545 10 2017-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FiShBuRn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Got to check some Wind Turbines here in Portugal with my P4P and made this little video, hope you enjoy!
PS: In this video i did my first 2KM flight with this drone without a single glitch but im not doing it any time soon because i really dont need it.

P4P

2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha FiShBuRn,

That was an interesting exercise!  Nice video.  The editing must have been fun as in challenging.  It worked well.

Every time I see those wind farm videos, I wonder when someone will try to run the gauntlet between two blades.  Your speed-up and slow down quickly brought me to my senses!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 00:28
Aloha FiShBuRn,

That was an interesting exercise!  Nice video.  The editing must have been fun as in challenging.  It worked well.

"I wonder when someone will try to run the gauntlet between two blades."

I imagine you would encounter a huge amount of turbulence between the blades and the drone would slow down to try and stabilise itself, then get hit!  Probably not a good idea to try and fly downwind, the blades remove a large amount of energy from the wind and that has to cause issues downwind.
2017-9-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Good flying!
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-22 05:14

I imagine you would encounter a huge amount of turbulence between the blades and the drone would slow down to try and stabilise itself, then get hit!  Probably not a good idea to try and fly downwind, the blades remove a large amount of energy from the wind and that has to cause issues downwind.

Aloha Nigel,

So you are saying approach it from the front so you can surf the redirected and powerful wind that results!  Remember, I am from the surfing capitol of the world.  We surf anything!

Just joking!  I realize and hope anyone who reads this realizes I am joking.  But we do have those same turbines here in Kahuku, Hmmmm.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Thats a great video
2017-9-22
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-22 17:26
Aloha Nigel,

So you are saying approach it from the front so you can surf the redirected and powerful wind that results!  Remember, I am from the surfing capitol of the world.  We surf anything!

A) They do Hmmmmm a lot, too much so
B) So, like the chicken and the egg, cart in the horse, etc. etc. dilemma, does a wind turbine generate wind or simply responds to wind already being generated by nature?  
Or does it respond and then create more wind?  Based on the law of diminishing returns and physics where you can't have perpetual motion, primarily due to friction, all meaning it is very much unlikely that a windmill generates wind.  Possibly wind turbulence, but not additional winds.
Sorry I didn't mean to upset your wind surfing possibilities...but that is one of my burning what if questions...
2017-9-22
Use props
P3KoYoT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1846667 ft
Poland

I like that close video
2017-9-22
Use props
P3KoYoT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1846667 ft
Poland

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-22 05:14

Turbine blades will unsettle laminar flow of wind mostly just behind turbine especially close to the tip of blades. You can find the smoke test in the internet.
I think that run between blades could be unnecessary risk and I hope nobody try it.
2017-9-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-9-22 19:59
A) They do Hmmmmm a lot, too much so
B) So, like the chicken and the egg, cart in the horse, etc. etc. dilemma, does a wind turbine generate wind or simply responds to wind already being generated by nature?  
Or does it respond and then create more wind?  Based on the law of diminishing returns and physics where you can't have perpetual motion, primarily due to friction, all meaning it is very much unlikely that a windmill generates wind.  Possibly wind turbulence, but not additional winds.

Aloha Genghis,

Ahhh, but the energy in the waves on the open water of the ocean is in a consistent and packaged form.  When that wave energy meets the shoreline and is distorted by the sea floor, waves are created that have a unique shape.  This same principle may happen with wind passing through a wind turbine but wind is invisible and we do not see it.  Maybe it does indeed create rideable wind waves, or maybe not.  Hmmm.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-22
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

P3KoYoT Posted at 2017-9-22 22:08
Turbine blades will unsettle laminar flow of wind mostly just behind turbine especially close to the tip of blades. You can find the smoke test in the internet.
I think that run between blades could be unnecessary risk and I hope nobody try it.

I don't think the blades will be damaged, they are immensely strong, able to hold around 200 tonnes of air pressure.

I would be worried about the change in air pressure between the front and back, since the altitude of the drone is controlled by the barometer it will presumably shoot up into the sky as the air pressure drops?

Also, timing is going to be difficult, on an average day a typical wind turbine blade will be moving through the air at around 120 mph at the blade tips, I can't see how you could time passing between the blades except by chance.
2017-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules