Ronin External Power
13919 24 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
logic28
lvl.1

Italy

Hi everyone,
Just finished to built my new 18" jib for my RED Scarlet and wondering how to power the Ronin M from external source (as well as battery if needed).

Smaller  version for testing here:   

Everyone seems to discuss how to take power from Roning and nobody talks about putting power in.

Not sure where to input DC without removing the battery (almost as if I was to keep it on charge while using it).
Has anybody done this before ?

Many thanks

Maz
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

You may want to research the DC power source question more as it may not be possible to have a external power source for the Ronin M.
2017-9-25
Use props
logic28
lvl.1

Italy

Any idea what the 2 extra pins in the battery are supposed to serve ?  
Are they just a reference voltage for the Ronin ?

If I use a dummy battery (which I can easily create) will I have malfunctions because of the 2 missing pins ?

2017-10-2
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

logic28 Posted at 2017-10-2 12:09
Any idea what the 2 extra pins in the battery are supposed to serve ?  
Are they just a reference voltage for the Ronin ?

The battery for the Ronin accompanies a 4S Ronin Battery. What type of battery are you using?

Here are some battery specs for the Ronin: http://www.dji.com/ronin/info?si ... insite_search#specs
2017-10-6
Use props
logic28
lvl.1

Italy

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-6 09:07
The battery for the Ronin accompanies a 4S Ronin Battery. What type of battery are you using?

Here are some battery specs for the Ronin: http://www.dji.com/ronin/info?site=brandsite&from=insite_search#specs

I am using the 2 standard batteries that came with the Ronin Mx  (model no: 423496-1580 mAh)

Does anyone know what are the two small pin contacts and how do they operate the battery ?

I have implemented an external power source for the Jib Mounted application of my Ronin Mx and noticed that, by driving the unit externally, it will only function for a few seconds to then turn itself off again.
Its’ pretty obvious that the two pins are there to monitor some form of data from the cells, possibly the amount of charge left ?
However, when disabled, they are preventing the Ronin from staying in a “power on state” for more than a few seconds.

Any info is much appreciated
2017-12-2
Use props
djiuser_deCKVRnedsbx
New

United States

Maz, Did you ever get a reply from dji or anyone else on your need for a constant power unit for the dji Ronin-M? I have the same interest and am tired of dealing with dead batteries at $105.00 plus tax, plus shipping for a total of $120.00+ a pop. I see they had made something called a Battery Power Distributor. This takes the place of the battery, has a P-Tap connector, has the 2 pin lead for the internal power data of the unit to the gimbal unit, and will also power other onboard devices such as the Red camera. only weighed 125g. It's not showing as available on the dji website, though if I search hard enough I can get it to show up at times. It was a $149.00 item when it was available. dji has responded that they are working on getting me more info about what I can do to satisfy my need. This, as of today, 2/29/2020. Great rig you built, by the way. Looks like you are also a big 80/20 fan, as am I!

2020-2-29
Use props
lairdthomas
New

United States

I'd also like to know of any battery relocation information. Thank you for posting. It looks like the Battery Power Distributor is designed only for sending power from the existing battery to other components, not for taking battery from elsewhere. Nice rig btw!
2020-4-14
Use props
Marco Fleischhut
New

Germany

lairdthomas Posted at 4-14 20:18
I'd also like to know of any battery relocation information. Thank you for posting. It looks like the Battery Power Distributor is designed only for sending power from the existing battery to other components, not for taking battery from elsewhere. Nice rig btw!

DJI Ronin Auxiliary Power Adapter  is the way to go... it gets external power. it's just nowhere to get anymore...

Here is the funpart: I called DJI on that today. DJI support does not even KNOW about the excistance of their Auxiliary Power adapter - it also never has been replaced within the 4 years of excisting in that support facility (how to know that if you don't know about the product existence???) .... they don't even know their products they produced once (and could potentially need a repair)  and I had to show them their unknown product unavailable on their website. That's hilarious. Even more than the guy telling me it's NOT djis fault, the chip isn't faulty, it's all just physics.... So guess we all are just better off getting another brands gimbal instead of wasting time with DJI.
2020-8-4
Use props
logic28
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Marco Fleischhut Posted at 2020-8-4 22:30
DJI Ronin Auxiliary Power Adapter  is the way to go... it gets external power. it's just nowhere to get anymore...

Here is the funpart: I called DJI on that today. DJI support does not even KNOW about the excistance of their Auxiliary Power adapter - it also never has been replaced within the 4 years of excisting in that support facility (how to know that if you don't know about the product existence???) .... they don't even know their products they produced once (and could potentially need a repair)  and I had to show them their unknown product unavailable on their website. That's hilarious. Even more than the guy telling me it's NOT djis fault, the chip isn't faulty, it's all just physics.... So guess we all are just better off getting another brands gimbal instead of wasting time with DJI.

Or learn to repair and / or convert what they have done . .  I, for instance, have managed to get all the Red camera power and signals in and out going though the Ronin arms without having clumsy external cabling. Next will be the "in parallel" power supply so to keep the battery onboard for the Ic2 bus of the control board.

Here is the unit:https://www.facebook.com/Tempo-Technology-Advanced-Developments-1038182709532837/photos/1863015973716169
and here:

https://www.facebook.com/Tempo-Technology-Advanced-Developments-1038182709532837/photos/1863015877049512

2021-2-19
Use props
Lindefar
lvl.1
Denmark

Anybody ever found a solution that works for external power?
2021-10-14
Use props
logic28
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Still waiting
2021-10-17
Use props
burninmedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492799 ft
United States

I'm searching for this battery so I can mod it to use any 4s I want.
https://rental.filmservice.asia/dji-ronin-battery-mod-how-to-hack-ronin-with-external-lipo-battery/
2021-11-9
Use props
logic28
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Marco Fleischhut Posted at 2020-8-4 22:30

Here is the funpart: I called DJI on that today. DJI support does not even KNOW about the excistance of their Auxiliary Power adapter - it also never has been replaced within the 4 years of excisting in that support facility (how to know that if you don't know about the product existence???) .... they don't even know their products they produced once (and could potentially need a repair)  and I had to show them their unknown product unavailable on their website. That's hilarious. Even more than the guy telling me it's NOT djis fault, the chip isn't faulty, it's all just physics.... So guess we all are just better off getting another brands gimbal instead of wasting time with DJI.

I am busy with something else at the moment but as soon as I return to filming I shall get inside the system myself and develop what's needed  . .  as usual for me . .  back in the 90s I had to do the same by building my own MIDi interface . . .   
2021-11-9
Use props
logic28
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_deCKVRnedsbx Posted at 2020-2-29 11:27
Maz, Did you ever get a reply from dji or anyone else on your need for a constant power unit for the dji Ronin-M? I have the same interest and am tired of dealing with dead batteries at $105.00 plus tax, plus shipping for a total of $120.00+ a pop. I see they had made something called a Battery Power Distributor. This takes the place of the battery, has a P-Tap connector, has the 2 pin lead for the internal power data of the unit to the gimbal unit, and will also power other onboard devices such as the Red camera. only weighed 125g. It's not showing as available on the dji website, though if I search hard enough I can get it to show up at times. It was a $149.00 item when it was available. dji has responded that they are working on getting me more info about what I can do to satisfy my need. This, as of today, 2/29/2020. Great rig you built, by the way. Looks like you are also a big 80/20 fan, as am I!

I was told by DJI that the adapter you mentioned was exclusively for "power output" and definitely not for input however it might be worth purchasing one and investigate personally. I shall do that as I'm back to filming. Thanks for your input
2021-11-9
Use props
djiuser_3oZQfIhcgn5h
New

Croatia

djiuser_deCKVRnedsbx Posted at 2020-2-29 11:27
Maz, Did you ever get a reply from dji or anyone else on your need for a constant power unit for the dji Ronin-M? I have the same interest and am tired of dealing with dead batteries at $105.00 plus tax, plus shipping for a total of $120.00+ a pop. I see they had made something called a Battery Power Distributor. This takes the place of the battery, has a P-Tap connector, has the 2 pin lead for the internal power data of the unit to the gimbal unit, and will also power other onboard devices such as the Red camera. only weighed 125g. It's not showing as available on the dji website, though if I search hard enough I can get it to show up at times. It was a $149.00 item when it was available. dji has responded that they are working on getting me more info about what I can do to satisfy my need. This, as of today, 2/29/2020. Great rig you built, by the way. Looks like you are also a big 80/20 fan, as am I!

Did you make an external power supply for Ronin M / MX?
2022-6-16
Use props
ksayles
New

United States

Did anyone find a way to provide external power to ronin m?
2022-6-19
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

logic28 Posted at 2017-12-2 11:42
I am using the 2 standard batteries that came with the Ronin Mx  (model no: 423496-1580 mAh)

Does anyone know what are the two small pin contacts and how do they operate the battery ?

It's long ago but you did not get an answer so here it is. The two small pins are clock and data, they pass on data from the battery management system to the Ronin. That way, the gimbal knows when the battery is unbalanced for instance.
2023-11-2
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

ksayles@vsemedia.net Posted at 2022-6-19 10:29
Did anyone find a way to provide external power to ronin m?

you can use the 3400 mAh battery to make yourself an external power supply connector for any ordinary 4 cell lipo. The 1580 mAh as well a the high power version are more difficult to use as their battery management chip bricks the battery as soon as you remove the cells.
2023-11-2
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

djiuser_3oZQfIhcgn5h Posted at 2022-6-16 03:05
Did you make an external power supply for Ronin M / MX?

I do. Let me know if you are interested.
2023-11-2
Use props
victorcs
New

Norway

I'll just add in my disappointment about DJI and their support when it comes to the Ronin M series and especially the battery. Why is it so hard for them to make a vlock mount or atleast give us an option to use something else when their batteries fail. Suddenly my expensive equipment is trash? I thought the world was all about taking care of the environment and not throw away working things, but because of those batteries and no other way to power this thing up, I suddenly have to buy one of the new ones. I guess Freefly Systems Movi is the way to go. At least they take things more seriously than DJI.
2023-11-21
Use props
djiuser_N1m0YLgYBJyS
New

United States

rogiervdheide Posted at 2023-11-2 02:08

Hey man, I was wondering if you could help. I have no clue how all this battery stuff works, I just want to be able to take it out on shoots but both my batteries are dead.
1-24 21:16
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

djiuser_N1m0YLgYBJyS Posted at 1-24 21:16
Hey man, I was wondering if you could help. I have no clue how all this battery stuff works, I just want to be able to take it out on shoots but both my batteries are dead.

Sorry to read about the trouble. Ronin M/MX batteries become useless when completely depleted. The battery management chip inside the battery "thinks" that the cells were removed, and then raises a "permanent failure flag" to avoid the people place new non-DJI cells in the batteries.

In other words: never deplete the batteries completely. Ronin M/MX batteries should always be charged as soon as they have 20% capacity left over.

In the meantime, new batteries in good shape a really hard to get. I will ping you when I have them again, I am on the list at DJI for the 1580mAh version, that is the only version they still sell. It the one that is a bit rounded, as apposed to the batteries with more capacity that were very boxy.

1-30 15:27
Use props
fans337fdd2a
New

United States

rogiervdheide Posted at 1-30 15:27
Sorry to read about the trouble. Ronin M/MX batteries become useless when completely depleted. The battery management chip inside the battery "thinks" that the cells were removed, and then raises a "permanent failure flag" to avoid the people place new non-DJI cells in the batteries.

In other words: never deplete the batteries completely. Ronin M/MX batteries should always be charged as soon as they have 20% capacity left over.

Were you able to pull apart a smaller battery and run voltage into it? I'm thinking of doing that same thing.
2-26 17:01
Use props
fans985ec826
New

Slovakia

Hi, sorry for writing on such an old thread...

I have one 3400mAh and 2x 4350mAh. I fixed those 2x 4350mAh batteries (deleted the PF) and I would like to make a 3400mAh dummy battery. According to someone's answer on the forum, I plugged in a 16.3V power supply on B+/- instead of the batteries. If I disconnect the 6 pin connector, it says the battery is not original (gymbal not working).

Can you please help me or anyone else who has done this? I will be very grateful.
3-11 07:02
Use props
djiuser_vQl3I2fAsh8b
New

United States

If you still know how to make an external power supply for the ronin m and mx. Could I pay you for making a couple for me?
3-14 16:32
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules