1690 14 2017-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
janiy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 709787 ft
Finland

Hello

I've had my Mavic for about 4 months now, and at first couple of months it worked perfectly, no issues whatsoever and I could practically do anything I wanted.

Now the situation is that it has deteriorated into a point where it's basically untrustworthy and therefore unusable.

The main thing is that the video feed to my phone cuts off, I use Iphone 7 and tested with Ipad Air 2, same problems persist.
I've uploaded the video from the problem to Youtube with the link below. The feed disconnect distance is very random, but always with the same symptoms. But with the video in the link, you can see the drone was only meters away from me. The controller is on the ground so I could record the video.
I shut down the DJI GO app, doesn't resolve the problem. I disconnected the cable, doesn't resolve the problem. The screen on the app is the same before closing/disconnecting. Map and the windradar(?) works and all the other buttons, except the camera buttons. Can't take photo nor video. If I'm recording a video, the recording stops immediately after the feed is cut.

From the video can be seen that the RC signal is 5/5, GPS lock on 21 satellites, image signal is 5/5. To my eyes, nothing wrong.

-IMU & Compass shows normal readings
-Used several sd cards
-Used both cables, RC's own and my own lightning cables (several of those too)
-No video or map caching
-Nothing nearby (to my knowledge) causing interference, phone/tablet on airplane mode, no bluetooth signals.
-did a factory reset and upgraded fw after that, no effect
-reseted camera settings, and gimbal settings

The app never shows disconnected when the video feed is cut.

On a side note, lately, the computer can't recognize the sd cards when Mavic is plugged on DJI Assistant.

The photos are from few days back, the video is new.
Here's the link for the video:

Any ideas?

IMG_2760.jpg
IMG_2758.jpg
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you please clarify whether you noticed this after a firmware update or a software update? Could you please cerify what  firmware version, Go app version and iOS version you're running?
2017-9-22
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539518 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi there, have you tried reinstalling the app to assess whether the software is buggy? The worse case senario would be that the CMOS sensor on the camera is on its way out! I deal with digital microscopy and we have had this sort of 'purple/red' interference which I have seen with 5 of our 4K res. cameras and all the time the diagnostics has pointed out that the issue is mainly sensor malfunction. Now, I'm not isaying this is the case with the Mavic, but I suggest that you get it on for one of the technicians to run camera funation tests on it to verify. Plesae do report back to the forum with your updates though and good luck!
2017-9-22
Use props
janiy
lvl.2
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-9-22 12:26
Could you please clarify whether you noticed this after a firmware update or a software update? Could you please cerify what  firmware version, Go app version and iOS version you're running?

Of course. This has been happening more or less for atleast a month now, so it's before and after the firmware updates.
App version 4.1.11
Aircraft 01.04.000
RC 01.04.0000
Flight / Basic app fly Safe / Precise App Fly Safedatabase 1.00.01.05

iOS versions were 10.3.3 and 11, no difference between the ios versions.

App has been deleted and reinstalled several times.

Sometimes I can fly the drone for a while and take few photos, but sooner or later the feed cuts off.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

janiy Posted at 2017-9-22 13:58
Of course. This has been happening more or less for atleast a month now, so it's before and after the firmware updates.
App version 4.1.11
Aircraft 01.04.000

During that time frame, I'm assuming you've tried a couple lighning cables without a significant difference? Have you tried putting the devices in airplane mode or resetting the unit to factory defaults via the Assistant 2 software?
2017-9-22
Use props
janiy
lvl.2
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-9-22 14:32
During that time frame, I'm assuming you've tried a couple lighning cables without a significant difference? Have you tried putting the devices in airplane mode or resetting the unit to factory defaults via the Assistant 2 software?

Yes, devices in airplane mode and several lightning cables, no difference.

Haven't tried flying with the factory reseted unit, although I did reset the units but updated them right after the reset, no difference after reset & update.
2017-9-23
Use props
janiy
lvl.2
Finland

I didn't know that the DJI Assistant software doesn't really do a factory reset in the way I understood it, so the firmware of 1.04.0000 was still on the units. I did a downgrade to 1.03.1000 and went to do a test flight. At first it seemed to work better than before, flying around and took it around 900 meters away and still no video feed loss. But then I was returning the drone back to home point, the feed cut off with the same symptoms as before. Although that didn't last very long as the feed came back after a second or two.

Airplane mode: On
RC cable: original
Caching: No
Used Iphone 7

Took another flight, with the same settings except turned on video caching. Went to the same way as the flight before. Seemed again ok, but then when returning, feed got all weird and it seems the gimbal also reseted itself during the flight and the recording stopped. And this time the errors were recorded on the sd card also, not just on the video cache. And few moments later after the reset, the video feed was lost for good.
I now checked when writing this text, my phone has 21Gb of free space, if that matters. The following videos are from the gimbal reset(?), and after that when the video feed was lost.

http://app.airdata.com/main?shar ... _id=GENERALOverview here's the AirData UAV log.

2017-9-23
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

janiy Posted at 2017-9-23 10:03
I didn't know that the DJI Assistant software doesn't really do a factory reset in the way I understood it, so the firmware of 1.04.0000 was still on the units. I did a downgrade to 1.03.1000 and went to do a test flight. At first it seemed to work better than before, flying around and took it around 900 meters away and still no video feed loss. But then I was returning the drone back to home point, the feed cut off with the same symptoms as before. Although that didn't last very long as the feed came back after a second or two.

It is very difficult to determine where the problem is as it could be the camera, the drone or something in the phone.
Have you ever looked at the transmission settings in the app when you have the problem. This video may give you a clue as to what to look at.

2017-9-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

janiy Posted at 2017-9-23 10:03

Just to add to what Jenee provided, have you checked your antenna orientation when this occurs? While the video shows a Phantom, the same antenna logic does apply:

If you've checked that, could you happen to provide a screenshot of the image transmission settings to see what kind of channel strength you're getting on "auto". Should you try another flight and this occurs, could you try switching it to manual and select a stronger channel to see if the feed comes back?
2017-9-25
Use props
janiy
lvl.2
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-9-25 12:26
Just to add to what Jenee provided, have you checked your antenna orientation when this occurs? While the video shows a Phantom, the same antenna logic does apply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Like I said before, I've been using both Iphone7 and Ipad Air 2, with same problems.
Antenna orientation is not a problem, unless they're broken from the inside. But I don't think that's the problem.I downgraded Mavic / RC firmwares after testing with the latest fw, with no difference.

Transmission quality seems to drop near zero, and I really don't know anymore what could be causing this, seems to be very random. After a while, the quality dropped to 0.02Mbps and the feed cut off.
Couple of times I couldn't reproduce the problem, and the next time it happens right from the takeoff.

No signal interferences, the line doesn't move at all. Tried all the other modes, nothing.

Settings are always on auto, since I can't activate the custom settings for the bandwith.

I forgot to mention before, I quite often need to power cycle the devices since the camera screen is black from the start. And sometimes one power cycle doesn't solve the problem.
IMG_2870.jpg
2017-9-30
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

janiy Posted at 2017-9-30 07:05
Like I said before, I've been using both Iphone7 and Ipad Air 2, with same problems.
Antenna orientation is not a problem, unless they're broken from the inside. But I don't think that's the problem.I downgraded Mavic / RC firmwares after testing with the latest fw, with no difference.

ok,  you prob try this, but ill mention it anyway. i occasionally have same thing happen . i shut down and reboot EVERYTHING .  app , phone , remote , mavic. also my remote is in stock mode #2 , my #1 Dial on remote , the factory programed option. when i turn the dial , it will dim down or brighten up pic, sometimes for what ever reason i have to turn down dial then those lines disappear . maybe some of that confusion will help.
2017-9-30
Use props
bernardren07
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

i believe that your ribbon cable may have faulty. need to replace it. Like my old phantom 3 pro had issue same as your. When aircraft started fly up and went forward and suddenly dead purple lines and hanged.

2017-9-30
Use props
janiy
lvl.2
Finland

bernardren07 Posted at 2017-9-30 08:01
i believe that your ribbon cable may have faulty. need to replace it. Like my old phantom 3 pro had issue same as your. When aircraft started fly up and went forward and suddenly dead purple lines and hanged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxN9Miwhdc4

I'm starting to think that this is the problem in my case. I've had quality loss when the Mavic's signal has been obstructed somewhat by buildings or trees, and the feed gets choppy and eventually cuts off, but these kind of screens just scream for some kind of malfunction.
2017-10-2
Use props
janiy
lvl.2
Finland

I will send the devices back to the retailer tomorrow.
2017-10-3
Use props
bernardren07
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

janiy Posted at 2017-10-3 04:02
I will send the devices back to the retailer tomorrow.

ok. when u put gimbal clamp. please put it gentle because got ribbon cable inside
2017-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules