Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Would you upgrade the Mavic camera if the option was available?
69436 69436 2017-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Celsus
Captain
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Single SelectVote, Total 182 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

69.78% (127)
21.98% (40)
8.24% (15)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-9-23
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

If I could replace the camera with something that looked focused sharp as nails like the P4 std, instead of looking soft as hell from altitude even though the Mavic has real focus ability, you betcha I'd upgrade it.  That's the only think I hate about the Mavic.  I'd probably pay $300-400 for it.
2017-9-23
Use props
fans3d5143a8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23950 ft
Norway

Yes, absolutely
2017-9-23
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Mavic camera is a mixed bag, 4K movies in good light are OK (with little fiddling in settings), but focus is unreliable, AWB - same, Overexposure is standard
So definitely better camera is a Very welcome addition to Perfect package - Mavic
And I do not want big heavy Full frame Great Optics - No, something like my GSM has (Samsung S7/8) would be Great!
2017-9-23
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be nice to have less fragile camera with the capability of a P4 or P4A camera.
2017-9-23
Use props
RobDownUnder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

The current camera is pretty good, but going to a larger sensor and lens would improve detail in what are quite wide angle photos. There would be a weight increase, but for me a drone photographer that would be fine.
2017-9-23
Use props
Celsus
Captain
United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-23 13:02
If I could replace the camera with something that looked focused sharp as nails like the P4 std, instead of looking soft as hell from altitude even though the Mavic has real focus ability, you betcha I'd upgrade it.  That's the only think I hate about the Mavic.  I'd probably pay $300-400 for it.

Agreed. A fantastic product compromised by questionable camera performance. I have no doubts DJI have the technical expertise  to offer an upgrade to those who want improved photo and video footage from their Mavic. I too would pay more given the option.
2017-9-24
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would be interesting to see how big the P4P camera is without the casing. If they really put their minds to it, the DJI wizards could do it I would wager. I would expect to see a better camera soon as in lots of area’s the Mavic is classed as the best drone. If they did make a similar camera then the Mavic would be king for a long time to come.
2017-9-24
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Yes MP camera is so so and it's a nobrainer not to update it.
2017-9-24
Use props
Nikon 1
Second Officer
United States

Since DJI now owns / has majority stockholder position in Hassleblad, I’m hoping that will greatly improve DJI’s camera offerings in the foreseeable future.  Hassleblad has always been the Professional’s choice for the very best images.  It was the camera that the Apollo Astronauts took into space and onto the moon.
2017-9-24
Use props
NavigatorNL
First Officer
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

No I won't. I'll wait for the Magic II. The camera and gimbal will be upgraded I'll guess.
2017-9-24
Use props
Celsus
Captain
United Kingdom

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-9-24 10:54
No I won't. I'll wait for the Magic II. The camera and gimbal will be upgraded I'll guess.

I hope that's the case. The platinum model isn't much more than a Mavic Pro with face lift. Let's hope DJI respond and deliver the complete package with the Mavic 2.
2017-9-24
Use props
LivinLarge
lvl.1
United States

Wishful thinking. I doubt that there will be a better camera that can be fitted to the current model. Based on their past practices, there will be incremental improvements when the Mavic 2 is released but the camera will not be backwards compatible.
2017-9-25
Use props
HyLenz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I would upgrade. DJI might want to be careful with this. Mavic's portability coupled with the latest (or even better than the latest) P4 camera might make the P4 obsolete.

Would there be a reason to buy a Phantom4 if the Mavic could produce equal quality pics and videos? Maybe this should be a question for a topic in itself...
2017-9-25
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

It will require a new camera and gimble. Additionally, the chip to process the output from the camera must also be replaced which will require the motherboard to be replaced. Oh yes, at the same time, new software is needed. What's left back of the old Mavic ???

What I voted, I will leave to the reader's imagination.   

Regards Leif.
2017-9-25
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

In a heartbeat - current camera is a toy
2017-9-25
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.3
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

I'd certainly jump at a better camera, but I'd actually be reasonably happy with the current camera if the noise reduction could be switched off and the recording bit rate raised.
But I bought the Mavic knowing it's camera limitations and decided I could live with them. My reason for buying was just to get an occasional aerial shot to supplement other footage. If shot carefully I can get some usable shots.
2017-9-25
Use props
noipego
lvl.4
Greece

i'v been asking from day 1 for an alternative camera/board system upgrade....i hope some1 can make one
2017-9-26
Use props
DocAraxá
First Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

As the question’s reply:
-        NO.
And I understand that question as a situation like, for example, the Inspire. I have different types of cameras to choose.
But if the question was:
Would you buy a new MP with a better camera?
-        YES
2017-9-26
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Currently no but hopefully the newer MP 2 whenever that baby arrives, will have at better quality autofocus gimbal.
2017-9-26
Use props
Doots
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

I'd consider it if the 1080p/60 looked better than the current camera. I'm not a huge camera tech guy but even the 4k stuff looks a bit compressed. When flying over the ocean, the water looks kinda splotchy.
2017-9-27
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-9-26 03:55
As the question’s reply:
-        NO.

I'm with you on this one...I'll wait for the next version after the Platinum one to get an improved camera.
2017-9-27
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Captain
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-23 13:02

couldnt've said it better myself
2017-9-27
Use props
Bulldog
First Officer
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Love my Mavic, but it could use a better camera. I would purchase an upgrade, or buy the new Mavic 2 when it comes out.
2017-9-28
Use props
Sebb
First Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

how quickly the excitement of having a drone that fits comfortably in every smallest bag, has 3-axis gimble and decent 2.7K performance, wears off with all of you ...
given the form factor, price and what you can produce with careful camera handling - in my book the Mavic is still a f%& miracle.  i m happy with it, big smile everytime i fly

would i take a better camera? sure... but not missing it, and not keeping my fingers crossed, because think about it - if the mavic had same exact quality as Phantom, who in the world would buy a phantom any more?

2017-9-28
Use props
Olde Gunner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109140 ft
Finland

High resolution FLIR would make my day...
2017-9-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Olde Gunner Posted at 2017-9-28 07:48
High resolution FLIR would make my day...

+1 - I'd love that!
2017-9-28
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It would depend on what the upgrade would entail (quality of camera, zoom range, data rate vs price).
2017-9-28
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Provided the camera was a worthwhile upgrade yes.  The current mavic is an excellent aerial platform but with a very substandard camera attached.
A camera thats uniformly sharp with better dynamic range and ideally 10bit or so images would be fantastic. (We're never going to see variable aperture on it).  A sensible bit rate for 40k video as well would help.
If they could drag it up to gopro hero 4 quality i'd upgrade.

2017-9-28
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

If it wasn't made by DJI i would.  Customer service from DJI is by far the worst ever on this planet !!!!!!!
2017-9-29
Use props
TakeFlite
First Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

This is something I'm sure everyone would at least consider getting, I'd pay up to $600 extra for this purely because it is the only thing missing with the mavic. This would never be a reality though (at least not till other models improve greatly) because it would outsell all their other products basically rendering them bad compared to this compact, smart and cinematic drone. The 4K footage is reasonable but the photos are pretty pathetic and soft compared to the P4 series. Still happy I got it over the P4 series though
2017-9-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mavvy Posted at 2017-9-29 15:17
If it wasn't made by DJI i would.  Customer service from DJI is by far the worst ever on this planet !!!!!!!

I'm sorry to read your unpleasant experience. Could you tell us your case number? I'd like to see whether I can help you.
2017-10-13
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-13 02:29
I'm sorry to read your unpleasant experience. Could you tell us your case number? I'd like to see whether I can help you.

I don't have a case number because the videos that i provided to you last year the Mod said the tilted horizon is normal and to this that and the other to fix it and I did and none of it worked, then I was told to send it i back but i was scared to because of the horror stories of cost and not getting back your original aircraft.  Online tech support is a joke and they all say something different.  My experiences are less than good with your company and I also don't like the fact when there is a known issue, they hang you Mods out to dry by keeping us at bay until they take their sweet time to resolve things.  It's a shame to because this Mavic has huge potential to be a great drone.  The GDU drone is now very appealing to me minus the lack of range.   I appreciate your response Susan
2017-10-13
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

Mavic Pro Gold

I don't know. I mean if they upgrade the camera it might fit or may not. Most likely since they have the Platinum next will be Mavic Pro Gold.
The better camera will most likely work better with a Gold is the trend just like the ESC and new props with Platinum.

Just like to have a durable camera like the P3. I smacked that thing into a ladder and it dumps camera on the ground ripping all the cables out. New cables and a few more parts and she was like new with no problems. We know the Mavic camera is extremely fragile.
2017-10-14
Use props
Celsus
Captain
United Kingdom

It's reassuring to see DJI responding to the needs of the film industry with the launch of the X7 camera and lens range for the professional film industry. Let's hope DJI now turn their attention to the Mavic and Phantom range. If it means a product with the same portability and flight capability at a price point that is closer to the Phantom 4 pro so be it! I have no doubt DJI could combine research and technology to produce a single product that would keep both Mavic and Phantom customers happy.
2017-10-14
Use props
Jyunte
First Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

A variable aperture would help a great deal. Editing in a 24 or 30 fps timeline and having footage where the frame rate is variable between shots (because lighting conditions have changed) is far from ideal. A variable aperture and ND filters would go a long way to solving that problem.
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mavvy Posted at 2017-10-13 08:14
I don't have a case number because the videos that i provided to you last year the Mod said the tilted horizon is normal and to this that and the other to fix it and I did and none of it worked, then I was told to send it i back but i was scared to because of the horror stories of cost and not getting back your original aircraft.  Online tech support is a joke and they all say something different.  My experiences are less than good with your company and I also don't like the fact when there is a known issue, they hang you Mods out to dry by keeping us at bay until they take their sweet time to resolve things.  It's a shame to because this Mavic has huge potential to be a great drone.  The GDU drone is now very appealing to me minus the lack of range.   I appreciate your response Susan

Thanks for getting back to us. I understand your disappointment. Please believe that DJI would love to provide more chances and amazing experiences for more people to explore the world with our products. We are keeping trying to improve our product and service to bring better experience for our valued customers. Sir, I still hope that you would have a nice trip with DJI product. I sincerely sorry about all inconvenience. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would depend on the cost and how much the added weight of a new camera would impact on portability - I use my P4P for image quality, Mavic for portability with 4K and Spark for fun, panos and flying in areas I wouldn't take the other two. I'm sure the next gen Mavic will have a camera upgrade though. Bigger sensor and increased MBPS would be great! Time will tell.
2017-10-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Everyone seems to forget that DJI would send you a pre-crashed refurb in-place of YOUR Mavic.  Just going off the plethora of threads & other forum news.

I would, however, BUY the NEW CAMERA'D Mavic.  I'd NEVER, EVER send mine in.  I'd eBay it.
2017-10-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-15 12:37
It would depend on the cost and how much the added weight of a new camera would impact on portability - I use my P4P for image quality, Mavic for portability with 4K and Spark for fun, panos and flying in areas I wouldn't take the other two. I'm sure the next gen Mavic will have a camera upgrade though. Bigger sensor and increased MBPS would be great! Time will tell.

Well, they had a chance to upgrade this new Mavic, but wanted to milk the current camera setup for a bit longer.  There ARE upgrades in this form factor made by Sony.  They've been out since Mavic 1, hence the lack of usable non-60fps is stupid.  Sony has many different iterations of IMX sensors.  

You've got to leave 'some' tech out, you know, for the next 'upgrade.'
2017-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules