Wifi won't connect at start-up
5333 17 2015-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MalcB
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've had this problem a few times but can't find a link to anyone who's solved it !
I power up the wifi extender and controller but I quite often can't see the Phantom on my iPhone 5. I have to reset the Extender before the iPhone sees the Phantom but then need to Bind to the drone again.
This seems to happen to often just to be a coincidence and it feels more like a setting I haven't realised or a bug.

I'm up to date with all the firmware and software versions and using the new controller and I'm just getting fed-up with the first flight taking so much effort. Anyone had the same issue ?

2015-4-5
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I use an iPhone 5s - if I am near any other wi-fi networks, it seems to take a few times trying to connect from the phone before the phantom wi-fi connection holds.  If I am out in the fields where the phantom is the only wi-fi, sometimes I have to power the ext once or twice before the phone sees it, but once it does the lock is solid.  I have never had to re-bind the extender.  Try just power cycling the extender and waiting about a minute.  It does take like up to 30 seconds or so before the wi-fi network is established and joinable by the phone.
2015-4-5
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Guys,.

I have a 4s and haven't had the issues you guys are having. When I'm going to use it I always put it on "Airplane mode" first, then turn on the wifi, turn off "ask to join networks" and then connect to the Phantom. Don't know if you're already doing this or if it will help but I thought I should throw it out there.

Jerry
2015-4-5
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-5 21:22
Guys,.

I have a 4s and haven't had the issues you guys are having. When I'm going to use it I alway ...

Same as what I do.  Sometimes it just seems to need to be power cycled.  Not a big problem for me, just an extra minute or so before I can get the bird in the air.

2015-4-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Mal,
In addition to the other posts, no issues here on a 5s, never!..
When I get ready to fly, first thing I do is put my phone in Airplane mode, then turn on RC then Wifi Extender, then power up Phantom, as the Phantom is going through its power up I turn the wifi on the phone on, disable/forget any networks that show up..and make sure Phantom is selected..
I presume your iOS is up to date and you have the latest Vision app?
If you have an iPad or access to another iPhone I would try that if the above does not improve anything...otherwise you could have a weak/problematic Wifi Extender would be my thought.
Good luck and let us know...
2015-4-5
Use props
MalcB
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks everyone - great responses and so damn quick
2015-4-5
Use props
OMOJESU
New

United Kingdom

I used to have this problem until I somehow got to point the Wifi range finder at the P2V+ and WiFi connected immediately!
2015-4-6
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I had this problem when around other WiFi networks on a Asus Tranformer and LG G Pad 10" tablets running Android 4.4 and like nrgwise I just turned everything off and on again and it would work.
I have not had this problem on my LG G3 Android 5 or on my new IPad Air.

Before my LG G3 was updated to Android 5 it had 4.4 on it and I did have this happen a few times on it to. I have always turned Airplane mode on because my phone is from sprint and spints connection manager will disconnect you from the Phamtoms network when it sees there is no Internet access. With a Sprint phone you have to put it in airplane mode or disable Sprint connection manager for it to work.
2015-4-6
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Sometimes I get the feeling that people are too impatient when trying to connect to the Wi-Fi, and assume there is a fault or start re-binding before giving it a couple of minutes to connect.
Never had any problems with my V+ and Samsung S3.
2015-4-6
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

John,

I agree with you. Unfortunately for me, I'm a smoker. Fortunately for me, I'll typically turn everything on and light a smoke. Gives me plenty of time to get wifi connected and a little extra time to make sure I've got a good, solid connection before flight!

Jerry
2015-4-6
Use props
MalcB
lvl.2

United Kingdom

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-6 21:06
John,

I agree with you. Unfortunately for me, I'm a smoker. Fortunately for me, I'll typically turn ...

Luckily I've never smoked but resorted to a Snickers while waiting in a field with no other networks. The Phantom extender didn't appear after 5 minutes so I tried switching off/on the Wifi on the iPhone. Still no go ! It was only by resetting the extender that it appeared. After binding, it typically loses the wifi connection so I have to go to wifi settings again.

It's taking about 10 minutes each time so I think I'm giving it plenty of time. Patience might be a virtue but this is a case of "no other option"
2015-4-6
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah a couple of minutes is long enough to wait.
I still don't understand the binding, never had to do that at all, I was under the impression that all you do when binding is re-setting the range extender to the phantoms Wi-Fi unit inside and that was only needed if you have replaced one or the other.
The only thing I have to do is turn off mobile networks and Bluetooth on my phone, then pick the phantom network from the list.
2015-4-6
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-6 21:45
I still don't understand the binding, never had to  ...

Same here, I've never had to re-bind. That may change when I get that new Itelite antenna. I picked up an additional Tx and Extender to do the mods on. Just in case things don't goes as expected I want to be able to revert back to a "known good" configuration. I'm pretty sure I'll be in the whole binding mess in a few weeks!

Jerry
2015-4-6
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-6 21:06
John,

I agree with you. Unfortunately for me, I'm a smoker. Fortunately for me, I'll typically turn ...

+1

I've also convinced myself (rightly or wrongly is another matter ;)), that the Phantom wifi network doesn't come up until the bird itself is happy with the world - a couple of minutes at most.  I think the  bird is the 'host', not the RE. Give that a chance to settle down and connect to the RE, then you'll 'see' the Phantom network.

No rebinding here either - just another smoke first......

5S here too BTW.

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-6
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-6 21:45
I still don't understand the binding, never had to  ...

"You're not yourself without a Snickers!"
2015-4-6
Use props
MalcB
lvl.2

United Kingdom

OK - great day so off I went. Tried the same way first and gave it 5 mins. This time it was a bottle of "Bishops Finger" so no Snickers - No good anyway but the wait wasn't so stressful ! Tried Airplane Mode and the earth moved for me !!! No probs seeing Phantom network and strong connection.

Thanks for all the help - problem resolved ☺️

2015-4-6
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

i think you may want to try to see where the problem is by doing this test.  Find a friend that has an android phone (I know Apple people hate this idea) and use it and see if you have similar problems.  If not it is likely your iPhone settings and worse a defect (YIKES not on an Apple product).  If you experience similar problems then if is likely the extender
2015-4-6
Use props
MalcB
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Good idea - just bought a Nexus 7 from eBay so I'll be able to give it a go
2015-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules