Spotlight, laser combo option - Picatinny Mounts
1230 13 2017-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Owewolf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 508005 ft
South Africa

Here is my IDEA, perhaps ists being done your 2 cents please.

I was looking for a SPOTLIGHT I mean bright light 300-500m range, I've searched and come up a few option
like  --   http://www.ebay.com/itm/162556674602   , a  top mounted light but its too weak in my opinion.

Now if you replaced the light, used that mounting and used a Handgun, Spotlight, laser combo,
like --  http://www.ebay.com/itm/172709143777?var=471498299773
you would have just the thing I needed.

Well this got me thinking why not look at mounting a Handgun, Spotlight, laser combo unit with that Picatinny Mount straight on to the Mavic somehow.
Now there must be someone out there who can assist and work with such an idea.

If we create a Picatinny Mount straight on to the Mavic we open a world of possabilities.

I belive it would be better to have it above the bird so as not to interfear with the sensors.
Another location cold be behind the rear gear by adding gear (leg) extenders.

It would be nice to pitch the light and laser down, or be able to adjust the angle.

Dont forget a Compass Swing or Calibration before flying after mounting any such item.

My 2 cents, please add to this plan.

2017-9-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Why would you want that?
2017-9-22
Use props
Owewolf
lvl.1
South Africa

The Captain wants to SEE at night mate
2017-9-22
Use props
Scott Ferguson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1425223 ft
United States

I can see maybe adding a light but here in the US it's not a good idea to have a flying laser light it would definitely get you in trouble.Furthermore I wouldn't agree with adding that much weight to my mavic but just my 2 cents
2017-9-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Owewolf Posted at 2017-9-22 03:00
The Captain wants to SEE at night mate

Aha, I get that point.
Was confused because he pointed to a laser.
Unfortunately we are not allowed to fly in the dark in NL, so that won't be my next purchase
2017-9-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Would be better mounted beneath.  No ferrous metals - re-calibration will not prevent a disaster. Consider the weight and CG. I have a fairly powerful (and expensive) LED flashlight (with an aluminum body)  which would probably work. But not something I'd have even the remotest interest in doing.
2017-9-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

In addition to the other arguments, stay away from the GPS antennas.
2017-9-22
Use props
Owewolf
lvl.1
South Africa

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-9-22 09:42
In addition to the other arguments, stay away from the GPS antennas.

This Spot, Laser combo weighs 112g is this too mush ?
What the max weight for a Mavic
2017-9-22
Use props
Owewolf
lvl.1
South Africa

What the max weight a Mavic can fly confortabley with.
This Spot, Laser combo weighs 112g only.

2017-9-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Owewolf Posted at 2017-9-22 10:03
What the max weight a Mavic can fly confortabley with.
This Spot, Laser combo weighs 112g only.

The way it came.  

The harder you work it, the shorter the flight (battery drain).  The harder you work it, the shorter the component parts like motors, arm mounts, etc.  You can load it until you can barely lift off if you want.  But you have to deal with the results.  You can lift weights off center if you like, but you'll work a set of motors harder than the rest of them, shortening the life, etc.
2017-9-22
Use props
wildbillb
New
Flight distance : 5748 ft

United States

most picatinny accessories are for firearms, and WAY too heavy.  if you want a laser, they can be found on ebay and very lightweight.
2017-11-29
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I would not wver do any compass cal after mounting such a thing....accident waiting to happen
2017-11-29
Use props
Owewolf
lvl.1
South Africa

Sorry I disagree, I would say whenever you add something like that or anything else too the aircraft it has the potential of interfering with the magnetic field, and it would be imperative to do a compass calibration. In my other life I'm an aircraft engineer and whenever we change or add equipment to an aircraft it is mandatory to do what we call a compass swing, same thing as compass calibration.
2017-12-2
Use props
Owewolf
lvl.1
South Africa

wildbillb Posted at 2017-11-29 16:12
most picatinny accessories are for firearms, and WAY too heavy.  if you want a laser, they can be found on ebay and very lightweight.

Im fully aware of what a picatinny mount is, what I'm saying is a mount like that would be useful to add accessories whatever they may be.
2017-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules