Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
spark falls from 500m altitude
12Next >
5778 50 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 224121 ft
Spain

Hello Im gerard from spain and today flying my spark, at 500m, in the DJI app suddently appears that the dron was at 0m (500m in real) then I try to land the drone. but  the landing speed was at 0,5km/h there wasnt any way to make it land faster.at 380m the batery goes to 0% and obviuously the drone fall down like a stone.....

this case is warranty covered??  

where to repair it? how?

thanks

pd. I have fly several hours wit the spark, and never have any issue like this..  gps was OK, Imu calibration was OK, compas was OK  all with the latest firm.. etcetcetc
sorry for my english,

regards from Spain
2017-9-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are going to  ignore all drone laws by flying at 500 meters, at least don't complain when you can't manage your own battery life and your drone crashes.  I hope no one was injured.  
2017-9-23
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

sorry mate I would say 50m  typing error,
thankyou
2017-9-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I humbly apologize, you need to open up a case with DJI.
2017-9-23
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gerard_fs Posted at 2017-9-23 07:51
sorry mate I would say 50m  typing error,
thankyou

You typed 500 3X and didn't realized it? I think this is an operator error, you are responsible for keeping an eye on your battery life just like the rest of us.
2017-9-23
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

maybe I havent  explained correctly..    the spark was flying with 90% of batery,  I tried to land it, but  DJI app show  that the dron was at 0 meters of altitude (really it was at 50) I tried to land but the dron doesnt responds, then..after 10minuts trying to land it... baterry goes to 0% and then fall down

better?
2017-9-23
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-23 08:09
You typed 500 3X and didn't realized it? I think this is an operator error, you are responsible for keeping an eye on your battery life just like the rest of us.

yes Im dumb m8  I dont know how to edit.xD
2017-9-23
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

the flight was on a desert mountain terrain,  nobody damaged only the spark
2017-9-23
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 399984 ft
Germany

i can tell you what happened, you was fliying over or within a cloud and the VPS System thought it was the ground because there is no space under the drone..this could not happen in 50m altitude, i think you had the 500m like you already mentioned...otherwise post your log to show us the opposite.
2017-9-23
Use props
Anuvis
First Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

So in 500 meters  it shows 0 altitube and falls ok ??So for the other comments in 50 meters show alitube 0 and falls ???!!!.Whats the diference????none!!!!!I have noticed many times that altitube was showiing wrong in app......If this is a problem can affect all of us....please upload flight records....and open a case with dji.....I also want to tell to the other commenters if you find one day a small cloud  in 60 meters will you go up to 100 meters to take a shot???Because i Will take that shot i want to know from dji if there is a problem with down sensors in order to avoid crash ....
2017-9-23
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
Second Officer
Germany

to prowlima einai oti den mporis na apenergopiisis to VPS sto spark, theli megali prosoxi sta sinefa..kalitera na ta apofewgis.
2017-9-23
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You flew a mini drone 1,240 feet higher than the legal limit for ANY drone and into manned airspace and now you want help with how to get another drone... Good luck with that mate!
2017-9-23
Use props
KSBV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1104252 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guessing he was at 500m and above the clouds/fog as fans3b8dd2c3 said.  It was descending but slowly (.5 km/h).  If he was at 50m, it would only take about 40 seconds to get to the ground which wouldn't take his battery to zero.  DJI specifically says not to fly in clouds/fog/etc as situations like this can occur.
2017-9-23
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
Second Officer
Germany

KSBV Posted at 2017-9-23 09:48
Guessing he was at 500m and above the clouds/fog as fans3b8dd2c3 said.  It was descending but slowly (.5 km/h).  If he was at 50m, it would only take about 40 seconds to get to the ground which wouldn't take his battery to zero.  DJI specifically says not to fly in clouds/fog/etc as situations like this can occur.

That's the point. It is a clear pilot error, i would not expect any warranty..
2017-9-23
Use props
Anuvis
First Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

fans3b8dd2c3 Posted at 2017-9-23 09:59
That's the point. It is a clear pilot error, i would not expect any warranty..

So if you go on 60 meters and in 100 you are above clouds its a pilot error if your drone sees 0 zero altitude and fall down?I can not understand you people ....You see the forest but not the tree......
2017-9-23
Use props
heliman
First Officer
Denmark

This has been up before.
The spark likes to land on a cloud. Instead of trusting it’s altimeter and gps.
So  avoid clouds for now.
2017-9-23
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
Second Officer
Germany

Anuvis Posted at 2017-9-23 10:02
So if you go on 60 meters and in 100 you are above clouds its a pilot error if your drone sees 0 zero altitude and fall down?I can not understand you people ....You see the forest but not the tree......

In such a case you will be able to bring your drone back cause of the low altitude even it shows you a wrong altitude..but not at 500m..there should be a possibility to deactivate vps but dji describes this scenario in the manual.
2017-9-23
Use props
PY4CK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I am curious to see in photo (if you have any) the damage to your drone. Falling from this altitude must be a very severe thing to the little Spark.
2017-9-23
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.1

Australia

Gerard_fs Posted at 2017-9-23 08:14
maybe I havent  explained correctly..    the spark was flying with 90% of batery,  I tried to land it, but  DJI app show  that the dron was at 0 meters of altitude (really it was at 50) I tried to land but the dron doesnt responds, then..after 10minuts trying to land it... baterry goes to 0% and then fall down

better?

Uploading the flight log will give readers a better view and understanding of what happened
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry to hear about the accident, it's hard to tell the precise reason without the flight log, please fill in online repair request to start a ticket and then send in the drone for data analysis. The proper resolution will be provided after that.
2017-9-23
Use props
fansb58d89a9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 839196 ft
  • >>>
United States

there wasnt any way to make it land faster.at 380m the batery goes to 0%

Odd to have a typo on 500m/50m and then follow it up with another typo for 380m?!?!?!
2017-9-23
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

Yes fansb58d89a9 i have no control of my feeds
2017-9-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Guys, the thing here is the "I see the ground, I descent slowly for landing, the last 0.5m" feature of the Spark.
Dont focus on the 500m thing. It can happen in early mornings in summer in 60 or 100m, meaning in legal height, because of fog.
And if you are in the last 5 Min of your batt life when you see this fog and accidently flying over it for a nice shot and the spark starts getting into landing mode, its falling from 60, 30, 15m.
I think that this is the resl problem.
It is more damage from 500m, as from 50, but the point is:
Shouldnt  the pilot have a option to "fly the spark in the ground", if he wants?
Deactivating the visual system with a softswitch, somewhere in the  settings, not possible to do it by accident and only to activate for one landing at a time, not as a permanent setting?
We have read about a couple of this incidents lately, havent't we?
2017-9-23
Use props
lafoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

You can't fly with fog or with dirty sensors!... I've been their is very scary...
2017-9-23
Use props
LX2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37477 ft
Netherlands

So, today I almost sh*t my pants in every available color... And almost lost my Spark.

Was flying in the early morning with a really small amount of fog, when at 4 minutes (battery: 21%) RTH kicks in at 84 meters/276.2ft altitude. No problem normally, but at the same time, the fog underneath the Spark started to get thicker. The Spark returned to the home position and I was waiting to see it decreasing altitude, but it was clearly having more fun up there, as it wasn't decreasing altitude at all, and I was getting the question at the DJI Go app to go on with the landing procedure (as if it was hovering 30cm above ground).
It didn't seem to me as a good choice to do that, as I had seen some posts here already of Sparks falling out of the sky, so I tried to cancel the RTH and descent manually. That also did not work as the VPS was telling the Spark that it already was just a few cm's above ground, and at the same time the battery level was decreasing to a level far from my usual comfort zone.
I quickly searched in the app if there was an option to ignore the ground-facing VPS sensors, but could not find any. Then tried to just fly as fast as possible forward and down, in sports-mode hoping the VPS system would not work at that speed, with success at just 5% battery level!

So what I have learned today? Take some diapers with you, and don't fly when there is a lot of fog, or clouds.

DJI: Please make clear options in the App to ignore or override VPS altitude.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YFXZU95LTRRPTYQBEOE3/

2017-9-24
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
Second Officer
Germany

Yes! Please add this function! It is necessary
2017-9-24
Use props
Lian82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

omg winter incoming !! fog incoming ! i have scary!
2017-9-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

LX2000 Posted at 2017-9-24 00:16
So, today I almost sh*t my pants in every available color... And almost lost my Spark.

Was flying in the early morning with a really small amount of fog, when at 4 minutes (battery: 21%) RTH kicks in at 84 meters/276.2ft altitude. No problem normally, but at the same time, the fog underneath the Spark started to get thicker. The Spark returned to the home position and I was waiting to see it decreasing altitude, but it was clearly having more fun up there, as it wasn't decreasing altitude at all, and I was getting the question at the DJI Go app to go on with the landing procedure (as if it was hovering 30cm above ground).

Excellent incident description, smart reactions on your side and very good advice. Very helpful post indeed, thank you! And please accept my since congratulations, you have done an excellent pilot job in this situation!
2017-9-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry to hear that, could you please export the data, then upload them to the dropbox, provide me with a link to download it? We'd like to forward it to our engineers for analysis.
2017-9-24
Use props
Adomolis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219219 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Had a similar situation where a layer of fog moved in between me and my drone in a matter of seconds. Was recording sunrise at maybe 30-40 meters high and then BAM, drone initialized auto-land. Worst thing was I was over water But even though I couldnt see my drone, just the noise coming form it, all went fine as i just adjusted gimball to face down and kept an eye on the screen to control the descent. Landed safe and sound. Diapers wouldve helped, as other fellow pilot mentioned here
2017-9-25
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

after all the spark still fly

AWESOME
2017-9-25
Use props
ped078
Second Officer
Flight distance : 565794 ft
United Kingdom

Good.

Now lets see the logs to prove you were @ £50m .
2017-9-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gerard_fs Posted at 2017-9-25 06:33
after all the spark still fly

All this is very confusing, first 500m fell @ 380 metres, then 50 metres fell @ 50 metres, now 230 metres.
Maybe you should start a whole new thread, sit down and compose yourself and let us know what really happened.

Before you do that can I give you some good advice, flying your craft so close to metal garage is very likely to have a serious effect on your compass, and may well result in another crash.
2017-9-25
Use props
fans61699a75
Captain
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

And now the police has got your licenceplate number and they come and give you a big fine for flying 500 m or 230 m , anyway for flying above the legal height
2017-9-25
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

hope you can get your spark replaced under warranty
2017-9-25
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

fans61699a75 Posted at 2017-9-25 08:00
And now the police has got your licenceplate number and they come and give you a big fine for flying 500 m or 230 m , anyway for flying above the legal height

you are assuming too many things friend .. first, you do not know if the car is mine or if it is in my name or another person, second .. did not know that flying a spark inside a warehouse is illegal .. third there is no proof that say I've been to 500m like I said is keyboard error ..
I hope that everyone here flies within 100% legal spaces and nobody ever passes over people or public places or nothing ilegal ... take your cookie

I have visited this forum to ask for help and to report a possible error in our spark ... (the error exists in the same way to 50 that to 500 that to 5000) and because I believe that the forums are places to help us between all. ... not to bite each other's neck
Im noob in this complicated drone world.. i simply wants to learn
thank you for your comprenhension
2017-9-25
Use props
Gerard_fs
lvl.1
Spain

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-25 08:04
hope you can get your spark replaced under warranty

thanks...,today I speak with DJI to send the spark to NL , I hope too
2017-9-25
Use props
fans61699a75
Captain
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Forum also can be used and advise people to stick to the rules in order to not spoiling it for other drone users , so that governments will not make the laws stricter.
Ps why are you stating the different heights during your posts? I 100 pct agree with hallmark.
2017-9-25
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.1

Australia

We want to see the flight log of the crash, helps others understand where the errors are and to hopefully learn and avoid them in the future
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Received your PM, I've forwarded the data to our engineers for analysis, I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the info.
2017-9-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules