Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RTH Issues
1302 7 2017-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpmoran72
lvl.1
United States

I am having issues with the RTH feature.  When RTH is activated either by my self or automatically as a result of a low battery, the drone will attempt to come home, but as it builds up speed it detects an obstacle and stops.  It will continue to do this over and over again, travelling only 20-30 feet closer to home at a time.  I've already had more than a few scares trying to get my drone home on a low battery.  Also on more than one occasion the drone accends to more than 600ft while trying to RTH.  My max altitude is only set to 400ft.
I just purchased my Mavic back in July, it worked fine for about the first month.  I'm not sure if it was a firmware update or if a setting got set wrong that is causing this behavior.  Does anybody have an explaination or any ideas/suggestions?

2017-9-22
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Only time I've had RTH issues is during sunset when the MP is headed into the sun. It blinds the sensors and it'll act like an obstacle is in the way. When my battery is starting to run low, I circle around so I'm heading back to home with the MP running with the sun at it's back.

If sun isn't the issue, your sensors may be dirty/damaged and the MP is thinking somethings in the way during Smart RTH. You can test this by temporarily turning Smart RTH offt, hit RTH and see if you still have the same issues. Just make sure there's nothing between you and your home point during the test or you'll fly right through it. If you turn Smart RTH off and the problem goes away, you probably need to send the MP in for repair.
2017-9-22
Use props
jpmoran72
lvl.1
United States

I have read about the sun causing false obstacles.  It happens every time RTH is activated, no matter where the drone is relative to the sun.  I also thought the same thing, that I should be able to deactivate the obstacle avoidance system and it shouldn't fault on a false obstacle, but it continued to behave the same way.  It almost seems like as the drone accelerates, the nose dips down and it is picking up the front propellers.
2017-9-22
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

If you dont think its the sun then calibrate the vision sensors.  Turning off OA in RTH will be a temporary work around too.
2017-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i haven't had the sun cause issues on RTH, sun causes me great degree of grief with active tracking however, glare or direct sunlight my mavic swerves or slams its brakes on so to speak.. i have done RTH with sun beaming right in its sensors and never had an issue.. only oddity i seen is it will move slowly, 12-14 MPH until it can compensate for it or something then it starts picking up speed. but never a full on stop..
2017-9-22
Use props
jpmoran72
lvl.1
United States

Okay so I did another test this morning and turned OFF the "Turn on Smart Return Home" under the advanced vision settings based on recommendations above.  I had previously only tried turning off the 'Enable Obstacle Avoidance'.  This time the drone did return home like it should without starting and stopping.  It did however continue to display 'obstacle' on the RC display all the way home.
2017-9-23
Use props
jpmoran72
lvl.1
United States

Thank you to gnirtS for your suggestion.  At first, I didn't know exactly what you meant by calibrate the vision sensors.  I thought I had gone thru every type of calibration I could within the controller.  I then discovered the vision sensor calibration that is only accessible from within the DJI Assistant 2.  Once I did that and went for a test flight, success, my Mavic was working properly again.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

jpmoran72 Posted at 2017-10-13 18:30
Thank you to gnirtS for your suggestion.  At first, I didn't know exactly what you meant by calibrate the vision sensors.  I thought I had gone thru every type of calibration I could within the controller.  I then discovered the vision sensor calibration that is only accessible from within the DJI Assistant 2.  Once I did that and went for a test flight, success, my Mavic was working properly again.

Glad to hear that the drone works properly now. Here are some tips for the obstacle avoidance working improperly, please check if the drone flies directly facing the sun or strong light, it might initiate the obstacle avoidance falsely; then check if there is any dirt on the sensors, don't stick any protectors on them; do a Vision Positioning System calibration on DJI assistant 2.
Happy flying.
2017-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules