and GPS is only used to put it close to take off position.. then camera is comparing its take off scene...

Having watched both attempting to navigate and compensate, I can say for certain the mavic cameras are more of measurement devices than cameras and the sparks camera is just that a camera...  

2018-1-29
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5QeaIZP
lvl.1

United States

I wish I could easily edit my post... the mobile site sucks...

I mean the VPS cameras exclusively in my previous post... just keep that all in mind.
2018-1-29
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Im not sure what you are referring to in your post.

We are talking about the Downward facing VPS camera only. The Spark just works 1000% better in low light. It also works as good as, if not better than the Mavic, in bright sunlight.

My OP was just asking if the Platinum had the newer better Spark VPS system.

I will post again when I test the Air in the same conditions.
2018-1-29
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Singapore

bjr981s Posted at 2018-1-29 04:16
Im not sure what you are referring to in your post.

We are talking about the Downward facing VPS camera only. The Spark just works 1000% better in low light. It also works as good as, if not better than the Mavic, in bright sunlight.

Maybe you just need to calibrate the VPS on your Mavic.. The Mavic's VIO VPS is far superior to the Optical flow tech on the spark.

The Platinum uses the exact same VPS as the Mavic Pro. The Mavic Air also uses the VIO VPS but has 2 additional cameras (Total of 6 cameras) for even better performance..

2018-1-29
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Singapore

djiuser_MP6tU5QeaIZP Posted at 2018-1-29 02:29
Completely different camera technologies and use case applications...

The Mavic Pro cameras are highly sensitive to IR light (comes in huge amounts from the sun) and have a fixed high frame rate, the Spark uses generic off low end camera which will have IR filtering..

The Mavic also uses Cameras for Vision positioning BUT at a much higher FPS and resolution. The big difference is in the image recognition technology and the fact that Mavic uses 4 (yes FOUR) cameras for VPS while Spark only has 1 single camera on the bottom for VPS. Since Spark uses optical flow with a 2D image, it can work as a closer range than the 3D VPS on the Mavic..
2018-1-29
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Singapore

Just to add on, the Mavic also uses its two front vision sensors for VPS so if there's anything moving in front of it, it'll affect the hovering stability of the Mavic..
2018-1-29
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Still don't understand what you are trying to say. The Spark also has forward detection.

I have 2 Mavics and 5 Sparks. Technology aside. The Mavic is useless in low light the Spark is not.
2018-1-31
Use props
Artob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 160236 ft
Indonesia

bjr981s Posted at 2018-1-31 06:01
Still don't understand what you are trying to say. The Spark also has forward detection.

I have 2 Mavics and 5 Sparks. Technology aside. The Mavic is useless in low light the Spark is not.

Have you compare with the mavic air?
really looking for your update.
While the spec sheet telling us that mavic is 100 times more advance but in reality spark is better at indoor flying...this is the lesson i took from your experience
2018-2-4
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Artob Posted at 2018-2-4 17:27
Have you compare with the mavic air?
really looking for your update.
While the spec sheet telling us that mavic is 100 times more advance but in reality spark is better at indoor flying...this is the lesson i took from your experience

Thats Correct. Spark is Great indoors and the vision position works perfectly in low light. The Mavic Pro does not work in low light at all.

I have ordered a Mavic Air. No ship date yet. As soon as it turns up I will test and respond here with a comparison.

Cheers

2018-2-4
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Well my Mavic Air arrived today. I will have a go at tuning the flight controller from the app but if that does not help, I will be putting it back in the box and waiting till DJI retune the flight controller with a FW update

From memory the Spark had issues as well in the early days of its release. It was un-flyable on Wifi but could be flown on OTG using a Mavic Pro cable.

It is jerky and flicks about too radically. Its like it is applying braking to its own maintain level control. I will search around the net and see what other people are saying about this issue.

The Indoor capability is about the same as the Mavic Pro. Don't fly indoors. The Spark wins indoors hands down. You can even fly around your house going through doors from the DJI Goggles.

Cheers Brian
2018-2-8
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 2018-2-8 21:45
Well my Mavic Air arrived today. I will have a go at tuning the flight controller from the app but if that does not help, I will be putting it back in the box and waiting till DJI retune the flight controller with a FW update

From memory the Spark had issues as well in the early days of its release. It was un-flyable on Wifi but could be flown on OTG using a Mavic Pro cable.

Ok 2 FW updates later and the Air is a totally different machine.

The Stability has improved 10 fold and the Sensors now seem to work well.

The jerkiness has all gone now and it feels good to fly.

It flies indoors also as well as the Spark in low light. I suspect that its suffering from a bit more prop wash around furniture etc than the Spark that makes it seem a little bit less stable.

Its a great machine and I am glad I bought it now.

Cheers.

2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules